welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2014-05-25: Playback 2
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ennis

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 3:11 am    Post subject: 2014-05-25: Playback 2 Reply with quote

So that answers the question of the unloaded shotgun in a satisfying manner.
Hydro

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really glad the shotgun unload was shown as a choice and not as a flub. Panel two feels....epic. It's an excellent sunday strip, imo, but I'm such a sucker for a "from the back" action shot.
khan

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it does answer the question, and also shows the unloading was premeditated, and occured after noticing Slick.

So obviously, whyd she do it? To scare Slick, but to whst end...
Wabi

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 3:27 am    Post subject: Wow... Reply with quote

It's great that the shotgun question was answered. It seems like such a big violation of her personhood, to just scan all her memories without her permission. It's kind of disturbing, actually. I wonder what Milton's reaction will be now that he's seen everything?
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

creepy as hell, man.

at least they left her sweater on, though... that's... giving me some comfort... i mean, it doesn't make anything better, or anything... i was just kind of personally afraid that they were going to take it off, is all...

Last edited by Miss Magenta on Sun May 25, 2014 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Onimaru

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually more accepting of the idea that she just didn't know to load a gun, now she took it out intentionally.... What the Hell? I mean I like the fact that she didn't REALLY want to kill Slick, but now the whole confrontation just doesn't seem to make sense from what we know about her and her motivations. I'm sure we will eventually get an explanation why, but as of this moment I'm just left scratching my head.
Rune

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Onimaru wrote:
I was actually more accepting of the idea that she just didn't know to load a gun, now she took it out intentionally.... What the Hell? I mean I like the fact that she didn't REALLY want to kill Slick, but now the whole confrontation just doesn't seem to make sense from what we know about her and her motivations. I'm sure we will eventually get an explanation why, but as of this moment I'm just left scratching my head.

Maybe she just really wanted some answers from him, for him to answer for his part in everything.
Midnight Tea

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm... really struck by this. There's a lot of profound possibilities in this one comic.

The obvious and first is: Why did she threaten Slick with an unloaded gun? To what end? It does mean she can't be accused of attempted murder, but what would have happened if she wasn't interrupted by the drones?

The more curious question is what this means for Milton. The guy is "evil" in the oblivious and complacent sense. But he's earnest and has a lot of love for his creations, in the sense one can love or admire non-living objects. I don't think he's going to shrug off what he just saw. He went out of his way to study it and engineering is all about learning. At the very least I see this as really confusing him and needing to drink or talk about it with someone. Either way, what little excuse he still had left for being a passive participant is about to dry up.

(I'm definitely sure Milton would never believe one of his own creations would want to kill him personally, that alone for me detracts from the possibility he'll coldly dismiss this study.)
OklahomanSun

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Midnight Tea wrote:
I'm... really struck by this. There's a lot of profound possibilities in this one comic.

The obvious and first is: Why did she threaten Slick with an unloaded gun? To what end? It does mean she can't be accused of attempted murder, but what would have happened if she wasn't interrupted by the drones?

The more curious question is what this means for Milton. The guy is "evil" in the oblivious and complacent sense. But he's earnest and has a lot of love for his creations, in the sense one can love or admire non-living objects. I don't think he's going to shrug off what he just saw. He went out of his way to study it and engineering is all about learning. At the very least I see this as really confusing him and needing to drink or talk about it with someone. Either way, what little excuse he still had left for being a passive participant is about to dry up.

(I'm definitely sure Milton would never believe one of his own creations would want to kill him personally, that alone for me detracts from the possibility he'll coldly dismiss this study.)

She probably wanted answers and a bit of retribution. Those are traditionally pretty easy things to get at end of a gun. She may have just wanted to point the gun at Slick and be angry but without worrying about letting it go too far.

On a practical level, I'm bummed that I ended up being right. At the pace it's being developed now, I'd say we're at least 2 Sunday strips from having this arc resolved, at least.
MerchManDan

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rune wrote:
Onimaru wrote:
Maybe she just really wanted some answers from him, for him to answer for his part in everything.

I like the sound of that; myself, I'd thought that she may have wanted him to grow & change by making him face his mortality, since that's how SHE had grown & changed as well. Though it does raise the question of what Slick could have said to make her "change her mind" and not kill him.
Moor

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question I have even more than the unloaded gun -- why isn't AssassinBot exploding in there? Like, how was that not a really significant life event?

Also, I'd just like to observe that the memories start when she becomes "real", if someone wants to comment on that.
Yinello

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So she wanted answers, not dead bodies. Interesting.

I hope Lil E and Tange are there soon.
Echo

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots more questions than answers in this one. The unloading the gun is interesting... not least because when the drones show up and start shooting at her, she points the gun at them... but still doesn't load it.

And yeah, the memories start from the Reality Zone... though I'm wondering how much that reflects her actual memories, and how much that reflects what Milton wants to see. We know he had some sort of live connection to Weaponised Fembot; there's a possibility that other Fembots, ones who aren't free, also have some sort of wireless memory-upload or real-time-data-streaming-back-to-Deviltech functionality. I mean, that's the sort of creepy user-profiling stuff that Google put in *everything* these days so I wouldn't put it past Deviltech to be using it.

As for watching Weaponised Fembot explode... I suspect that's being saved for later. Conveniently missed out here, where it's Milton accessing Pxsomethingsomething's memories, so that it has more impact later on when she chooses to show that memory to him.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know who else unloaded a gun once? HITLER.

ahahahahahahahahaha
Onimaru

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MerchManDan wrote:
Rune wrote:
Onimaru wrote:

I like the sound of that; myself, I'd thought that she may have wanted him to grow & change by making him face his mortality, since that's how SHE had grown & changed as well. Though it does raise the question of what Slick could have said to make her "change her mind" and not kill him.

This is the most logical conclusion of course, maybe, just maybe she wanted to talk to the man responsible for her freedom in a way that she was sure to be in control, to see if she should be thankful, to see if he was different from what she'd seen and experienced. And thanks to Slick's INFINITE retardation, wanting to 'fix' her freedom, 'repair' her malfunctioning freewill and only seeing her 'worth' as an object and possession, he proved that he wasn't worthy of thanks or consideration.

And I think THAT pisses me off about this situation more than anything else, at the time he wanted her to be real he wanted being with her to be real, it may have been selfish reasoning that brought her to the R Zone, but I think he was genuinely sad when he lost her. I would have thought he'd be happy to see she was alright and still OK, instead it comes out, "You're broken cause you no longer acting like a doll, the exact thing I was trying to remove by taking you to the Reality Zone. Let me turn you back into a mindslave." I mean come on, how far can one person backslide a thousand times and still be believed as a person with a functioning freaking brain?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: