welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2014-05-08: Off 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ktern

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm reading this as being about those guys who spend a lot of money on a girl and feel like this gives them some kind of ownership. (in this case, a lot more literal)

while that's obviously wrong, i think we all know it's a pretty common phenomenon
Hekateras

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
"Let me fix you"

Four words that send me into an angry frenzy if anything.

Also four words it is impressively stupid to say to someone waving a gun in your face. Which just goes to show how deep in his ignorant entitlement and privilege he is, that it honestly wouldn't even occur to him that it's not the best idea to tell someone who's upset and angry that their anger is a sign of something being wrong with THEM.
Yinello

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hekateras wrote:
Yinello wrote:
"Let me fix you"

Four words that send me into an angry frenzy if anything.

Also four words it is impressively stupid to say to someone waving a gun in your face. Which just goes to show how deep in his ignorant entitlement and privilege he is, that it honestly wouldn't even occur to him that it's not the best idea to tell someone who's upset and angry that their anger is a sign of something being wrong with THEM.

It's slightly hilarious though.

"Oh she's waving a gun in my face, she must just be a little emotional like women always get! Let me use my mansplaining rationality and fix things right up!"

I'm pretty sure in real life that if someone held a shotgun in your face, the first thing you'd do is tell the person they can have your money.
OklahomanSun

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Slick of years past would have made a comment in the last panel that he can see up her skirt.

Maybe that's restraint and experience?

j/k
Clothahump

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tat is really going out in the weeds with this stuff. Is there an end game for it?
Homeslice

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like how that last panel is drawn.
enchantedsleeper

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clothahump wrote:
Tat is really going out in the weeds with this stuff. Is there an end game for it?

My money is on Tange and Li'E running in to tackle Pixi (again) and save the day. But I actually hope that doesn't happen, because then Slick gets off scot-free again and probably won't learn anything.

And to the people saying "Just get rid of the glasses!" ... well, sure the glasses are showing him price tags on things, but they're not making him act like a dick and offer to "fix" Pixi. He's under no obligation to pay attention to what the price tags show. He's seeing an extra dimension of reality but what he does with the information is all him. So even if the glasses were gone, he wouldn't just snap out of it and stop being a self-centred prick. He'd probably just miss the extra knowledge.

Yinello

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know... He seemed to be doing a little (tiny bit) better before the glasses appeared. Kind of feel like Kcils is in those glasses radiating his personality off on Slick.
SweetRevenge

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of those rare times in a while where I'm actually itching to find out what happens next with this webcomic
Moor

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply deleting the glasses, yes, wouldn't change anything -- but removing the glasses, or seeing the glasses broken, would be symbolic of removing that perspective or seeing its flaws, and so would indeed be accompanied by a dramatic "I'm wrong", or at least "wait, what if I'm wrong -- I need to think this over teeter over the edge of the next step in my redemption arc".
Felgraf

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
I don't know... He seemed to be doing a little (tiny bit) better before the glasses appeared. Kind of feel like Kcils is in those glasses radiating his personality off on Slick.

I was about to say "I don't know, that last line seemed dumb, even for 'normal' slick." It's really startng to feel like slick doesn't actually have a whole lot of agency at all, in some ways.
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Midnight Tea

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felgraf wrote:
I was about to say "I don't know, that last line seemed dumb, even for 'normal' slick." It's really startng to feel like slick doesn't actually have a whole lot of agency at all, in some ways.

That could actually describe a recurring theme in this comic. Slick has always been a sort of reactive personality, never really taking charge of his life or his situation. Even from the very first strip, his attempt to sell his soul was a a reactive/impulse decision -- literally the first line of dialogue for the entire comic is a non-committal "what the hell".

It's actually rather striking how little Slick has changed, actually, compared to the mood of the comic around him. The original audience was to be sympathetic with this poor idiot with a heart of gold and blue balls. Squig was the one we were supposed to be a little put-off by -- gluttonous, macho and arguably even more shameless.
As the comic's gone on, he and Squig sort of wound up switching roles. Squig's general swagger, ignorance and complicitness in the operations of the patriarchy is counterbalanced by his adorable eccentricities, unquestioned acceptance of other people and the great joy he takes in simple things -- the dudebro equivalent of Winnie the Pooh. Whereas Slick has become ever more neurotic, entitled and hypersensitive, as if in protest of slowly losing any claim he could have to being the comic's protagonist.
zarus

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slick's a docile consumer. The bros are, too, Slick's just not as good at hiding it.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, slick...you couldn't have come up with a worse thing to say if you'd thought all night. you'd better hope she doesn't know all the definitions of 'fixed'.

this is a good time to at least get his glasses knocked off, though...wonder if that will let him "see the light"?

but i'm betting tangy and lily will get there first, and stop her. although, no bets on what tangy might do to slick....
goombaboy

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I might be wrong but I think this is the first time slick has ever said "please"...
Nothin' wrong with witchfinding. I'd like to be a witchfinder. It's just, well you've got to take it in turns. Today we'll go out witchfinding, an' tomorrow we could hide, an it'd be the witches' turn to find US...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: