welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2014-05-31: The Ultimate Aphrodisiac
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The correct answer to any competing musical aesthetics debate is "All music is universally terrible; among the worst of the inventions and past-times of the horrendous meat-walker creatures of Earth. Fortunately, it can only be projected relatively short distances."
Midnight Tea

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so musically illiterate that pretty much this whole conversation sounds like this.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Oh fuck me he refers to drum and bass as the most sublime music in the world. Fuck this guy sideways with a shard of broken glass.

oh, come on

I absolutely cannot stand most '60s rock, but am I going to accomplish anything by yelling at the fans? No.

this shit is entirely dependent on taste and context
a lot of DnB is pretty unlistenable to me in most situations, but some instrumental DnB works really well for me for when I need to get some work done, especially if it has a good drive to it

anything too artful is out unless I'm already intimately familiar with it because it'll distract me

also, I didn't like that cello song you linked to. I found it to be too grating. I remember enjoying something else that those guys had made, though. If you're going to rag so harshly on an entire genre at least post something more universal as a counterexample. You're never going to convince anyone that something they like is crap based on nothing more substantial than your own subjective and poorly-explained assertions, but if you're going to try you might as well put your best foot forward.

Humanity makes contact with an alien species whose closest analogue to music is their dissonant shrieking mating calls. They have an intricate sense of hearing, but no heartbeat and no sense of rhythm.

Explain to them why Thunderstruck by 2CELLOS is better than Beautiful Lies by B-Complex.

Sam wrote:
this guy here

this is pretty good

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Heretical Rants wrote:
I still haven't thought of a good supervillain name for myself Sad

I vote for "The Red Pen"

I like it.

You are at the very least somewhat right, the song itself in its original form is grating. The point of linking it however is that those are two musicians who have actually mastered an instrument well enough to put forth a talented performance in a genre the instrument isn't intended to perform in.

Here's one of them performing a violin piece on cello

Here's them making green day work on cello

And a 50's rock and roll love song

And actual classical

There's a pretty big difference between that and the modern equivalent of remixing the rumba button on a casio.

Also rants, who the fuck says I think im going to accomplish anything, dudesauce has done nothing but stubbornly argue and piss people off since he got here.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am at least intent on giving him the benefit of the doubt?

like ok admittedly i have very selective horses in this race. if he doesn't alter trajectory and turns into the next reliably bizarre, intractably arrogant-above-his-ability dunning-kruger wonder of the forums and gets shitlorded on 24/7 i still win A Free Month's Worth Of Entertaining Psychodrama

but this place already has enough of that, permit me my momentary folly of actually trying to give him good advice or hoping he doesn't become our next <insert name of the last person who was strangely a lot like him, because THIS KEEPS HAPPENING IT'S LIKE A CYCLE time must be an illusion>
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So was I.

People always latch on to the "well fuck this guy" post, there are like three posts where I'm legitimately trying to "hey guy, this isn't going to end the way you hope it will" him in the months prior.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
So was I.

People always latch on to the "well fuck this guy" post, there are like three posts where I'm legitimately trying to "hey guy, this isn't going to end the way you hope it will" him in the months prior.

I did like your threat that wasn't a threat, though. That's classic. It reminded me of being bullied back in 5th grade.

So that's a trigger.

Re my first thread posting ever then, aren't you like a really horrible person for exposing me to a trigger?
Istancow

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well-made electronic music is a labour of immense patience.

Sound is tricky to manipulate well. Creating new sounds in exactly the manner you hear them in your head is an exceedingly difficult and complex process.
You have to have a very clear vision of what you want sonically, because you aren't just making music- you're making all of your instruments.

I have a lot of respect for electronic musicians.

Presets and ready-made sample libraries sort of cheapen the experience though, don't they?
Istancow

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play several instruments as well as produce some electronic music (I don't necessarily do any of these things well, mind you), and I would like to think that offers me a little perspective.

This is all speaking strictly of the effort that goes into making this stuff, of course. When it comes to aesthetics, I don't care if flowers lean towards Chopin and away from Meshuggah, I really do believe it's all subject to taste.

Anyway, here's some electronic music that I find fun and impressive. But mostly fun.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You are at the very least somewhat right, the song itself in its original form is grating. The point of linking it however is that those are two musicians who have actually mastered an instrument well enough to put forth a talented performance in a genre the instrument isn't intended to perform in.

Okay, see, I don't care about mastery of intstruments or whatever; I just care what the result sounds like.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OklahomanSun wrote:
Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
So was I.

I did like your threat that wasn't a threat, though. That's classic. It reminded me of being bullied back in 5th grade.

So that's a trigger.

Re my first thread posting ever then, aren't you like a really horrible person for exposing me to a trigger?

Maybe, if I thought you weren't just a shitty person, or gave two squirts of piss about being internet nice to people who seem to have gravitated to the forum solely to bitch about the comic and pick fights with folk who've demonstrated the ability to get along when they dont have some shitweasel consistently poking at them.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what _has_ happened to dennis?

i really miss him...
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my dennis fanclub wasn't devout enough, obviously
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so are you saying we need to start sacrificing stuff to him? i could go with that.
Sam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Istancow wrote:

Anyway, here's some electronic music that I find fun and impressive. But mostly fun.

YOU ARE FAN OF FUNK

I CAN GIVE YOU GIFT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp26sCP8zkM

caveat as always: good headphones blahblah
OklahomanSun

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have the funk, although it is different funk than yours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZqxhNbUTtg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: