welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

June 13, 2014: Devil Tech Headquarters 15

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ennis

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:20 am    Post subject: June 13, 2014: Devil Tech Headquarters 15 Reply with quote

I'm confused about whether this is referring to Pixie or if one of the assassin bots have been activated.
Yinello

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Px. It would be cool if there's another bot in the mix.
Echo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I expect it's Pxsomethingsomething too.

Also, it seems that Blue/Tat shares the popular view of Milton's expertise taken by a number of forum posters...
Samsally

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming the creator shares the views of one of their characters is pretty silly. 'Specially someone as shrouded in mysterious mystery as Tat.
Midnight Tea

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do think an interesting discussion can be had about which character(s) most speaks for Mr. Ishida. If nothing else, definitely how his relationship with Slick as a character must've shifted over time.

Personally, I'd say it's near certain that he personally identifies much closer with Monique and Fuchsia than Slick nowadays. It's also fair to suggest that as such, he probably personally places a lot less emphasis on gender when it comes to identifying/empathizing with people which is totally awesome. I don't think it's likely Mr. Ishida is as mysterious or aloof as people make him out to be, just probably not as inclined to socialize online.

(I remember a time not so long ago when the people who did do a lot of their socializing online were considered the freaks and loners.)
Samsally

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just doesn't feel right to talk about him like that when he's either not around to comment, or disinclined to. Even if you're not gunna say shitty things, you know?
Midnight Tea

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, it's kind of necessarily a consequence of putting yourself out in the public eye as a creator in this day and age. A price you pay for fame and attention is that people will scrutinize or analyze you and pretty much anything you say will be discussed at length on twitter. I'm not saying this is or good or bad and it can certainly go too far, it's just how this era is.

And yeah, as private as Mr. Ishida is, he isn't "quiet" and he is making ongoing daily commentary. In the form of a comic strip, as a matter of fact.
Samsally

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still don't see the point of scrutinizing what he may or may not be thinking when we could, instead, be scrutinizing what the comic itself is actually saying.

It seems like an important distinction to me because who cares what one guy is personally thinking at any given time? I care way more about what the comic he makes is saying, either intentionally or inadvertently.
OklahomanSun

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
Assuming the creator shares the views of one of their characters is pretty silly. 'Specially someone as shrouded in mysterious mystery as Tat.

He's reclusive, not mysterious. There's a substantive difference. He's not a complicated storyteller. I'm not so sure how mysterious he is.
CalmBlueSea

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do halfway agree with you on that, Sam. But a deeper understanding of author intent can help understand those works they author.

I grew up with Orson Scott Card's Ender and Shadow series'. I think most of you know now what a shitlord he is as a person, the horrible things he's said about homosexuality, but all that isn't as obvious judging just from his writing. For example, in 'Shadow Puppets' there is a scene were the genetically altered Bean is conversing with the scientist responsible for discovering the method used to make Bean into a short-lived super genius, attempting to convince Bean to have children with the woman he loves despite the possibility of them sharing his genetic alteration. To do so he tells Bean about how he was a devoted scientist and let his work be his life, due in part to his success in, and love for, that field. And also due to his "disposition not to look upon women with desire." He would "indulge himself in fleeting affairs that meant nothing, that led nowhere. How could they?" He goes on to say that the meaning of life is to find someone, specifically of the opposite sex, and try to have kids, if possible.

It seemed so innocuous when I first read it at 15, if a bit problematic because of what he doesn't say. It was easy to pass off as being written that way for the prose. It's more offensive reading it now that his views are so public. (Even re-reading it just now for the quotes, it's so much more obvious where he's coming from than I'd remembered.)

I still love his writing, BTW. I just pirate everything he writes now and grit my teeth whenever he goes Full Mormon on me.
Midnight Tea

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, funny thing is, I don't mind trying to figure out what the comic is saying about the actual author because: I really like the actual author!

It actually fascinates me quite a bit about how much Mr. Ishida must've changed as a human being and as a creator to have shifted the focus of his work to as incredible a degree as he did. There is a part of me that simply adamantly refuses to believe people change -- I like to shut that part of me up with as much data as conceivably possible.
But what's even more fascinating to me is that when he must've completely changed, Mr. Ishida actually stuck with his comic. That's a new concept to me. Most people would've gladly quit and started a new project entirely. Most people would've been so embarrassed by their bizarre archives that might have well been drawn by a completely different person, they'd have cut that weight loose and started anew. It'd have been completely understandable and probably even advisable. Instead Mr. Ishida opted to change his whole work against protestations of the fanbase he made, and live with his archives and try to make his history part of his personal strength and drive. That is not the actions of someone with any small amount of willpower. That much for certain isn't a mystery about him.

Do I want to know about that kind of person? Damn right I do. I wish I could be that kind of person! The best way for me to do that, yeah, is to think about and speculate which characters he feels closest to. Why he might feel that way about them? And yes, his changing relationship with Slick. It's helping me a lot with a bit of writer's block so -- good on you, Mr. Ishida!
Hydro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came to make the obvious joke.

"Dammit it Milton, you had one job."
Ennis

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CalmBlueSea wrote:
I grew up with Orson Scott Card's Ender and Shadow series'. I think most of you know now what a shitlord he is as a person, the horrible things he's said about homosexuality, but all that isn't as obvious judging just from his writing. For example, in 'Shadow Puppets' there is a scene were the genetically altered Bean is conversing with the scientist responsible for discovering the method used to make Bean into a short-lived super genius, attempting to convince Bean to have children with the woman he loves despite the possibility of them sharing his genetic alteration. To do so he tells Bean about how he was a devoted scientist and let his work be his life, due in part to his success in, and love for, that field. And also due to his "disposition not to look upon women with desire." He would "indulge himself in fleeting affairs that meant nothing, that led nowhere. How could they?" He goes on to say that the meaning of life is to find someone, specifically of the opposite sex, and try to have kids, if possible.

It seemed so innocuous when I first read it at 15, if a bit problematic because of what he doesn't say. It was easy to pass off as being written that way for the prose. It's more offensive reading it now that his views are so public. (Even re-reading it just now for the quotes, it's so much more obvious where he's coming from than I'd remembered.)

I still love his writing, BTW. I just pirate everything he writes now and grit my teeth whenever he goes Full Mormon on me.

Oh my god I've read most of those books and it's just so irritating that one minute he's writing absolute brilliance and the next he's going on a pages long screed about evopsych and the importance of straight people's relationships over literally everything else. For so many books he acted like gay (or even non-straight) people didn't exist, and then the first time he actually used the word "gay" was as the most stupid "hurr, someone thought Ender was gay, hurr" pathetic excuse for a gag. I will also never get over the mind-boggling sexism of claiming that the battle school had only SEVEN* girls at the battle school because "female brains and bodies weren't designed to succeed at this kind of thing, poor dears, evolution working against them". EVEN ADULTS DO NOT HAVE THAT LEVEL OF DIMORPHISM.

Anyway, I liked the battle school books and the ones about the wars on earth, the others were a bit hit and miss. I'm so annoyed that he had Peter shack up with Bean's wife eventually, I actually ended up relating to him more than Ender. Even though he had to work hard, a lot of Ender's talent was innate, whereas I feel like Peter had to struggle for everything while everyone was against him, trying to do the right thing when he wasn't even sure of his own morality. There was a particular scene where I went "ouch, right in the feels", the one where he had some kind of conference in the morning but he was so depressed over everything that he had to be dragged to it, to pretend to be fine and handle everything when really he just wanted to hide away forever.

Basically I really want to love the books but the random evopsych and whatnot is really offputting.

*Disclaimer this may be incorrect, but it was definitely less than ten
Samsally

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tea: aaah okay, I get where you're coming from, I think. Not sure I'm on board for those discussions really, but it makes more sense to me.

CalmBlueSea: I get that knowing an author's intent could be useful, no doubt. But sitting around making wild speculations about it knowing full well we won't get any real confirmation on any of it is a whole different kettle of fish.

Ennis: I've always hated Enders Game. Like, made it halfway through and ragequit levels of hate. Reading it was just so unpleasant for such a long list of reasons I'm constantly baffled over it's popularity.
Ronald

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: June 13, 2014: Devil Tech Headquarters 15 Reply with quote

Ennis wrote:

"Geez, I leave that guy alone for five minutes..."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: