welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

hi i am a horrible nerd ask me anything about star wars
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orci and Lindelof do not travel with JJ Abrams to the new Star Trek.

GOLD POINTS TO WHO KNOWS WHAT THIS MEANS
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
GOLD POINTS TO WHO KNOWS WHAT THIS MEANS

Sam has occupied an awful lot of his brain with star wars stuff?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRD
Sam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:

well YEAH but what else

(also this is more in the realm of cinema writers guild shit, which I have an unhealthy part-time obsession with)
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
Monkey Mcdermott wrote:

well YEAH but what else

(also this is more in the realm of cinema writers guild shit, which I have an unhealthy part-time obsession with)

Trek trivia of course.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nah, it's this.

JJ Abrams had a lot of leeway over how the first Star Trek reboot movie was made, but was much more straightjacketed into a narrow written ideal by Damon Lindelof and his often-times partner Roberto Orci for when it came time to direct the sequel, Into Darkness.

As most people who have seen Prometheus or Into Darkness have borne witness to, Lindelof and Orci are fucking terrible writers. Some people call them the anti-midases.

JJ is jumping ship to Star Wars. He is abandoning Star Trek to Lindelof and co.

which means we are now in an era where star trek is being sacrificed to reboot star wars.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://thylaa.tumblr.com/post/69207958886/more
jwadd

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sam what game is your current avatar from?
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh hey let me just activate my HIDDEN TRAP CARD WOAHMYGOD and revive this thread and say

1) how's that Star Wars Rebels thing going

2) what's up with race in Star Wars, like i know there's all kinds of background bits about the Galactic Empire that tries to turn them into Nazi Germany, and there's the whole substitution of prejudice against non-humans for prejudice against certain-colored humans. but then you still have what we'd consider distinct races of humans running around, so it seems like Star Wars tries to comment on racism by using aliens while at the same time having human beings of different races running around and they're just kinda "i dunno lol lando's cool though right?"

i mean, there's Lucas and his long litany of unfortunate racial stereotypes, like the Obvious Evil Asian Businessmen of the Neimodians and the Stepin Fetchit thing Jar Jar had going on and Watto the Flying Space Jew. but what has the rest of the universe done with the whole concept?
Sam

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwadd wrote:
sam what game is your current avatar from?

That was my wizard back at the beginning of diablo three's lord of death kill murder expansion or whatever

Quote:
how's that Star Wars Rebels thing going

ain't out yet. october 14th or something like that. i am not sure i am the intended audience but i have no doubt that as many adults will be watching it as watch My Little Pony: Monomania Fandom Is A Thing

Quote:
what's up with race in Star Wars, like i know there's all kinds of background bits about the Galactic Empire that tries to turn them into Nazi Germany, and there's the whole substitution of prejudice against non-humans for prejudice against certain-colored humans. but then you still have what we'd consider distinct races of humans running around, so it seems like Star Wars tries to comment on racism by using aliens while at the same time having human beings of different races running around and they're just kinda "i dunno lol lando's cool though right?"

i mean, there's Lucas and his long litany of unfortunate racial stereotypes, like the Obvious Evil Asian Businessmen of the Neimodians and the Stepin Fetchit thing Jar Jar had going on and Watto the Flying Space Jew. but what has the rest of the universe done with the whole concept?

Racism in star wars is complicated by the fact that certain races are just objectively shit, and some races are better than others. You have these joke races which will obviously not amount to much because they are really just not intelligent, or they are brutish and genetically uncivilized, and fill quasi-social niches halfway between being an underclass and being an urban pest species. Star Wars, being far from a utopian fiction or anything close to it, is ill equipped to handle the issue of "lower" races in an equitable or kind way, and most of these races just have to eke out a living that can border on half-animalistic, wherever they can. SEE ALSO: Vorcha in ME. This is a fiction conundrum we don't have a real life counterpart for, as we have no chain running down the sapience scale down to animals. There's just humans, and nothing that creates moral and ethical dilemmas by not quite being human but certainly having elements of higher intelligence, nothing in the continuum between us and, say, chimpanzees.

Otherwise: the most general theme is that human-normative attitudes are prevalent in a ton of the economically or sociopolitically (usually the same thing) regions of the galaxy, like Coruscant, and aliens usually find themselves lumped into a generic dis-privileged "others" category whereas humans and near-humans like Lorrdians, Bornecks, etc have a contrasting socially privileged status. Tales of alien discrimination are par for the course; the weirder looking the alien, the worse off they have it (generally).

Some races sow their own seeds of antagonistic contempt from the galaxy at large. Others are nationalistic and isolationist. Others are just pure dag-nasty evil, except for the inevitable outlier Drizzts that get written in. Some other races are built around complete racial tragedy, like the Ubese a race of near-humans (?) whose nationalistic ambitions resulted in their homeworld getting destroyed by the galactic republic in a war crime that spoke of that era's moral weaknesses in both the jedi and the republic (and resulted in the Ubese being a fringe faction of misanthrope bounty hunters, all but sworn to vengeance against the system)

The Arkanians represent a futuristic drive towards racial purity they meddle with their own genetic code, engage in rampant cyber-augmentation, and have even split their own race in two along lines of modification. Unsurprisingly, they are even more prevalent in their racist attitudes than other humans, to other humans. To make it a tricky moral conundrum, though, their genetic tinkering and quasi-eugenics actually worked and the Arkanians are robust, hyper-intelligent, and responsible for a large share of the highest level of technological advances.

In many parts of the civilized core, disaffected aliens often partake of alien-only bars with weird atmospheres that humans can't tolerate. It's the only way many of the marginalized classes can have their own 'space,' so to speak. Whether this was a good or bad idea in the long run is up for debate, as it seemed to just create hotbeds of fostered radicalism.

And, of course, in the prequel, jorj loocis boiled this down to 'lets have a sinister scheming ching chong race' and 'this guy will jump up and down a lot and be a silly minstrel show' and 'this alien will have stretched neck rings like that african tribe i know literally nothing about' etc etc
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star Wars Rebels: The Movie.
It kind of had notes of fanfiction rising up at times. Also the facial animation was not always where it needed to be. And the scrappy main protagonist is basically Space Aladdin. He was even called a "street rat" at once point. No joke. And unfortunately, the Prequels are still canon.

But the ships look good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19
Page 19 of 19

Jump to: