welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

May 12: Holy shit
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Meddler

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 3:07 am    Post subject: May 12: Holy shit Reply with quote

I don't give birth to profanities, but...

Click here to see my artwork!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TerseRiddle

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 3:07 am    Post subject: Holy Shit Batman!!! Reply with quote

Yeah... that's about the reaction i was expecting.
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slick looks pretty cute in panel three... and four... that's all i care about rn

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:
slick looks pretty cute in panel three... and four... that's all i care about rn

He looks like he doesn't give a crap about what just happened to me, which makes me want to shoot him. Can we reprise the past few strips with an alternate ending, please?
Onimaru

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be understandable if he was in shock at this point..... I'll wait until he opens his mouth and see what the Puppeteer has had him learn to say from the experience Razz
Random Wanderer

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well maybe if those GLASSES weren't in the way I could figure out more of what his expression was. Razz
Istancow

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random Wanderer wrote:
Miss Magenta wrote:

He looks like he doesn't give a crap about what just happened to me, which makes me want to shoot him. Can we reprise the past few strips with an alternate ending, please?

I think sort of the point of this strip is to show that not everyone reacts the same way to traumatic events. You know, contrasting Squig's hysteria with Slick's silence.

Last edited by Istancow on Mon May 12, 2014 3:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Leohan

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random Wanderer wrote:
Miss Magenta wrote:

I agree... Not about the alternate ending, thing, but doesn't he look like he don't even mind it, specially in panel 3?

It's the kind of reaction that I would take if the hat had just been blown by wind. "Oh, gotta pick this up. Alright, let's go for those tacos!"
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random Wanderer wrote:

well i mean, why should he care? this isnt the first time his life has been threatened. like, hes had his life threatened several times over plenty of stupid shit, and hes been to hell several times. its like "oh wow look at that, happened again"

of course he may be thinking about it, may be thinking about some stuff, but we dont know for sure, not until he does something that suggests he is. right now hes in the "well that happened, gotta brush myself off and leave the situation as soon as possible" stage. as soon as hes out, then we can reserve judgement on that. but even then, its not like tat shows us thoughtbubbles of what the characters are actually physically thinking anymore... and we cant fully see his expression behind his glasses, either, so we'll never truly know the full extent of how hes feeling.

it is very likely that he genuinely does not give a shit. which i personally find reasonable, considering the shit we've seen him experience before. nothing really new. and of course, genuine development is SO fucking rare in this comic. of course i do want some kind of development for slicky. a terrible person he may be, but he is a terrible person i genuinely enjoy as a character and can always see redemption for... provided the narrative provides him with the tools for change. and we know just how much tat LOOOOVES to dangle those tools in front of him, ever so taunting.

but on another note please dont fuckin talk to me about wanting to "shoot him" like Literally Don't, thats gross and creepy and also really unnecessary and unrelated considering i was just talking about how i thought he looked cute in a specific set of panels

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the camp who finds his reaction to this really kind of creepy. I mean, out of context, it's not. He just got up and picked up his hat like nothing happened. It's the complete lack of emoting plus how each panel draws out the "recovery" that makes it look really kind of unnatural, like you can almost imagine how lifeless and soundless the motion is. It's a cinematic thing. Even his limbs look a bit longer than usual. (insert Attack on Titan joke)

If this was still Slick as we once knew him, he'd probably just be sitting there dazed for three panels, sitting up and dusting himself off on panel three while Squig is panicking. Then on panel four he'd say "Bitches be crazy."

Something is definitely wrong with him and it's pretty clear that Sleaze's glasses are affecting him more than superficially.

EDIT: If I'm allowed to say it in passing, I don't get any of you who actually were pulling for him to be shot/killed. It would have been a very dark moment and even if it transitioned to him cartoonishly trying to escape Hell, it'd still mark the crossing of a moral event horizon for Px.
Night Spade

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Later that day, Squig gets a fine for swearing as HOLY is a four-letter word on D-Tech grounds.
Homeslice

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised to still see us on the same topic.

I agree that everyone reacts to trauma differently. Let's see what Slick has to say before reaching a conclusion.
diagram12345

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Squig seems so innocent and cute in the recent strips, especially contrasted with a off-putting, dark Slick. I'd like to give Squiggy a big hug and a burrito.
OklahomanSun

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having actually had a gun fired near my head before for emphasis, I can tell you that for some people, once the situation is over, the need for any significant reaction goes away as well.

Re: Uh Oh thread from a few days back.

Me: "I got robbed, Boss. They had a gun and the shot it in the air and then took all the money."

Boss: "You alright? You need to go home?"

Me: "Why would I need to go home? I'll give the statement to the cops and get back on the road."

Slick is perhaps in shock, or perhaps he's just being blase about the whole thing since it's done.

Or perhaps (most likely) he's just written by someone who doesn't really know what to do with him. In fact, the whole strip today is pretty much filler for someone who isn't sure where to go with this now that he's ended part of an arc without any major development for Slick.
MerchManDan

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm mildly amused that Slicks hat gets knocked off as soon as he puts it on, and I'm content to believe that this comic - nay, the entire Vengeance arc - exists solely to bring us that joke.

Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: