welcome to the fest
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2014/Jun/06 - Devil Tech 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Midnight Tea



Joined: 15 Jul 2012
Posts: 202
Location: In the Haunted Lands

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, sorry Khan, I don't think the position that Blue doesn't care about Fuchsia is completely unsupported and consequently untenable. I think a case certainly can be made that her relationship with Blue wasn't completely healthy, from its origins onward. However the fact the two were able to communicate honestly off-panel and resolve some of their differences does speak to a genuine bond they have.

It doesn't suddenly mean that Blue is a good person, though. It doesn't mean she's not a monster. At the very least, there's more than enough to make a case she is a bad person or extremely mercenary at bare minimum. But people are complicated and even evil people have loved ones they may or may not have a healthy relationship with. If this wasn't true, gangland stories and TV series like the Sopranos wouldn't nearly be as fascinating or popular.


Last edited by Midnight Tea on Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wobster109



Joined: 12 Jan 2012
Posts: 160

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigh. I'm going to assume Milton hasn't said anything out loud to Blue, also assuming what he said about female bosses was an aside to the audience, since Blue didn't react to it. I'm not going to blame Milton, as he honestly doesn't seem to know better, but ---

Guys like him are driving women out of tech companies.
_________________
Bad Advice Wobster! Get your bad advice here!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Echo



Joined: 18 Jul 2013
Posts: 653

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, tech companies in particular are notorious for this but it can happen anywhere.

Also, I had Bullshit Bingo with the "It's because he was unattractive" line. What do I win?

Top Tip to not be a fucking creep: Don't try it on with colleagues when you're working. You want to try and develop some sort of romantic relationship, you have to do that in a social context, not in one where your victim can't tell you to go away and leave her alone, because she has to keep working with you. It's the social equivalent of backing someone into a corner and blocking the exit before endlessly trying to bully them in to doing what you want.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
OklahomanSun



Joined: 16 Mar 2014
Posts: 362

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Echo wrote:
Aye, tech companies in particular are notorious for this but it can happen anywhere.

Also, I had Bullshit Bingo with the "It's because he was unattractive" line. What do I win?

Top Tip to not be a fucking creep: Don't try it on with colleagues when you're working. You want to try and develop some sort of romantic relationship, you have to do that in a social context, not in one where your victim can't tell you to go away and leave her alone, because she has to keep working with you. It's the social equivalent of backing someone into a corner and blocking the exit before endlessly trying to bully them in to doing what you want.


So in an adult world where more than half your life will be spent at work, making it one of the most likely areas you will meet people, you should never try to strike up a relationship.

Got it.

That's realistic.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mouse



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 17282
Location: under the bed

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, she's saying not to try to strike up a romance in a situation where the other person can't react as she wants to you, out of fear of causing problems in the work relationship.

although i have to say, i suspect in this situation, milton is going to be the one having work problems. especially if he continues while blue is in charge.

"milton...milton....oh, yeah, the guy who used to be in charge of the tech division. he screwed up so i bomfed him."
_________________
aka: neverscared!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Night Spade



Joined: 13 Jan 2010
Posts: 1204
Location: Australia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khan wrote:
"Maybe if we got (her) drunk! ...VERY drunk. It's worth a shot?"


The only way that might remotely work is if she got soooo drunk that even the ghost of Amy Winehouse would go to her and say "Whoa girl, you seriously need to lay off the booze".
_________________
“I believe in benevolent dictatorship provided I am the dictator”
- Richard Branson -
----
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tricksterson



Joined: 18 Aug 2012
Posts: 468

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's not really menacing enough to be creepy, just pathetic.
_________________
I aim to misbehave
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
diagram12345



Joined: 08 Jul 2012
Posts: 158

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he said the "totally HOT" part out loud, then he's a creep. If he didn't, then Blue is being weird.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Samsally



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 6508

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diagram12345 wrote:
If he said the "totally HOT" part out loud, then he's a creep. If he didn't, then Blue is being weird.

Wrong.
_________________
Samsally the GrayAce
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diagram12345



Joined: 08 Jul 2012
Posts: 158

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OklahomanSun wrote:
Echo wrote:
Aye, tech companies in particular are notorious for this but it can happen anywhere.

Also, I had Bullshit Bingo with the "It's because he was unattractive" line. What do I win?

Top Tip to not be a fucking creep: Don't try it on with colleagues when you're working. You want to try and develop some sort of romantic relationship, you have to do that in a social context, not in one where your victim can't tell you to go away and leave her alone, because she has to keep working with you. It's the social equivalent of backing someone into a corner and blocking the exit before endlessly trying to bully them in to doing what you want.


So in an adult world where more than half your life will be spent at work, making it one of the most likely areas you will meet people, you should never try to strike up a relationship.

Got it.

That's realistic.


Stop it. You're creating a strawman. There's nothing wrong with asking a co-worker if they're interested, you like who you like, after all. Lots of healthy relationships have started at work. Sometimes the other party is interested, sometimes they aren't. One of my co-workers asked me out, I told him I wasn't interested in him like that, and then that was that. No one did anything wrong in that situation.

What's shitty is when there's an obvious conflict of interest (boss/employee is the most obvious one), or if you keep trying after the other party has rejected you, or if you make things weird after they've rejected you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diagram12345



Joined: 08 Jul 2012
Posts: 158

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
diagram12345 wrote:
If he said the "totally HOT" part out loud, then he's a creep. If he didn't, then Blue is being weird.

Wrong.


Besides saying/thinking that she was hot, what else did he say that could have been construed as being creepy? He was nervously arguing that he wanted to study the (in the company's eyes) malfunctioning piece of hardware, and she was arguing that the hardware needed to be ripped apart "limb from limb."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mouse



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 17282
Location: under the bed

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

has blue met milton before? she might just be re-iterating an already-formed opinion.
_________________
aka: neverscared!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Miss Magenta



Joined: 09 Jun 2011
Posts: 1929
Location: im probably asleep right now

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well there was a previous strip in which blue calls milton to ask for a status report regarding the rogue fembot situation... their dialogue indicates that they've known each other prior to this, though we had never been shown any interactions between the two until then.


_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
stripeypants



Joined: 24 Feb 2013
Posts: 3429
Location: Land of the Grumpuses

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the second coworker that Milton assumes is totally into him. Without any reason other than they exist, are women, and he's attracted to them. It is entirely possible he does this with a lot more coworkers than we've seen.
Many of us have experienced that fucking coworker. It sucks because you still have to go to work, even if that coworker is there.

When someone is creeping like that, you know, because they behave a certain way. Even if they don't say anything. It's in the way they stare at you, and how they talk. Blue deals with creepy customers all the time, so she's likely got plenty of experience in knowing who is a creep and who isn't.


Khan, when Fuschia first started going out with/hanging out with Crim, Blue yelled at him for acting like he could save Fuschia. Fuschia was doing a lot of things at the time that could have gotten her in trouble, like skipping work, in order to spend time with Crim. She had reasons to think Crim was dangerous for her friend, and reasons to think she should save Fuschia from herself.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Midnight Tea



Joined: 15 Jul 2012
Posts: 202
Location: In the Haunted Lands

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be very, very clear beyond a shadow of a reasonable doubt: It's not that Milton isn't "creepy" because he's a nerd who has a huge crush on his coworker(s) and/or superiors. You often can't help how you feel about people in that sense and it would be indeed be unfair to judge him on his feelings alone. It's not even wrong to want to possibly even develop a romantic relationship starting from the workplace, though it's not advisable.

However.

What makes him creepy is that he doesn't have a realistic understanding of what comprises an intimate overture. What makes him creepy is that it colors his interactions with his coworkers to the point they can obviously tell he's drooling over them. Blue's reaction in the final panel ("fucking creep") is important because the involved movements and body language is difficult to portray in this medium and we can't see where his eyes are looking at. When someone is clearly lusting after you and lacks even the most basic social skills to either temper that feeling or confess it to you in a mature way, that will make you uncomfortable with every interaction. Milton just takes it to the next level by not even being self-aware enough to know what a healthy romantic interaction even looks like.

(By the way, it's not a matter of gender. Anyone can be guilty of this. I've had female coworkers creep on me in very much the same way -- though admittedly, I had much less reason to worry that that during a company party she might get drunk and try to force herself on me.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group