welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2014-05-16: Did you Know Her 2
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Homeslice

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 3:14 am    Post subject: 2014-05-16: Did you Know Her 2 Reply with quote

And it looks like Xanthe and co will soon be on the case.
TerseRiddle

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...how does she know this? Is Mary Sue psychic too?
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TerseRiddle wrote:

She picked it up and opened it, then stared into the chambers.

I don't know if you've ever seen a shotgun, but it's pretty obvious whether it's loaded once you do that.
Onimaru

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, woot for the arrival of Xanthe.... But WTF with the whole 'not loaded' BS? So Pixie never really intended on harming anybody, just 'scare' Milton by pretending to Snipe him from a window without him seeing her do it?

Or she just didn't know guns had to be loaded to work? Is this meant to show that in some way her actions should be viewed with leniency, because she couldn't REALLY hurt anybody regardless of her intent?

I don't know, this one leaves me with a weird feeling, not only has Slick apparently adopted the stance of 'Crazy out of Control Fembot' Tried to kill me for no good reason. Rather than, 'Justifiably furious Freed Slavebot who was taking things MUCH too far was giving me a chance to reflect on my choices and I almost blew it.'

But also Tat seems to have the story primed for Pixie to be viewed as blameless and/or her actions will be downplayed as 'not that bad' because she couldn't have carried them out anyways. I don't know to me it would still be filed under Attempted Murder in my mind, just because she couldn't, doesn't mean she wouldn't.

That being said I'm still hoping for Pixie to be saved and someone helps her come to terms with what she's seen and suffered to help her move beyond the whole homicidal Rage thing.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She's incompetent. We already knew she was incompetent. That's the only way Big D's rubbish drones could take her down so easily, unless maybe they're specialized for taking out his own tech? Or maybe they had enough of the element of surprise despite being absolutely terrible at their supposed purpose of snooping?
Nevamore

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She was never programmed for violence. Maybe it just never occurred to her to check to see if the gun was loaded or not.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
TerseRiddle wrote:

I don't know if you've ever seen a shotgun, but it's pretty obvious whether it's loaded once you do that.

being able to tell if a gun is loaded by picking it up and checking it is obviously a mary sue power blaaaaaaargh
Ennis

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know much about guns, but I don't think you store them loaded right? Maybe she just grabbed it and assumed it was loaded because she doesn't have much knowledge outside of fembot things.
Midnight Tea

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TerseRiddle wrote:

Whoa, whoa, whoa . Can we cut Xanthe a break? She wasn't saying "it's not loaded" as a defense of Px or to make a comment about Slick. She's just observing that it isn't loaded.

Also, "Mary Sue" ? People still use that term? Isn't it like, the internet speak equivalent of unironically calling someone a "whippersnapper"? Not to mention it's pretty problematic.

All that said, I'd agree that she was some degree of one in her initial appearances. I think of what most people refer to as "mary sues" are the story equivalent of an invasive species (such as the cane toad). She had no real faults and she mostly existed to shame the other characters for even existing. As Sinfest has changed/evolved and we have actually seen her subtly characterized/realized, she doesn't really deserve the hate so much anymore. She might not strictly deserve to be liked by most readers yet but the potential is there.

By the way, as an aside -- anyone notice subtle allegory going on here? If Px didn't really have anything to bear against the dominance of the patriarchy except her own resentment for the status quo and grandstanding with an useless weapon... well, let's just say the Sisterhood as a whole really ought to take a long hard look at this incident.

(by the way, the fact the gun wasn't loaded doesn't excuse Px. Attempted murder is still about acting upon an intention, regardless of the possibility of its success.)

Last edited by Midnight Tea on Fri May 16, 2014 4:17 am; edited 3 times in total
stripeypants

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAT CLEARLY HATES MEN. THAT JERK.

THE BRAIN HUGGING PARASITE TAT SWALLOWED WHEN HE DRANK THE FEMINIST KOOL-AID CLEARLY MADE HIM FORGET HOW TO LOGIC AND IS RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL THE THINGS THAT THE IMPORTANT READERS (THE MEN FOLX) DON'T LIKE.

WHICH SHOULD MEAN HE IS NOT AT ALL RESPONSIBLE AND MAYBE I SHOULDN'T COMPLAIN ABOUT HIM, BUT....UH....

...I'm gonna go get a snack or something.....

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ennis wrote:
I don't know much about guns, but I don't think you store them loaded right? Maybe she just grabbed it and assumed it was loaded because she doesn't have much knowledge outside of fembot things.

folks sometimes do... supposedly 'for protection', but i think they just hate their kids.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ennis wrote:

Li'l E has a lot of weapons, so I'd assume he'd probably take care of them properly. He might have been angry at the whole world, but I think he had enough presence of mind to not want to screw things up accidentally. Also, he doesn't appear to have actually gone on massive killing sprees, so he probably never really had cause to use his arsenal.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Midnight Tea wrote:
TerseRiddle wrote:

Whoa, whoa, whoa . Can we cut Xanthe a break? She wasn't saying "it's not loaded" as a defense of Px or to make a comment about Slick. She's just observing that it isn't loaded.

Also, "Mary Sue" ? People still use that term? Isn't it like, the internet speak equivalent of unironically calling someone a "whippersnapper"? Not to mention it's pretty problematic.

All that said, I'd agree that she was some degree of one in her initial appearances. I think of what most people refer to as "mary sues" are the story equivalent of an invasive species (such as the cane toad). She had no real faults and she mostly existed to shame the other characters for even existing. As Sinfest has changed/evolved and we have actually seen her subtly characterized/realized, she doesn't really deserve the hate so much anymore. She might not strictly deserve to be liked by most readers yet but the potential is there.

By the way, as an aside -- anyone notice subtle allegory going on here? If Px didn't really have anything to bear against the dominance of the patriarchy except her own resentment for the status quo and grandstanding with an useless weapon... well, let's just say the Sisterhood as a whole really ought to take a long hard look at this incident.

(by the way, the fact the gun wasn't loaded doesn't excuse Px. Attempted murder is still about acting upon an intention, regardless of the possibility of its success.)

Once upon a time Sary Mue was teleported to Sinfest by the mysterious plot-generator.

By the way, Sary Mue was a vampire, but didn't like hurting people. Also original character donot steal kk.

Upon arriving, Sary Mue immediately bitchslapped Slick, and he fell in love.

That's when Sary Mue told him about her dark angsty vampiric past. He thought maybe his friends could help so he rounded up the gang. Monique in particular wasn't entirely cooperative until she saw Sary Mue and fell in love, after which they all became Sary Mue's sidekicks on the Angsty Quest of Doom.

They kicked Big D's ass, then they stormed heaven and kicked God's ass too, so God granted Sary Mue a boon. Sary Mue wished for world peace for everyone who deserved it aka everyone who liked Sary Mue which was most people except the ones who deserved to suffer.

And then they all happily praised Sary Mue for the rest of time.

The end.

this is my first fanfic please be nice also don't steal my oc k
Leohan

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
Heretical Rants wrote:
TerseRiddle wrote:

being able to tell if a gun is loaded by picking it up and checking it is obviously a mary sue power blaaaaaaargh

Give him a break, he clearly didn't notice the shotgun
WellYesYouMay

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary Sue is totally still used... in the sense that it's the name of an awesome girl geek news site.
Ok, I know that my opinion is very understandably not of major importance since I'm mostly a lurker, but I'm getting into the serious disappointed range. Like, I know he's a representation of a thing, but can slick maybe represent how a person can grow and change? You know, just because we keep seeing him start to? And seriously, what IS the point of it not being loaded? I don't even begin to get how that's a good plot point in the context of the comic.
I do hate to whine. I know I'm no a regular, but I am an old reader (14 years-ish? Somewhere around there.) I was starting to get excited about the comic again, but lately I have no idea where it's going.
Love the keeping on plot, but I wish the arc made some sort of sense in the way of character development.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: