welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

May 10: Cliffhanger!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Onimaru

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for that Miss Magenta Smile that's exactly what I was thinking/imagining, when I said she went 'guru' on Pixie's ass Razz Explaining that while violence can be justified, Example: Guy who tore the other Fembot apart, deserved an asskicking. Killing however is another factor all together, hate begets hate, and a never ending cycle begins.

Now of course this IS a fairly idealistic concept. I'll be the first to admit that some people just DON'T change and will do everything in their power to tear down any positive motion that might take away their power, privilege and position.
ktern

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm so impressed by this fancomic
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I call bullshit.
Ennis

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ktern wrote:
i'm so impressed by this fancomic

Thanks to Miss M's fanart I now ship Xanthe and Slick. I tried to resist for so long, but this was the last straw. THANKS MISS M. I DIDN'T ASK FOR THIS.
Yinello

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy shit so much continuation. I can't handle.

Here's hoping when Xanthe saves the day she will (accidentally) ride over those shitty glasses.
Adyon

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been lurking over the forum's reaction to these the last few days. Haven't felt the need to chime in, but just want to say...Wow. This has been a hell of a ride.

I can't wait to see what happens tomorrow.

Also, even if that's not at all what happens, the comic was wonderful Miss Magenta! Makes it easier to wait for tomorrow. Wink

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... a surprising amount of concern over Slick's fate. I don't know. His characterization has been jerked around so much that I actually don't particularly care about him anymore. Maybe if she blew his head off something new might happen. Maybe Slick would go to hell, maybe Nique would find out and actually be upset at what feminist practicises she's adopted have led to, who knows? Maybe something else would happen.

At this point, I can't say that I care if Slick dies, which is kind of a damning thing to say about a character. Neutral
Midnight Tea

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's with Slick's sudden corporate manager language? It seems quite bizarre given that's kind of high class and intellectual for him.

Incidentally, isn't this comic kind of like a metaphor for Sinfest's overall direction over the last few years? Pixi basically seems like she represents the original intense anger Tat might've felt towards his old ideals and a desire to take it out on the symbol of those ideals -- Slick.

Honestly, I've been headcanon shipping Slick and Xanthe from the very start. It seems odd at first glance, but they have more in common than not:

1. They're both quite short and usually cover their eyes with shades.
2. They've both been the semi-protagonist of Sinfest at some point and have their own hatedoms.
3. They both have resisted a gender-archy at some point in the comic. (albeit Slick's is pure fantasy)
4. They're generally both "reactive" characters regarding events of Sinfest.
5. They're both a bit shortsighted.

Let me quantify 5 a bit though. Slick is shortsighted in the sense that he traditionally couldn't see anything past his manchild needs or wants. Xanthe has the opposite problem -- she's so farsighted that she often misses what's right in front of her and doesn't really act in a way that brings change beyond showing her frustration with the here and now. Wait, frustration with the present compared to what they feel entitled to? That's an unofficial 6 right there.

What could they offer each other, though?

Well, when Slick isn't being whiny and needy he's actually pretty chill and knows what'll make him happy. He generally does an okay job attending to those needs, whereas Xanthe can be a bit paralyzed when dealing with her feelings. Studying and/or being disgusted by Slick could inspire her to finally open up to others or look after her own needs finally.

Conversely, Xanthe could inspire Slick to finally pull his head out of his own butt and try to make the world around him a better place. He doesn't need to be a feminist to do this or even really significantly change on the outside or cease being Slick to be a better person. He can still be the comic's dense, romantic dudebro dumbass. But what if, say, he stood up for little Minique in some fashion as a potential storyline? Without an ulterior motive for once, beyond being reminded of a friend. He can share a core ideal without sharing a cause or the desire to proactively push it.

I'm really hoping Tat doesn't go the dark route with this, in other words. It'd set the comic in a really dark font. A Hellvetica Standard if you will -- smash the glasses.

By the way wouldn't it be awesome that the first time Slick gains some degree of self awareness, we get to see his eyes briefly?
OklahomanSun

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are people placing Xanthe into a position where she has any sort of empathy for Slick or any guys.

Just because she's slightly more articulate than the rest of the gang doesn't mean that she'd be very bothered to see a guy get shot.

In any case, I'll give you the real probabilities.

There is a zero percent ( 0% ) chance that Slick was shot.

The camera angle on the final is a dead give away. In the entire existence of visual art, the main character has never been shot when the view angle is turned away for the gun shot.
StateOfBedlam

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homeslice wrote:

Same.
Echo

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so... wow. Stuff is happening!

Tomorrow's reveal should get interesting. Shots fired...

I'm with Pxsomethingsomething on this. He's not on her side, particularly after the way he was viewing her yesterday. Still, that's not a good enough reason to shoot him.

I'm wondering what she *could* have shot for it to be a non-fatal wounding that somehow approximated what had been done to her...
Eten

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did Slick just die?
MerchManDan

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whooooa.

So, here's another theory about what just happened: PX was about to pull the trigger but was interrupted by getting shot herself, presumably by DevilTech Security or maybe even another Weapon F. This is happening in the factory parking lot, after all.
Echo

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been considering that it's Pxsomethingsomething who gets shot... but by whom?

Another Weaponised Fembot would presumably use her hair-weapon. They've not been shown with guns at any point, I don't think. And the title says "Shots fired" so I think we have some degree of certainty that the Blam comes from a gun.

Lil' E and Tange are unarmed, and elsewhere. Milton's gone home. It's not Squig. So who's doing the shooting?

Best guess so far is a remote drone, but they have Stormtrooper levels of accuracy - suddenly hitting Pxsomethingsomething with a single shot, when there's a risk of friendly fire, is stretching things somewhat.
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OklahomanSun wrote:
Why are people placing Xanthe into a position where she has any sort of empathy for Slick or any guys.

Just because she's slightly more articulate than the rest of the gang doesn't mean that she'd be very bothered to see a guy get shot.

cause she DOES canonically care about slick to some degree? we're not sure how far that degree goes but she has canonically shown that she is personally interested in seeing slick becoming a better person, and she WAS warming up to him as a potential friend at one point. like the literal point of public enemy (literal fav strip of all time i love it so much) is that she feels betrayed by slick's lack of action when she could have used his help immediately after he declares himself her ally and comrade. even though it was sleaze's fault.

which is why i want her to save him, i want a parallel to the scene completely. the mentioned scene in public enemy represents the idea of slick turning a blind eye at seeing someone being mistreated - but xanthe would never do that. imagine slick being physically shown that a TRUE ally of justice would never hesitate to save someone in need. even if she doesn't care about him as a person she's still a champion of justice - and saving him is the right thing to do. an act that could inspire him to improve himself and/or help others.

it wouldn't be the first time someone from the sisterhood came out of no where to save someone they don't need to.

Eten wrote:
Did Slick just die?

we aren't really going to know until sunday. it could go either way at the moment! maybe rogue didn't really shoot him in the head and he isn't dead. or maybe she really did shoot him, and he is really dead. we don't know yet.

Midnight Tea wrote:
Honestly, I've been headcanon shipping Slick and Xanthe from the very start. It seems odd at first glance, but they have more in common than not

hell yeah, man, i've been shipping them since like... xanthe's second strip from the sisterhood revival... originally as a joke, a joke that became DANGEROUSLY REAL... and i love your analysis of their similarities as well as the benefits of a relationship between the two! ive done my own analysis regarding the idea of their relationship in the past, and had come to similar conclusions regarding the nature of their characterization and dynamics. its really interesting though. slick and xanthe's relationship and their dynamics are REALLY interesting, and strips where they interact are almost always hilarious imo.

slick/xanthe is a pairing that is thematically inspired by and based on balance and equality. and that's Just Neat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: