welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

June 4: But...science...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stripeypants

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they have to compete, though? The Devil corporation seems to have a monopoly on a lot of things.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So did Microsoft. Bad attitudes towards developing technology still wound up cracking their dam in the end. We're seeing history repeat itself with Apple to some degree in the mobile market.

Still, if they had nothing to worry about (i.e. their monopoly was absolute beyond all comparison to real world companies since the banking trusts of the early 20th century) they'd have nothing to gain by simply junking her and PR wouldn't even matter. Either way it'd still be a poor decision, regardless of whose idea it was.

Unless of course, they're afraid of her springing to life apropos of nothing and causing even more damage so they're junking her just to be safe. In which case D-corp has even bigger problems in regards to its technology development than one rogue fembot.
Ennis

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This reminds me of the whole "CPUs don't work like that" eruption from all the tech savvy people here re Assassin Bot's chip awhile back. Tat's primary focus is storytelling, and honestly if it weren't for the forum I wouldn't dwell on such things for longer than a second while reading (if I even noticed). I guess we have to fill up the 24 hours in between strips somehow though, and it can be educational.
Timpie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no real orders that Pix needs to be destroyed, I guess Blue's just taking the reigns and asserting her leadership here. To her it's just a piece of malfunctioning tech, not much more needs to be read into it.
Echo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um... if there aren't any orders to destroy all the fembots, then why is Milton saying that he was reassured that they were destroyed? Even if there is no explicit order, there's been a *report* that they were all destroyed, and Big D is unhappy that that turned out not to be true, and Milton is obviously expected to rectify that situation.

It's quite clearly an established policy, not just Blue ordering an execution on her own initiative.
Timpie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Milton is referring to the 'bad batch' that Clio reprogrammed in the devil factory. Milton incorrectly assumes that Pix is one of those bots. Big D wasn't even told about the malfunction in the first place.

Maybe it's the usual course of business, but saying that there is no need for an investigation could just as well be an execution order.
Cley Faye

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, good thing it's saturday, this way tomorrow comic will have some large plot progression.

...what?
Onimaru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait a minute..... Milton Assumes, and always has assumed that Pixie/Pxsomethingsomething was one of the bots from the reprogrammed batch and based all his decisions on hunting and bringing her back on that. Right?

If that's the case, he had no idea prior to viewing her memories, that she was given Free Will by her trip to the Reality Zone.... So how on earth did he immediately react as if he knew that Hunter Bot's exposure to the Reality Zone could make her go Rogue? I mean he freaked out the second she was in there, not after she stopped responding to commands/resisted commands.

Probably just a slip of the Memory by Tat to justify Milton going immediately to the Destruct option, which kind of sucks but made for good story telling I guess. Or there could be some connection mentioned that I'm not remembering and if so I'll be corrected promptly Razz
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
storytelling

a story for which I have to turn the higher functions of my brain off in order to enjoy is not a good story
Midnight Tea

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
a story for which I have to turn the higher functions of my brain off in order to enjoy is not a good story

True, though an author can't be a perfect authority on everything. It's why many authors say that a key part of writing is research.
tricksterson

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say Blue has read the Evil Overlord List. Having Pixel experimented on will just result in her becoming more powerful and escaping and/or giving time for some plucky adventurers (and you know who I'm talking about, don't you?) to come rescue her.
Ennis

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
Quote:
storytelling

So you're fine with fembots that can be operated by a remote control that is literally only a joystick but the minute Tat can't be bothered to research which particular chip would theoretically store a fembot's memories then it's "not a good story". Because suspension of disbelief isn't at all a thing that is an integral part of storytelling.
OklahomanSun

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on, let's be honest. Tat is not a great storyteller. He's a one liner, he's good with position piece strips, but he's got no long game.

It's not just the technical stuff. This arc for example, it's just a series of standard cliches. It's trope madness, pretty bog standard stuff, and it's dragging.

Part of the reason people like it and are excited about it is because it is a lot of plot progress from a guy we've all admitted is slow and sparse on plot. So we're happy for quantity here, not necessarily quality.
Hekateras

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen this tropey cliches with bot madness and raging against the creator told in a feminist context before, with parallels to problems of systemic sexism.

It's an original and daring idea (insofar as any person willing to brave the hordes of MRA trolls by posting anything even vaguely feminist is daring). That sets it apart, for me, from 99% of the other webcomics out there.

Anyway, interesting - and unsurprising - that Milton is questioning her orders and trying to weasel out of them. It doesn't really matter of D-man gave the orders or not. Left in charge means left in charge. Can anyone imagine him trying to question D-man's orders with this degree of persistency?
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ennis wrote:
words

I can forgive a lame Terminator reference or two, sure

OklahomanSun wrote:
Come on, let's be honest. Tat is not a great storyteller. He's a one liner, he's good with position piece strips, but he's got no long game.

It's not just the technical stuff. This arc for example, it's just a series of standard cliches. It's trope madness, pretty bog standard stuff, and it's dragging.

Part of the reason people like it and are excited about it is because it is a lot of plot progress from a guy we've all admitted is slow and sparse on plot. So we're happy for quantity here, not necessarily quality.

not much quantity here, really

about as much as any other Sinfest story arc, and it still jumps around and pauses like crazy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: