welcome to the fest
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How Big Pharma turned obesity into a desease...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
MsFrisby



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 3966
Location: a quiet little corner of crazy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually DO have a yoga video. It takes about an hour to do it. I should use it more often, but the lady's voice just.. Anyway.. it's good and I should do it. I need someone to call me and say, "Kristi, I know you're tired. You had a long day. But you know you need to pop in that yoga video, girl."
_________________
A person's character is their destiny.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
WheelsOfConfusion



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 12187
Location: Unknown Kaddath

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AfyonBlade wrote:
Because they like to take care of their elders. They respect older people. Ifthey are disabled, robotics will help them out. My University recently completed a research project on a stair-climbing wheelchair. Robots carrying around elderly people doesn't make their general culture 'lazy.'

Except that you don't NEED robots. There are plenty of people willing and able to do that job. Rolling Eyes

Bun Bun: Actually, you CAN be obese without being a glutton. Going by the BMI (how craptacular!), a large bodybuilder is obese even if he has less than the recommened amount of body fat. Also, there are many homornal conditions that can lead to being overweight, and inactivity can lead to being fatty even if you don't eat too much.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Guccipiggy



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 2003

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only skinny girl in the dove ad is the really pale girl. The rest are fat.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Marik



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 1234

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I actually DO have a yoga video. It takes about an hour to do it. I should use it more often, but the lady's voice just.. Anyway.. it's good and I should do it. I need someone to call me and say, "Kristi, I know you're tired. You had a long day. But you know you need to pop in that yoga video, girl."


Careful there! You want me to remind you to do yoga every day?

Because I'll do it.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MsFrisby



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 3966
Location: a quiet little corner of crazy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marik wrote:


Careful there! You want me to remind you to do yoga every day?

Because I'll do it.



Oh, I think that's a great idea. Smile
_________________
A person's character is their destiny.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Xilonen



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 465
Location: Bellingham, WA

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i find it hard to call anyone who looks good in their underwear fat.

i associate fat with unattractiveness, while overweight is less negative. if you are in shape, and thus not cellulite-y, i don't really consider that fat. all those women look great in their undies and are definitely in shape. they may have some extra weight to them, but they don't have the telltale pudge that goes with 'fat.'
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
crossbow
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the dove women are beautiful. i agree with msfris, that if they can shop in a normal clothing store, they're doing fine.

you all have the option of seeing me naked, so i can use myself as an example. my bodyfat is too high, and my bodyweight is too low. there is not a damn thing i can do about it, because i've lost so much muscle mass in my legs that i'll never get back. but technically, i'm probably fat, and i bike and do yoga regularly and eat less than 800 kc every day. doesn't make a lick of a difference.
Back to top
AfyonBlade



Joined: 16 Sep 2006
Posts: 681
Location: The Middle of Everywhere

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In high school I had a friend that was overweight, so she decided that she needed to eat less and less, and not very regularly. Basically what that does is tell your body that there's a freaking famine going on and any calories it takes in it stores immediately. She couldn't lose weight. About a year ago I finally convinced her to eat three meals a day, and do light walking, and, wabam, she lost something on the order of 40 pounds in a month.
She was actually a bit annoyed because she had to buy new all new clothes. Expensive.
_________________
Knowledge is Power.
Power Corrupts.
Study.
Be Evil.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dr. Awkward



Joined: 05 Aug 2006
Posts: 74

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone is at risk of other health problems due to their body fat, I don't see a problem with some form of medical assistance to get them back to a healthy body fat ratio.

If someone is unhappy with their weight, and not at risk of other health issues, medical assistance should not be readily available to them.

For this reason, I am somewhat leary of a pill to this effect. If it's available over the counter, it's up to the whim of the consumer, and if taken in private, it can be difficult to tell if they are using them as directed. If it's available by perscription only, this limits the pill's availability, but doesn't prevent it from getting into the wrong hands. If someone wants a specific drug, they can get it in many cases, either by jumping from doctor to doctor until one of them finally approves it, or by taking the pills from someone who obtained them legitimately.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Xilonen



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 465
Location: Bellingham, WA

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Awkward wrote:
For this reason, I am somewhat leary of a pill to this effect. If it's available over the counter, it's up to the whim of the consumer, and if taken in private, it can be difficult to tell if they are using them as directed. If it's available by perscription only, this limits the pill's availability, but doesn't prevent it from getting into the wrong hands. If someone wants a specific drug, they can get it in many cases, either by jumping from doctor to doctor until one of them finally approves it, or by taking the pills from someone who obtained them legitimately.


how is this different than the hundreds of pills, formulas, powders, or plans already sold over the counter? at least this one might be medically sound.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
G. Looking Out



Joined: 19 Sep 2006
Posts: 67
Location: This Side of the Big Pond

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People deciding what chemicals can be put in their own bodies? OH NOES! Also, is doctor awkward a real doctor?
_________________
Dot your eyes and cross your tees.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AfyonBlade



Joined: 16 Sep 2006
Posts: 681
Location: The Middle of Everywhere

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I trust a big Pharma company more to make a more medically sound substance than anyone else, for sure.
_________________
Knowledge is Power.
Power Corrupts.
Study.
Be Evil.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Desire



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 587
Location: AK

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, he's not.



As someone who has been both starving-skinny (bones sticking out and all) and different times in my life, I can tell you being fat it is not always just about eating too much food/being a glutton/being lazy.

Genetics, physical problems (such as diabetes, thryroid issues, pain, etc), emotional, and mental issues often play a huge part in it.

Expecting someone who is fat to be able to just stop eating bad food or stop being lazy is about realistic as expecting an alcoholic to just stop drinking or a smoker to just stop smoking (and so forth). It's not impossible, many people are able to do it, but more (if not most) people are not able to do it without some help.

Everyone is different, what works well for one person may not work at all for another person. You can not just lump everyone together, or even in two or three main groups. There are too many variations on the theme.



No one would ever call my brother fat. My long-time nickname for him has been "Jack" after Jack Skellington from Nightmare Before Christmas because he is tall and so damnned skinny. And the man is solid. Hugging him is like hugging a rock/statue... yet when he had to have some testing done in his brain back in June and they had to run something up through his main artery/vein (I forget which) from groin to brain, it took them three times as long to do the procedure because his veins/arteries were so clogged.

He smokes at least a pack a day so that doesn't help but the real problem is that he eats so badly and has since he's been an adult. He regularly lives on fast food, high-fat junk food, greasy diner food, etc. He doesn't eat much that is actually healthy for him. And the amounts he can eat at a sitting! He can eat more at a meal then most men I've known who weighed over 300 lbs. He never gains weight, he has hardly any fat on his body, but he eats worse then most fat people.

His wife, on the other hand, practically starves herself. She is now as skinny as he is, but she hardly ever eats. When she does eat, it is always healthy food. But she still has problems with her cholesterol being too high. She has her bones jutting out but she still manages to have some fat on her body (which she hates). They're trying to have a baby but she's going to have to gain weight to get pregnant. Luckily, now that they're married (4 months now) she is making my brother eat healthier.

My grandmother always watches what she eats. She's diabetic. And until the last few years, she has always been active and led a healthy lifestyle. But she has always struggled with her weight. No matter how much she only ate healthy food, from a certain point, she just could not lose her "fat." She was not what I would call obese by any sttretch, but by some of the remarks made in this thread, some of you would have considered her so. Yet she did everything she could to stay healthy and control her weight. Her body was very healthy (except for the diabetes) inside; it's the biggest reason she's lived this long (she's 90), but to look at her I think many of you would have labeled her fat and lazy.

My point is that everyone is different and it is not fair to others or ourselves to just lump everyone together. It is not even accurate to assume overweight people are lazy or gluttons or whatever just because they are overweight. Any more then it is to assume people are healthy because they are skinny and look fit.

Are there people who overeat and don't care? Don't want to be healthy. Are too lazy to make any kind of effort? Yes.

But judging by the diet industry though, these are a small minority. Billions are spent by people trying to lose weight and get healthier. It isn't fair to call people lazy because they are used to convenience. How many people will walk 5 miles to work/school everyday when they can drive? How many people will wash all their clothes out by hand when they have a washing machine that will do it much faster and easier?

People don't want to be fat and unhealthy. And there will never be a magical cure all for it. There are just too many reasons for it happening. No pill is going to be able to address all of the causes at once. If taking a pill once a day could help some people (and not hurt them more), then why not? It is not going to work on everyone. But if it can safely help some people, then it should.
_________________
"Her kisses left something to be desired -- the rest of her. "
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CTrees



Joined: 21 Jul 2006
Posts: 3772

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AfyonBlade wrote:
I eat way too much. I used to have to eat at least 3000 calories a day just to keep from LOSING weight. No matter what I did, I couldn't get myself above 150 pounds. Now, with the lovely stresses of college life I have finally hit 175. I'm still a stick at 6', but that's besides the point.
If you say "I wish I had your metabolism," well, imagine waking up starving at 3 AM every day, or getting a bad headache because you postponed your lunch by an hour, causing your blood sugar to plummet.


Bah, you're not a stick. I'm 6'2" and about 140lbs.

andrew wrote:
Part of the differentiation in opinion rises from the fact that the average weight in America has been exponentially increasing over the last decade; regardless of people constantly referencing the past as the time when "omg, Marilyn Munroe was a size 16 and she was BEAUTIFUL" ad nauseum, people were way, way thinner on average 50 years ago than they are now.


One must also remember that clothing sizes have been enlarged greatly over the year. A size 16 in Monroe's day is probably a size ten now. I don't remember exactly how huge the sizing difference from when they were established is, but present sizes really do bear little resemblance to what the sizes are "supposed" to mean.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lily



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 1531
Location: worcester, ma

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CTrees wrote:
One must also remember that clothing sizes have been enlarged greatly over the year. A size 16 in Monroe's day is probably a size ten now. I don't remember exactly how huge the sizing difference from when they were established is, but present sizes really do bear little resemblance to what the sizes are "supposed" to mean.


uh, sizes aren't supposed to mean anything, they're pretty much arbitrary. it's not like size 6 is like planck's constant or pi.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group