welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2014-05-26: I Have Suffered For You
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 3:00 am    Post subject: 2014-05-26: I Have Suffered For You Reply with quote

Quite so.
Night Spade

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how some yuri/yaoi doujin start. Twisted Evil
redshirt26

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading the first panel, I thought it was Fuchsia saying hi to Baby Blue. Once I realized it was Absinthe, this thread got downgraded from "Greatest Thing to Happen in the History of Ever" to "Pretty Good".
Midnight Tea

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMGE8pks9UE

... Oh my~
Danoneeno

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the idea of devil taking to his mention the most innocent girls. Remember how Blue and Fushia were when he chose them?
MerchManDan

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

....maybe Abby should've waited until after Blue drank that coffee.
Echo

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bit that interests me is the wording of what Blue's saying. The "One way or another, you will pay" is classic Blue being Blue, but the earlier "You will pay me back" is interesting. If she only meant to torture Abby, she would have just said "You will pay", but Blue actually wants something here - something for herself, presumably involving time off while Abby covers for her. Which is interesting and has many possibilities.

Also: Yay, I was wrong, this isn't just a Percy-complains-about-his-food strip!
Yinello

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prolly do a few audits.
Echo

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But that's part of her job. She doesn't need Abby to cover for her to go and do that. I suspect some actual growth here, after that encounter with Fuchsia.

On a side note, I do hope that Abby covering for Blue involves *Abby* going to do a few Soul Audits. That would be *adorable*.
OklahomanSun

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit confused as to why people like Blue. She's a bit of a bully, she's complicit in the corruption of Fuchs who didn't really want the same things that Blue did, she goes around making people terrified.... these aren't the actions of a nice person. Look at some older strips, some of them are even linked in the "Old Strips" thread. She does some pretty exceptionally mean things and has Fuchs do them with her as well.

On the other thread, people are castigating Milton pretty hard for his role in Devilcorp but Blue seems to be getting a pass on her own really unpleasant actions.
Yinello

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no compassion* for Milton because he creeps on his co-workers despite them being blatantly not interested and he deliberately ignores that because like many creepers he believes that if he continues to harass he will win. He is the symbol of the guy who won't get it and is the staple of the problematic modern world.

*Okay, this is not completely true. I do have compassion for him in the sense that I do expect him to grow. Unless he fucks it up with Px. Then it's over forever.

I have compassion for Blue because she's in a work situation that requires her to be cruel. She has to act like she does or receive no respect (eg: Absinthe - there's a reason why she's behind the booth doing the selling because she's cute and not intimidating). Considering she has to audit people, stab the hell-dwellers in their arms and be at the beck and call of the Devil, I don't see how she can afford the luxury of being nice all the time.

Plus the fact that she's been in this industry for a long time and her best friend had left her without any word for a long while? Yeah, that'd make anyone bitter.

I am seeing positivity in her in the sense that right now in this comic she's just making things seem worse than they are (the lines she's saying are pretty movie-esque plus that pose at the end - could be she's joshing her).

In fact, if nothing changes I wouldn't be surprised if Abby acted just like Blue in a while.
Yinello

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Echo wrote:
But that's part of her job. She doesn't need Abby to cover for her to go and do that. I suspect some actual growth here, after that encounter with Fuchsia.

On a side note, I do hope that Abby covering for Blue involves *Abby* going to do a few Soul Audits. That would be *adorable*.

Ooh now that you mention it, maybe it's something she could stand in for so Blue can meet Fuchsia at Nana's cafe to catch up. Very Happy
OklahomanSun

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
I have no compassion* for Milton because he creeps on his co-workers despite them being blatantly not interested and he deliberately ignores that because like many creepers he believes that if he continues to harass he will win. He is the symbol of the guy who won't get it and is the staple of the problematic modern world.

*Okay, this is not completely true. I do have compassion for him in the sense that I do expect him to grow. Unless he fucks it up with Px. Then it's over forever.

I have compassion for Blue because she's in a work situation that requires her to be cruel. She has to act like she does or receive no respect (eg: Absinthe - there's a reason why she's behind the booth doing the selling because she's cute and not intimidating). Considering she has to audit people, stab the hell-dwellers in their arms and be at the beck and call of the Devil, I don't see how she can afford the luxury of being nice all the time.

Plus the fact that she's been in this industry for a long time and her best friend had left her without any word for a long while? Yeah, that'd make anyone bitter.

I am seeing positivity in her in the sense that right now in this comic she's just making things seem worse than they are (the lines she's saying are pretty movie-esque plus that pose at the end - could be she's joshing her).

In fact, if nothing changes I wouldn't be surprised if Abby acted just like Blue in a while.

In that case, you're extrapolating feelings into her that she's rarely, if ever exhibited. Feelings that she's unhappy doing the things that she does to people. The only thing we see of Blue that is even remotely close is her missing Fuchs, but missing someone doesn't translate into regretting your actions at work. She has only ever intimated that she misses her friend being around with her while they work at torturing and co-opting souls.

Her friend left because she was miserable. Blue never noticed or if she did notice, didn't give a damn. That's documented in several strips, including times when Fuchs was talking to Crim, among others. Blue yanks her away with zero fucks given to her friend's interest. Hell, in the recent strip where Fuchs came to talk to Blue, Blue actually acted pissy about her leaving. Didn't care that Fuchs was happy. Didn't care or comprehend that Blue had pulled her into a miserable life. Didn't apologise for making a unilateral decision for them that led Fuchs to all that unhappiness. These are not the actions of a great friend.

You're excusing Blue's comments in this strip as maybe a joke. Based on what, Blue's kind nature? No, until we see some action of the type you're hoping for from Blue, I can't see it.

I'll also throw this out there as a bit of red meat so people can amuse themselves with it. Since I've said that you might be extrapolating things that aren't necessarily there, and since you mentioned that you don't like Milton because he's a creeper, let me throw you this one.

What if Blue's threat of "one way or another, you'll pay" is going to eventually reveal itself as sexual bullying, of forcing Abby into bed with her? I'll admit it's a very low (Like 0.00001%) chance, but hey, you can't deny there might have been an undertone there.

There's your red meat.
khan

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Night Spade wrote:
This is how some yuri/yaoi doujin start. Twisted Evil

Some?
Midnight Tea

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OklahomanSun wrote:
In that case, you're extrapolating feelings into her that she's rarely, if ever exhibited. Feelings that she's unhappy doing the things that she does to people. The only thing we see of Blue that is even remotely close is her missing Fuchs, but missing someone doesn't translate into regretting your actions at work. She has only ever intimated that she misses her friend being around with her while they work at torturing and co-opting souls.

Her friend left because she was miserable. Blue never noticed or if she did notice, didn't give a damn. That's documented in several strips, including times when Fuchs was talking to Crim, among others. Blue yanks her away with zero fucks given to her friend's interest. Hell, in the recent strip where Fuchs came to talk to Blue, Blue actually acted pissy about her leaving. Didn't care that Fuchs was happy. Didn't care or comprehend that Blue had pulled her into a miserable life. Didn't apologise for making a unilateral decision for them that led Fuchs to all that unhappiness. These are not the actions of a great friend.

Have you even been reading the same comic as I was? If I recall Blue was pretty torn up about this, told the D-man that she was leaving too in order to find her (didn't even give him time to respond). She then gave up the search when she discovered how happy Fuchsia was. She was bitchy about it, sure, and I think a case can be made that she's seriously lacking in empathy. However as Yinello says, her job essentially strips her of whatever qualities she might have had in that regard. The kindest thing we see her do is cover Fuchsia and Absinthe's tracks when they've gone against the system. It's not much, but actions speak louder than words. I wouldn't say she's a good friend though, please don't think I'm making a case for that. A good friend probably would have put the pieces together much sooner. But it's not black and white either way.

OklahomanSun wrote:
What if Blue's threat of "one way or another, you'll pay" is going to eventually reveal itself as sexual bullying, of forcing Abby into bed with her? I'll admit it's a very low (Like 0.00001%) chance, but hey, you can't deny there might have been an undertone there.

There's your red meat.

I think the only basis you could insist that undertone was there would be how Blue/Fuchsia were portrayed as a couple for most of the comic. In fact, it's one of the most uncomfortable aspects of the comic's shift if you ask me. Fuchsia's Heel Face Turn being punctuated by embracing nice normal heterosexuality. But aside from that we've not seen much of the lesbian succubus angle in a long time and it's hard to think of Blue as having those desires given how burnt out she's been. See Mazlow's Hierarchy of Needs. She's not up to the third level on that pyramid.

(I know sex can be about power too, but I have a hard time seeing Blue getting the free time to work up the desire for a power fantasy beyond stabbing the damned.)

By the way, apropos of nothing -- did you mean your response to come off as a bit patronizing or condescending? I.e. it sounded a LOT like "I don't see where you're coming from so therefor it's wrong. By the way, I'm throwing meat you because I see you all as dogs."

Maybe you didn't mean it that way, but it's how it read to me. That kind of thing is what can piss people off even if it's not directly related to the content of your words.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: