welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How Big Pharma turned obesity into a desease...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: How Big Pharma turned obesity into a desease... Reply with quote

then invented the drugs to cure it

http://wired.com/wired/archive/14.10/thin.html

It's long but good

Gives it up for taking advantage of peoples insecurities and making billions off of it </sarcasm>
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Marik

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:59 am    Post subject: fatty fatty Reply with quote

Strange.

I actually want for obesity to be treatable with drugs. It would significantly increase the quality of life for all of those people in modern society who simply cannot -- much as we point out that they should be able to -- manage their weight with diet and healthy lifestyle.

Everything I do in life that I enjoy is epicurean and active. I'm a full-grown adult, and I still climb trees and balance on i-beams just for fun -- much like a kid would. From my perspective, being fat is more of an enervation than having cancer. It just cuts out a lot of the ability to do things I certainly wouldn't want to go without. Probably on account of this, I'm fine with treating it as an affliction, regardless as to how personal lifestyle choices factor into it.
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would the quality of life increase if we could treat mortality with drugs?
Marik

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:36 am    Post subject: plus everything hurts Reply with quote

Yeah, especially considering that being old is one of the most reliably detrimental physical conditions in existance.
Dro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would the quality of life increase if we could treat morality with drugs?
Xilonen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: fatty fatty Reply with quote

Marik wrote:
I'm fine with treating it as an affliction, regardless as to how personal lifestyle choices factor into it.

many diseases can be directly traced to poor lifestyle choices, such as heart disease or many varieties of highly preventable cancer. combine poor choices with a genetic predisposition to a specific affliction and boom: disease! i don't see why this is fundamentally any different than a heavy drinker's liver failure or smoker's lung cancer. obesity (thankfully) in most cases is just easier to treat with a change in habits.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: plus everything hurts Reply with quote

Marik wrote:
Yeah, especially considering that being old is one of the most reliably detrimental physical conditions in existance.

I'd say no due to overpopulation and lack of resources in the long term of things.
Snorri

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but you wouldn't die if you didn't get any food.

AfyonBlade

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A change in habits isn't all that easy. We're talking about Americans, here. They would rather take a pill to make them skinnier than go through the effort of walking the mile to the closest fast food restaurant, or sweeping a few bits of food off of their late to be used as leftovers for another meal.

In a nation that doesn't think their healthcare system is worth a shit(it is), we are pretty trusting that pills will solve everything.
Be Evil.
Michael

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AfyonBlade wrote:
We're talking about Americans, here.

heh.
I was looking for a polite way to point this out. Not limited to but most prevalent in sort of thing and all that.
Krazy Stixx

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, meth and heroin both get rid of your appetite...

so really, this whole "obesity pill" thing is passe.
andrew

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've debated the whole "fat discrimination" and "it's ok to be fat" thing on five different boards now. Hence, I will restrict my comments to:

1) Being fat is a negative thing, period. It's not a matter of opinion, it's quantified fact, regardless of the origination of the condition and the relative health of the overweight person.

2) If pharmaceutical companies want to call it a disease in order to sell a cure, more power to them. It's one of the least corrupt things the pharmaceutical industry has done in the past few decades.

Krazy Stixx wrote:
You know, meth and heroin both get rid of your appetite...

Don't forget MDMA!
Marik

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: PLUMPSECUTION Reply with quote

Sheesh, you act as if someone would ever yell at you for maintaining that being fat is bad oh wait right that happens a lot huh.
andrew

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: PLUMPSECUTION Reply with quote

Marik wrote:
Sheesh, you act as if someone would ever yell at you for maintaining that being fat is bad oh wait right that happens a lot huh.

Yeah, almost exclusively from people who misinterpret it as a condemnation of fat people, or think it's indicative of my desire to further discrimination against fat people.

Hooray, reading comprehension!
kame

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: PLUMPSECUTION Reply with quote

andrew wrote:
Marik wrote:

Yeah, almost exclusively from people who misinterpret it as a condemnation of fat people, or think it's indicative of my desire to further discrimination against fat people.

Hooray, reading comprehension!

But, but, but, but we're not allowed to call anyone on any issue, good or bad, perceived or imagined, ever!

It's what the PC Police keep telling me. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: