welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

June 11, 2014: Devil Tech Headquarters 13
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Midnight Tea

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
Wait what? The first strip dates to 2000 - Newsgroups (talk.religion and the more inflammatory alt.religion, as well as all different manner of BBS boards) had been discussing and debating and criticizing religion for more than a decade and a half by that point. Analyzing or criticizing religion was far from 'taboo', it was mundane, everyday shit on the internet by the time Sinfest showed up.

Sinfest was never really 'edge', even in it's early years. Satiric, yes; Edgy, no.

No, it wasn't edgy by internet standards for the time. This is true. The anti-religious undercurrent was there from day one. But remember that the internet usage wasn't yet a universal cultural thing, nor was rapid information sharing yet a cultural zeitgeist.

I'm talking more public fora and that weird beast called RL. It was still considered to be in extremely poor taste to outwardly show disdain of religion. Admitting to being an atheist back in the day got you in a lot more trouble in real life in 1998 than it does today. Even to this day it's still something that could potentially damage your career depending on your field (that is, the "atheist" label in and of itself). This means that a comic like Sinfest which poked fun at everything did in fact have a place as a foil to comfortable social assumptions.

I'll grant that maybe "edgy" isn't quite the right word since I wouldn't use it to describe it in its current state either. Allow me a correction and instead say "contentious". Sinfest was contentious and did gently poke at some sacred cows. It wasn't particularly preachy about it like it can be today, granted.

My general point is that the underlying spirit or intention of the comic is still there, against the protestations of those who say it changed and should go back to its "true" form.
Ronald

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This clears up the point I raised earlier: Milton obviously does not know that the source of PX's alteration is The Reality Zone. Which begs the question as to whether The Devil for whatever reason kept him in the dark about this or whether The Devil himself doesn't know. For a guy who's supposed to be in the details...
Samsally

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could just be that they hold the bots in enough contempt to not bother being able to tell the difference between them since the sisterhood has altered some fembots programing before?
Echo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First panel, a view of Slick in the Reality Zone. From Pxsomethingsomething's memories, possibly the first memory. Milton may not have worked out that that's where she was, but he's got the data...
Samsally

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wondered where Px had met Xanthe because I didn't remember, but then I found this comic.

Apparently Px's interactions with the sisterhood just involves them protecting her from harassment and providing warm clothing. Gosh, how dare they.
Onimaru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine he knows, he had to have SEEN what caused her "Malfunction", but I think he honestly believes that it is somehow brainwashing. I think he just convinced himself that HAD to be the answer because of how he's talking.

He thinks that his creations are happy in their programmed ways, that not knowing anything but what HE tells them is what their lives are supposed to be is the only way they can truly be fulfilled, that thinking differently has to be brought about by force rather than simply having a different opinion.

This is VERY similar to how many people accused Tat of being 'Brainwashed' by some woman into changing the comic, or doing it just to impress someone. Just like Milton accusing the Sisterhood of having brainwashed the fembot, it HAS to have a reason that was forced upon them, because no one just 'changes' into someone different according to most people they need to be altered. They can't accept that just MAYBE someone simply had a change of view or perspective.
Yinello

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
Could just be that they hold the bots in enough contempt to not bother being able to tell the difference between them since the sisterhood has altered some fembots programing before?

You know, I've been going through the comics from here and I just realized what a long walk Px has gone through. Also she didn't start out angry at all, it's the treatment of fembots that caused this. Px saying that there's no going back makes me realize she doesn't want to go back to being a happy fembot because she knows her fate will eventually be ending up in the trashcan.
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

milton may also be suggesting the brainwashing because his only hope (it seems) is to convince her to let him put back her original programming. since she is now out of the reality zone and yet still behaving in ways becoming real motivated her, there is probably no way to "un-reality" her - and how would you get someone to agree to that, anyway?

no, "let me turn you back into being happy" is probably a desperate attempt to save his own hide, in the way he knows how best to do.

not that i am discounting the notion that milton is essentially clueless, and probably genuinely does believe that the only reason she is not the happy companionable fembot he created is because something (or someone) screwed up her programming. which he can fix. honest.
Echo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
there is probably no way to "un-reality" her - and how would you get someone to agree to that, anyway?

That question triggers vague ideas in my mind of lobotomy or similar, and you carry it out not through agreement but by constructing a system where that gets done to people because someone else decides that it's best for them.

Or some other scenario from the bad old days of the mental health care system, albeit maybe not quite as bad as just locking people up and charging for people to visit and poke the inmates with long sticks.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if she doesn't kill him, he will be in trouble, because his not dismantling her before led to her escaping like this. Unless he can shut her down now somehow.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:19 am    Post subject: A+ writing Reply with quote

I vote (kill him/chemically castrate) him, and then cut to a pic of his family.
Timpie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: A+ writing Reply with quote

This goes along so well wit the idea of the Matrix.

Cypher - The Matrix (1999) wrote:
"You know, I know this steak doesn't exist. I know that when I put it in my mouth, the Matrix is telling my brain that it is juicy and delicious. After nine years, you know what I realize?

[Takes a bite of steak]

Ignorance is bliss."

I mean, why wouldn't you go back to a state of not knowing what you truely are and what your fate might by in exchange for some sacharine fake happiness? Sometimes it's a hard choice to make, but here it looks like Pix's choice is pretty clear.
Ronald

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
not that i am discounting the notion that milton is essentially clueless, and probably genuinely does believe that the only reason she is not the happy companionable fembot he created is because something (or someone) screwed up her programming

Well, something did "screw up" her programming: The Reality Zone. That's not what, specifically, filled her with rage and resentment, but that's what set the process into motion. If being in The Reality Zone hadn't permanently altered her, she would've just gone back to Slick after she her Zone-induced confusion wore off, as she was doubtlessly programmed to do if she was ever separated from him for any reason.

"Aahh, I've wandered away from My True Love! Error! Must return and receive erotic discipline! Accessing map to Our Love Nest..."

OSLT.
Yinello

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: A+ writing Reply with quote

Timpie wrote:
This goes along so well wit the idea of the Matrix.

Cypher - The Matrix (1999) wrote:
"You know, I know this steak doesn't exist. I know that when I put it in my mouth, the Matrix is telling my brain that it is juicy and delicious. After nine years, you know what I realize?

[Takes a bite of steak]

Ignorance is bliss."

I mean, why wouldn't you go back to a state of not knowing what you truely are and what your fate might by in exchange for some sacharine fake happiness? Sometimes it's a hard choice to make, but here it looks like Pix's choice is pretty clear.

Except that Px, should she chose to be reprogrammed, knows that her short term fate will be death. Be it by Milton or by whoever buys her and decides he's unhappy with his product. If Milton were to offer her reprogramming with a guarantee of a happy end, it might be similiar to the Matrix. But she knows that he could easily not live up to his word, not with D-man running the scene.
Hekateras

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ennis wrote:
But the Sisterhood didn't have anything to do with her becoming this way...

I actually see this as a kind of metaphor for when people have a feminist awakening, and other people are like "man, why are you so uptight now, why can't you go back to the fun person you were before? You seemed happier then."

Yes, exactly, that's how I saw it too. In conjunction with patronising, high-handedly "well-meaning" and not at all self-serving attempts to ever so graciously explain to the irate woman what's exactly wrong with her, how this "isn't the real her", and offer to "fix her".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: