welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

hi i am a horrible nerd ask me anything about star wars
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 17, 18, 19  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
What is the galaxy called that Star Wars takes place in?

just 'the galaxy' - it had a couple of references here and there to what some pissant little race here and there would call it, but it's just known as the galaxy

the Vong, may they rot forever in alt-canon, also just came from another 'the galaxy' not otherwise specifically specified. maybe they went to war to figure out which the galaxy was THE the galaxy.
Sam

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arc Tempest wrote:
Dammit Sam, I don't have time to play through KOTOR 2 for the eleven billionth time.

if you're playing it for the first time with the expanded content mod, you are playing it for the first time and you just didn't know it yet.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad I always thought there was ridiculous amounts of detail regarding everything in SW. I am disappoint.

How prevalent is slavery throughout the galaxy?

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's fucking everywhere. the prevalence of slavery in the well-developed regions varies extremely based on the strength of the republic/new republic across generations.

in general, when the Republic (or equivalent jedi-sanctioned central seat of power) and the Jedi are doing well and are strong, slavery is chased out of most developed regions and central trade regions and away from most of the breadbasket worlds and trade routes. when the Republic/New Republic is getting fucked or the jedi are all but wiped out (jedi civil war, post-mandalorian war period and Nihilus, order 66 purge, Krayt's purge, etc) and/or the Sith take over, slavery flat fucking flourishes all over the damn place.

even in the 'good' years that you usually don't see depicted because a time of peace is kind of antithetical to the theme of star wars, slavery always remains manifest. It was the way of things in the sith empire in exile on dromund kaas, it has always been ubiquitus in huttspace, and every galaxywide cartel does much work in the slave trade. the exchange and the black sun ensured that no matter the strength of a republic or jedi decree against the trade, slavery existed in the dark recesses of even the capital worlds and was something to constantly fight.

during the time of the Rakatan Infinite Empire, slavery was pretty much ubiquitous, because the Rakata were slavers through and through. a common theory about the ubiquity of both humans and the common language is that humans were the Rakatan's favoured (or engineered whole-cloth) servants and were thus present in great numbers on every Rakatan world. Common may have been just at one point Rakatan, or was a language derived by or for the humans.

When the Rakatans were hit by a strange (biological? the result of genetic overmanipulation? a force curse? but nobody's really sure) plague that stripped them of their capacity to manipulate the force, they immediately began to lose control of their technology, which required manipulation through the force to operate or be powered. Nearly no Rakatan survived the ensuing slave revolts, as the fledgeling races of the galaxy cast off their yokes.

But these were all people who knew slavery as a way of life, and the practice seemed rooted in collective species' memory to the extent that many species seem to have slavery as a collective biological sense of morality.

Like all the dark ugly trappings of the messy star wars universe, it seems like it will always be around.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is actually one of the most fascinating things I've read about SW. Wow.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are some jedi able to survive a fall from incredible heights and others are just assumed to be toast?
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't heard the Rakatan theory for why humans are so widespread, makes a hell of a lot of sense though.
Sam

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the answer-behind-the-answer is 'shitty, inconsistent storytelling' primarily in the era of godawful 80's and 90's star wars books or comics, or more notoriously lucas' garbage action plotlines in the prequels

BUT the answer that can actually be coherently plucked out of canon is that jedi, like any well-trained force user (but jedi moreso than sith IMO) are practiced enough in the force to easily circumvent what would otherwise be a terminal fall.

it's a combination of the fractal future precognition and being able to generate tangible force. A moderately talented Jedi could, even in the panic of a freefall, have the presence of mind to find those few potential outcomes in which they aren't a greasy corpse at the bottom of a significant fall, and steer themselves appropriately or use their belt grapples or something.

A Knight level force user could probably honestly deal with it with remarkably little difficulty, simply opting where they wish to land and then pushing themselves up with force kinetics so as to countermand the typical messiness of terminal velocity.

A Master level force user beings with whom not to fuck, even if the prequels did an absolute shit job of establishing the idea whatsoever or other individuals otherwise explicitly talented in telekinetics and similar effects, could honestly just fly.

The prequels, mess that they were, were at least partially consistent with this (see how Obi-Wan handles falls in the movies in general, for instance). Windu was most likely already fucking dead as shit by the time his body flew off out the broken window. If by some chance he wasn't, and wasn't sapped too terribly much and/or unconscious on account of palpatine's conspicuous outpouring of lightning into his face, it's entirey possible (given what we know of Mace's ~POWER LEVEL >9000~ or whatever) that he could have very easily managed a ... non-terminal landing. Of some or any sort.

As far as any official knowledge is concerned, however, Mace Windu is in that Probably Dead category. If he survived, that's a private agreement between Jackson and Lucas. Him being dead also makes the most sense because (again despite how fucking shittily the prequels represented this fact) Palpatine was insidiously, immensely powerful and capable beyond most if not all Jedi's reckoning at the time (which is fun to explain). He may have underestimated Windu's sheer combat prowess for several odd reasons (all that "shatterpoint" bullshit, Windu's exceptional mastery of a really-not-generally-advisable form of Juyo called Vaapad, both of which I can also explain), but Anakin shored that little issue right up by panicking and cutting Windu's arm off.

Outside of the prequel movies, the animated series' don't hesitate to show force users levitating themselves (dooku is, appropriately, fond of it) and it is already established canon that Darth Maul survived his little trip down a hole as well.

And, of course, Luke's fall into the abyss in the center of Bespin. He may not have even realized it at the time and had probably honestly just resigned himself to death rather than becoming a pawn of Vader, but again, force users are always unconsciously seeing in multiple futures, and luke seemed to have inherited a rather conspicuous quantity of it compliments of his lineage. On some level he could have intuitively known something about a brighter end to things, after he lets go. Even if he was not consciously aware of it, or by what mechanism it would take place.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so in the vast sweep of the EU, half-ish of the galaxy is cut off from the other half, and it's known as the Unknown Regions. there's not a whole lot in there. there's the Chiss, mainly, and some gray zombie sludge, and a few other odds and ends, but nothing comparable to the rest of the galaxy.

but as far as i know, Star Wars authors and such have started exploring shit in there for ten years. that's a whole half of the galaxy they've left sparsely populated. so why is it still so empty in the Unknown Regions?
Sam

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK, the Unknown Regions is just a general term for the sections of space which are not really very well explored and not at all charted (so very difficult and dangerous to travel through, in general ... though that difficulty varied according to the needs of various author's plots). Usually but not always unknown regions were large areas on the fringes of space where habited outposts or planets are few and far inbetween. It is not typically used to denote a single specific region of space.

As for why the Unknown Regions is still so empty is because it is a vast frontier with no established trade and hyperspace lanes, so it's a slow go to ply your way around there using much less efficient or reliable means of hyperspace travel.

In general to create navigable hyperspace lanes requires, essentially, years of hyperspace survey work to establish mass shadow free lanes or whatever, then provide them to recognized hyperspace lane databases (or keep for private interests). It's the difference between how I could travel from New York to Los Angeles now, versus how I would have been able to do it in the 1800's.

Throughout official canon there are several bullshit explanations that are often consistently at odds with other bullshit explanations about both WHY the unknown regions are unknown and what percentage of the galaxy is Unknown Regions (you say half, but sometimes that percentage is as low as 10%). Also a bunch of madness about the Chiss and the Mandalorians and a possible first sighting of the Vong by Canderous out at the very edge of the galaxy itself.

There's definitely a fuckton of stuff out there. Whole races and civilizations, definitely. Secrets, to be sure. Some unknown regions remain conspicuously defiant to easy navigability and chart-ability and this is sometimes presumed to be the result of some skullduggery or some sort of hyperspace maginot line desperation shit by cultures and creatures once attempting to save themselves from the eventual conquest of the galaxy by the Ratakans, however many kabillions of years ago that was. The end result being some portions of space still yet unknown which may have been made artificially difficult to access.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What... is the airspeed velocity of an unladen Y-wing?
Sam

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

regular or longprobe?
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
regular or longprobe?

I... I don't know that! WAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH

Nah regular.
Thanks for playing along too
khan

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the important thing to remember about the unknown region is that it exists primarily as a plot device. Cuz the know galaxy just aint big enough... in the last map I saw, it looked closish to MAYBE 20%. But yeah, it was as big as plot needed it to be. And populated primarily with plotholes.

Couple loose end querries:
Wtf ever happened to the Corporate Sector? They buy a vsd fleet, and poof! Never heard of em since.

Did anyone ever deal with the Ssiruvi (spelling?)?

Did anyone ever explain why tech levels are simultaneously clearly stagnant for thousands of years (remember those blaster rifles in kotor? I miss blast rifles), yet we often have 'superadvanced' things like Blue Max? Also, in cannon from the z-95 or a cloakshape, we see massive improvements in not that many years. A type 2 xwing vs a cloakshape? Im less bothered by the tie/ln, since cannon explains that its sctually pretty competitive with any other current era subspace only snubfighter. It seems not unlike our development from bi-planes to jets, yet in sw it takes 10000 years to go from xzar kun era fighters to a z-95??

How does Xim and other early cannon fit in with the rakka, and why the fuck were they ever added?

Also, WHAT OF ZUCKKUS' LUNGS?! Heh, i loved that silly gand.
OklahomanSun

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
the answer-behind-the-answer is 'shitty, inconsistent storytelling' primarily in the era of godawful 80's and 90's star wars books or comics, or more notoriously lucas' garbage action plotlines in the prequels

Holy fucking god, can we simply assume at this point based on the fact that most of your Star Wars themed posts make reference to your hatred of the EU that you hate the EU and move on?

Or maybe you could make it your sig.

Because really, I think the point has been hammered home.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 2 of 19

Jump to: