welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

June 12, 2014: Devil Tech Headquarters 14
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stripeypants

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be more concerned about how Blue is using her power, but I don't think she's actually stalking Fuschia. In past strips, Blue has kept an eye on what Fuschia was doing, and then helped her avoid being detected or getting into trouble. If Blue starts doing creepy, creepy things with her power, then I'll be concerned about it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do want to remind people that are saying Blue is being creepy/stalking/etc. that she's a demon currently watching the seat for the Devil. She's not doing her job if she isn't being selfish/evil/etc. to some degree. This whole spying patriarchy thing is creepy, that's the while point of the thing story-wise.

Two feelings come to mind for me. One is that yeah, it makes me a little sad for Blue. Blue-inspired blues? Not much else to say. She's a complex character and we've talked about this before.

The other is that I'm actually kind of glad to see Fyoosh again. I kept thinking Px sort of "stole" her arc due to their visual similarities and that Fuchsia maybe wasn't interesting for Mr. Ishida to write anymore. Nice to see you again, Fyoosh!

I don't actually mind this cut away, particularly if something horrifying is happening to Milton at the moment or some other offscreen transition (I'm betting she's currently strapping him to the apparatus she was on). This cut to Blue also could serve the purpose of explaining why she might not be aware of the what's going on down in the labs at the moment of the shit hitting the fan, proactively nipping a potential plot hole in the bud.
wobster109

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuchsia, what are you doing? Blue wasn't all sunshine and happiness the way she "used to be". She was working in the dark, struggling to make a living, and being creeped on all the time. Now she's vice president of Devil-Corp. She's done good for herself. She doesn't have to make the same choices as you. Be happy for her.
Midnight Tea

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuchsia is also sort of missing the bigger picture -- Blue was happy because of her. It doesn't mean their relationship was healthy or should have necessarily continued (go go gadget codependence). I have to reluctantly agree that it wasn't the Devil or D-corp by itself that necessarily turned Blue into a loveless stone cold demon queen.
zarus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. This arc is going to reveal the total lack of empathy even the most likable "good guys" have for their antagonists.

Morality isn't there to make people be "good." It's there to limit the kinds of thoughts and behaviors that people are psychologically capable of conceiving/enacting.
Midnight Tea

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zarus wrote:
Nice. This arc is going to reveal the total lack of empathy even the most likable "good guys" have for their antagonists.

If you're talking about Fyoosh here, that's rather harsh and rushing to judgment besides. We don't know what she or Blue talked about so claiming she lacks empathy has no ground. Clearly there was enough of a connection present that their talk didn't end with objects being thrown. I'll agree she's perhaps missing the bigger picture, but it's easy to forget the only people who really have that are the readers.

*looks at Rothide*

Well, in theory anyway.

Quote:
Morality isn't there to make people be "good." It's there to limit the kinds of thoughts and behaviors that people are psychologically capable of conceiving/enacting.

Like aspiring to be like the devil. Agreed.

Aside from the "thoughts" part, that is. There's no such thing as a justifiably enforceable thought crime.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuschia wants to be human, so I could see how she might think that Blue was happier as a human too. Would like to see the two of them talk about this so we could get more of Blue's actual feelings on the subject.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's just humanity. I think it's the sacrifices involved in being a Devil Girl at the mansion. Blue might enjoy the Soul Audits and the occasional stabby session in the basement, but many of the people she has to deal with are creeps, and being in the mansion means being cut off with everyone outside. Including her best friend Fyoosh.

Being stuck in a place with no friends is no fun. Fyoosh remembers Blue when she had freedom, and friends, and a dream of getting to the mansion. That's a happy time compared to the restrictions of the mansion, the loneliness, and a dream that tastes of ashes.
Midnight Tea

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. I think Fuchsia is probably missing the forest for the trees if she thinks lost humanity is necessarily a root cause of Blue's problems and Blue really has issues of codependency if her happiness in her role hinged on the presence of one person.

Again, I'm reminded me of the drama I've seen with people who unsubscribe from MMORPGs.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a sad situation all around.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zarus wrote:

I hope not--that kind of gets away from what makes them likable "good guys," at least for me.

Quote:

I don't agree, but am not sure any debate will build bridges over this gap. (Sorry, got a bit burned on the other thread.)
Samsally

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zarus wrote:

You say that like it's a bad thing.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is the lead-in to some Nietzschean supervillain rant, isn't it
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zarus wrote:

But that will all change when I unleash my Dark MacGuffin! And you cannot stop me, Mr. Bond! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

*cue lightning*
diagram12345

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well. That's pretty creepy, Blue. It doesn't matter what her reasons are for spying, it's not consensual and feels shady.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: