welcome to the fest
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2014-05-16: Did you Know Her 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
OklahomanSun



Joined: 16 Mar 2014
Posts: 362

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SA_Penguin wrote:
Never, ever, let your gun
Pointed be at anyone

Whether or not it loaded be
Matters not the least to me


You don't play with guns - if you aim at something, the general consensus is, you're going to fire the weapon and hit the person / animal / object at the other end.
Any decent cop, witnessing the showdown, would have drawn their weapon on the Fembot. Probably opened fire, too.


Decent cop?

The fantasy discussion page thread is "Uh oh".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Miss Magenta



Joined: 09 Jun 2011
Posts: 1917
Location: im probably asleep right now

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad Xanthe showed up. And I like the fact that Slick is either CLEARLY AFFECTED even if he doesn't want to show it, or.... or he's just trying to get some sympathy out of Xanthe. Both are highly possible.

Kinda disappointed about the gun not being loaded though.... I mean, it paints Rogue as far more incompetent, which is kind of funny, but... eh...
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
SA_Penguin



Joined: 13 Feb 2011
Posts: 231
Location: Adelaide

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OklahomanSun wrote:
SA_Penguin wrote:
Never, ever, let your gun, Pointed be at anyone
Whether or not it loaded be, Matters not the least to me


You don't play with guns - if you aim at something, the general consensus is, you're going to fire the weapon and hit the person / animal / object at the other end.
Any decent cop, witnessing the showdown, would have drawn their weapon on the Fembot. Probably opened fire, too.
Decent cop?
The fantasy discussion page thread is "Uh oh".

As compared to the "trigger happy" cops you see in Hollywood movies, who would have shouted "GUN" - then opened fire.
Catching both Slick and Squig in "friendly fire"...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Geareye



Joined: 21 Mar 2013
Posts: 281

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, have to say, she probably didn't know how guns work. As people have said, she's not a combat bot. She pointed the gun at the ambulance too and even if she didn't want to kill Slick (which is up for question) her goal towards Milton was probably that or at least to cause some physical harm.

So, the question is, what exactly is the point of the last line? Doesn't make the fembot less moraly questionable and/or dangerous, she still has the intent to kill. And it probably won't help Slick either , it can't undo the fear he experienced in the past (if he did..glasses...*cough*... emotion-killing greedy glasses *cough*) and he's not in any shotgun-related danger right now, px is away.

*shrug* probably just an observation and I'm reading too much into it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Echo



Joined: 18 Jul 2013
Posts: 645

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the biggest implication is that whatever the intent, he wasn't actually in immediate danger of being shot because the weapon was empty. So his "This close!" is at the very least, largely undermined.

And I think that plays somewhat into the conversation between Slick and Pxsomethingsomething. In that just like the way that *she* wasn't the one that needed fixing, *he* isn't the one in danger...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Timpie



Joined: 28 Jul 2013
Posts: 78
Location: Mainland Europe - Belgium

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do fembots even know what guns do? Perhaps they just see them as batons of power, when pointed at a person, it makes them grovel and beg for mercy.

Or maybe she knows how the gun works and has been tugging on the trigger the moment she spotted Milton, just doesn't know it needs ammo.
_________________
Vode an
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
khan



Joined: 10 Feb 2013
Posts: 168

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:
I'm glad Xanthe showed up. And I like the fact that Slick is either CLEARLY AFFECTED even if he doesn't want to show it, or.... or he's just trying to get some sympathy out of Xanthe. Both are highly possible.

Kinda disappointed about the gun not being loaded though.... I mean, it paints Rogue as far more incompetent, which is kind of funny, but... eh...


when i read it wasnt loaded, i was all like whoa! the ineffectual angry/violent woman trope! i wasnt sure if i should be offended.


Last edited by khan on Sat May 17, 2014 2:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Onimaru



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 187

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:
I'm glad Xanthe showed up. And I like the fact that Slick is either CLEARLY AFFECTED even if he doesn't want to show it, or.... or he's just trying to get some sympathy out of Xanthe. Both are highly possible.

Kinda disappointed about the gun not being loaded though.... I mean, it paints Rogue as far more incompetent, which is kind of funny, but... eh...


This is kinda what I'm afraid of, that Slick is going to be 'completely fine' from the experience but try and milk it for sympathy.

Or, and I really hope not, that Xanthe will belittle the experience because he was in no real danger. Real danger or not, as far as he knew he was one finger twitch from death and the psychological trauma from that kind of thing can be very serious. That being said, I really can't see Xanthe as being that insensitive, not to anyone.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Leohan



Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Posts: 1019

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Onimaru wrote:
That being said, I really can't see Xanthe as being that insensitive, not to anyone.

...I kind of can.

This strip already seems to make light of the fact that, loaded or not, someone aimed the barrel of a gun straight at his face. Kind of a 'shrug it off, dudebro. You weren't in danger.'

Might be wrong, but by comparing this to other reactions that Xanthe has to stuff it looks like that to me.
_________________
Sinfest Juggalo Worshipper
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Echo



Joined: 18 Jul 2013
Posts: 645

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect Xanthe's reaction to the danger Slick believed he was in might be somewhat overshadowed by concern for the danger that Pxsomethingsomething is currently in...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rune



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 1053

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It reads to me as an inversion of the 'emotional-woman, logical-man" trope, though not a very nuanced one. Xanthe is taking a reasoned and logical approach to assess the actual danger of the situation while Slick is freaking out, (whether it's legit feels or attention seeking, doesn't matter to the trope.)

How often do you see the reverse play out, when it's the female character who had a brush with death and is freaked out by it (which is humanly understandable, but is included simply to contrast to:) and the bad-ass male hero takes the detached/analytical/competent role?

How that reads differently, and the conclusions that people jump to when seeing it (that may or may not overlook details present, ahem,) and how those are different to reactions to the more common trope, are worth examining.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Skittles



Joined: 11 Jan 2009
Posts: 33

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ennis wrote:
I don't know much about guns, but I don't think you store them loaded right? Maybe she just grabbed it and assumed it was loaded because she doesn't have much knowledge outside of fembot things.


My vote's with you.

On a different note, I'm not a big fan of how the tone of this strip seems to suggest that because he was not in danger, his experience is less authentic and therefore less meaningful. Maybe it's my own personal lens of perspective that's causing it to come across like that. Maybe it's just how a pragmatist like Xanthe would react. I don't know... it bothers me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mouse



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 17267
Location: under the bed

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Echo wrote:
And I think that plays somewhat into the conversation between Slick and Pxsomethingsomething. In that just like the way that *she* wasn't the one that needed fixing, *he* isn't the one in danger...


that gives it an interesting resonance.

i am predicting that the first thing that happens, when PX gets to wherever the ambulance is taking her, is that milton downloads her memory. and then maybe we will get some idea of what she was thinking. ignorant of guns? feeling she needed to threaten, but didn't want to risk harm? maybe even wanting suicide by cop? - remember she tried to kill herself before.

so we will see.

or not - who knows. it's sinfest!
_________________
aka: neverscared!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Felgraf



Joined: 10 Jul 2012
Posts: 730

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rune wrote:
It reads to me as an inversion of the 'emotional-woman, logical-man" trope, though not a very nuanced one. Xanthe is taking a reasoned and logical approach to assess the actual danger of the situation while Slick is freaking out, (whether it's legit feels or attention seeking, doesn't matter to the trope.)

How often do you see the reverse play out, when it's the female character who had a brush with death and is freaked out by it (which is humanly understandable, but is included simply to contrast to:) and the bad-ass male hero takes the detached/analytical/competent role?

How that reads differently, and the conclusions that people jump to when seeing it (that may or may not overlook details present, ahem,) and how those are different to reactions to the more common trope, are worth examining.


Maybe, but.. it still doesn't entirely work?

I mean, even if Slick had been logical, there wouldn't have been any way for him to figure out it wasn't loaded when he had it shoved under his nose.

/plus.. weren't a lot of people *just* talking about how 'disturbed' they were that slick *didn't* seem to initially be reacting emotionally?
_________________
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rune



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 1053

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felgraf wrote:
Rune wrote:
It reads to me as an inversion of the 'emotional-woman, logical-man" trope, though not a very nuanced one. Xanthe is taking a reasoned and logical approach to assess the actual danger of the situation while Slick is freaking out, (whether it's legit feels or attention seeking, doesn't matter to the trope.)

How often do you see the reverse play out, when it's the female character who had a brush with death and is freaked out by it (which is humanly understandable, but is included simply to contrast to:) and the bad-ass male hero takes the detached/analytical/competent role?

How that reads differently, and the conclusions that people jump to when seeing it (that may or may not overlook details present, ahem,) and how those are different to reactions to the more common trope, are worth examining.


Maybe, but.. it still doesn't entirely work?

I mean, even if Slick had been logical, there wouldn't have been any way for him to figure out it wasn't loaded when he had it shoved under his nose.

/plus.. weren't a lot of people *just* talking about how 'disturbed' they were that slick *didn't* seem to initially be reacting emotionally?


It often plays out just like that with the genders reversed in all kinds of stories. That's kind of my point. It's somehow more obvious that it doesn't work, that there's something wrong, when the genders are flipped.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group