welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

May 17th Scurred
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mouse

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OklahomanSun wrote:
mouse wrote:
oh, yeah, i forgot:
OklahomanSun wrote:

So. Thread's dead.

the proper phrase is "this ends now". it won't work either, but it will get you a bigger laugh.

and needless to say, you demonstrated all the maturity and ability for self-examination that i expected of you!

Is this you being hard?

I'm "hard"ly impressed.

Yet another claim, by the way. Care to explain where I failed self examination?

Or is it more convenient to just insist that I did without any backup...

well, let's see - i posted (here)
Quote:
The point is, calling someone a pedo is NOT softer than calling someone an asshole. (For evidence witness the number of times "asshole " gets thrown around here without comment vs. the speed with which you were jumped on for "pedo".

Do you understand this on any level at all? I strongly suspect that you response will indeed solidify the negative reaction people have to you - and that you will continue not to have a clue.

and your response (here) was:
Quote:
I have realised that only one thing will satisfy you.

Here it is.

I'm sorry. I don't understand. I'm simply not physically blessed with the raw intellectual capability to understand anything you've said.

now, seriously - if you said to someone "hey, that thing you said? that was really pretty nasty. it was actually nastier that that thing the other guy called you. don't you realize that?" and that person gave you the same response you gave me - would you interpret that to mean that the other person had listed to what you said, processed it, and given you a reasonable response? or would you think that person was just being an immature asshole - oh, i'm sorry, an immature pedo (i know you think it's nicer to be called a pedo than an asshole) (see - i listen!)
OklahomanSun

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You also posted it well after the thread had gone through what apparently are Sinfest's versions of "locking" threads, and after I'd already posted my mea culpa and said that I was both willing and interested in being done.

You are beating the shit out of a horse. I'm no veterinarian, but all empirical evidence seems to indicate that the horse is suffering from a rather immediate and permanent lack of higher brain function.

You've also indicated an ungodly amount of times that you're completely without any fucks given regarding myself, my arguments, or anything I have to say in rebuttal, so I just figured we're done.

Since we're not done, I can only assume it's because you're essentially incapable of letting anything go.

So again.

I think this is probably most appropriate.

I'll use it twice because Starbuck.

Since you won't let this go without at least a token reply, here it is.

When I made my comment, I said "a little bit pedo" and then followed it with a pedo bear post. If that doesn't communicate an attempt at dark humour to you, you're quite simply fucking retarded.

When people called me an asshole and a racist, there was no humour involved. They were simply being directly insulting with absolutely no joking.

I find it hard to believe that you really didn't notice there was a joke and that you seriously believed that in that thread I was calling Miss M an actual pedophile.

I think this is manufactured outrage. You're like Sean Hannity's little mini me.

Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the "locking threads" thing was a bad analogy on Moor's part

personally, I enjoy dumping collections of illustrations. That's the base level: my personal enjoyment.

next is context.
context is important.
In this particular context, it communicates that I'm not taking someone seriously, or that I don't think the current conversation is worthwhile. The images themselves add levity.

on the next level up, group thread dynamics, it can successfully hijack a major chunk of the thread if other people play along, which they usually do, especially if they're tired of some belligerent fuckspigot's antics: in this case, that belligerent fuckspigot is you. Of course, image spam isn't the only thing that can do this. You may have noticed references to toasters and dildos? Yes. Those were epic threads.

The new context is that you're supposedly done with this thread. But you really aren't, are you? Here, have some kirin for your troubles:

Last edited by Heretical Rants on Thu May 22, 2014 9:44 pm; edited 3 times in total
mouse

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OklahomanSun wrote:
You also posted it well after the thread had gone through what apparently are Sinfest's versions of "locking" threads, and after I'd already posted my mea culpa and said that I was both willing and interested in being done.

FALSE. the post in which you claimed pedo was softer than asshole was this one
my response TO THAT POST, QUOTING THAT POST was here - six posts later (and 2 of those 6 posts were yours)

also, you are not the moderator. you don't get to decide when the thread is done (although, please, please, the next time you do - say "this ends now". really, the response will be worth it!)

OklahomanSun wrote:

You are beating the shit out of a horse. I'm no veterinarian, but all empirical evidence seems to indicate that the horse is suffering from a rather immediate and permanent lack of higher brain function.

you clearly didn't read my whole post, in which i said:
mouse wrote:
And before you start : I know that you didn't intent it to be taken out of context. I know that you have apologized to Miss M, and she has accepted. (By the way, I don't think I was the one who called you on that, I think the thread had already exploded into unicorns by the time I started reading)

i was explicit that my reaction was NOT to you calling Miss M a pedo, but to your insistence that pedo is softer than asshole.

OklahomanSun wrote:
You've also indicated an ungodly amount of times that you're completely without any fucks given regarding myself, my arguments, or anything I have to say in rebuttal, so I just figured we're done.

no, that was darq, and i think Midnight Tea. i have never said i don't give a fuck - if i really didn't, i wouldn't bother. frankly, you interest me as someone who can appear to be intelligent, who is capable of developing ideas - and yet is completely unable to handle any criticism. and fairly mild criticism at that - i mean, you've already apologized for calling Miss M a pedo, why do you find it impossible to admit that pedo is actually nastier than asshole? whether you meant it as a joke or not? we are talking about the absolute value of the words.

OklahomanSun wrote:
Since we're not done, I can only assume it's because you're essentially incapable of letting anything go.

So again.

I think this is probably most appropriate.

I'll use it twice because Starbuck.

uhhhh.....i'm not the one who admits spending hours composing gigantic posts. and then reposting them, just in case people didn't get it the first time.

OklahomanSun wrote:
Since you won't let this go without at least a token reply, here it is.

When I made my comment, I said "a little bit pedo" and then followed it with a pedo bear post. If that doesn't communicate an attempt at dark humour to you, you're quite simply fucking retarded.

again - NOT WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT. what i was talking about was the line that i quoted (here it is again):
OklahomanSun wrote:
It's also a bit softer than people calling you flat out an asshole.

but given the number of people who reacted (badly) to it...seems we are all simply fucking retarded. i wonder why you bother to stick around?

OklahomanSun wrote:
When people called me an asshole and a racist, there was no humour involved. They were simply being directly insulting with absolutely no joking.

right. that is because we considered you to be, in all seriousness, an asshole and a racist. you have yet to do a very good job of proving us wrong.

OklahomanSun wrote:
I find it hard to believe that you really didn't notice there was a joke and that you seriously believed that in that thread I was calling Miss M an actual pedophile.

everyone who thought OKSun was just joking, raising your hand!
and everyone who didn't?

look, all of us have made a joke that went over like a lead balloon. those of us who are adults say "sorry, that came out worse than i meant; it was really a nasty thing to say, and i apologize". those of us who are immature assholes go on and on about how "what i said wasn't nearly as mean as what you said" and "hey it was a joke - just a joke!" and about how those of us who then point out that no, you are wrong, what you said was meaner...well, let me let you finish for me:

OklahomanSun wrote:
I think this is manufactured outrage. You're like Sean Hannity's little mini me.

i find this rejoinder so completely devastating that i have lost all will to live, or even find a suitably snarky gif.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooo - kirin!

except i think now i need this kind:

OklahomanSun

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
words

Holy shit. You're never going to end, are you.
Let me try to communicate this to you in a way that you won't understand, but that at least I can point to later.

A pedophile is a criminal that rapes children. This is obviously worse than an asshole.

An obvious joke calling something a bit pedo and clearly marking the humour with the pedo bear is not worse than calling someone an asshole, repeatedly, and meaning it. In your specific case, we can interchange asshole with racist, since you were on that rant.

I also clearly posted my mea culpa before your comment about the pedo issue, both my general apology to the thread and my specific apology to Miss M.

OklahomanSun wrote:
I'll say this much. While I disagree wholeheartedly with any characterisation of my comments as wholly irrational and without basis, and as I've had the benefit of a few people outside of the arc of enmity make that concession, I will admit that I kicked off this thread with some really snarky comments that weren't necessary.

I'm not in the policy of caring if people like me, but I'm also not really in the policy of punching someone just to start the conversation, and it was a mistake here.

So. I'm sorry about how I set the tone. I will almost certainly continue to debate points where I disagree, but I'll attempt to avoid the snark in the future.

Apparently, since this isn't coming through yet, I'll post it again..

Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, mouse

you said you were displeased with the overtly equine depiction of the unicorn?

Graceful wisps:

that lay eggs, apparently

and have elongated anatomy that's about as similar to each of these real species: deer, horse, gazelle, swan, and saluki

________

some sort of swan thing:

______

aaand a baby kirin:

Moor

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize for my bad metaphor. I'll think of a better way of phrasing it for next time I get the deluded notion (in general, by the way -- this isn't a comment on the situation) that attempting to explain the social context will calm the situation.

Also, Woah, Kirin. I had never heard of Kirin before. Kirin are cute.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that baby kirin is _adorable_.

i don't know about the swan thing, though. swans are scary enough as it is. giving them a horn seems...ill-advised.
Leohan

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OklahomanSun wrote:
Holy shit. You're never going to end, are you.

You have the exact same of control on the duration of the argument. Your refusal to let someone else post the last comment is the only force that pulls this thread forward.

Moor wrote:
Also, Woah, Kirin. I had never heard of Kirin before. Kirin are cute.

They are indeed! I really love them. Discovered their existence in Monster Hunter. Made me feel so bad having to attack them...

Even though they are hard as tits.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This character/species is apparently some sort of shapeshifter

Dogen

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... am I too late? I got caught up with an oncology exam and my shoddy priorities (devotion to medicine? bah!). I feel bad having left so many unanswered arguments. It's not in my nature...
Samsally

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably best to just let it go at this point.

Unless you're bored. Then have at it.
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's either argue on the internet or study for my neurology exam. I was mostly asking for the benefit of everyone who isn't me. Smile
Zhuinden

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'm a bit late and I'm guilty of not reading through apparently 12 pages of ad hominems and counter-offensive rants, but I was wondering - have we went into discussion about how nice it is to see that even though Squig puts up an act of being "macho", he actually displays his emotions legitimately? I like how that's portrayed, albeit I think Slick is going down all the way to douchebag-ville. He's not even remotely nudged by the events, I think he's borderline sociopathic at this point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 16 of 17

Jump to: