welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

June 22, 2014: Devil Tech Headquarters 23
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deviltech really needs to fix their goddamn security.

They're reaching AOL levels of security incompetency here.

Miss Magenta wrote:
Jabberjay wrote:
Also I think the copy of the Manifesto was given to Criminy, but I may be mistaken.

Xanthe only gave Crim copies of Sappho, Beauvoir and Bell Hooks.

A copy of the manifesto was given to Absinthe, not Crim, in this strip.
Echo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There could be any number of solutions but instead the Woman's Rights protesters solves it?

Woo, so suddenly the problem is that, of all possible solutions, it was the Sisterhood who saved the day? Whereas something else would have been OK?

Also, going back a bit to an off-topic comment about angels... the "No halo, no service" sign was just a throwaway thing as part of a wider sequence about Devil People being treated like second-class citizens. Especially since it hasn't been built on in the years since, I don't think it's possible to read anything into it.
Yinello

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronald wrote:
Getting back to, sort of, I don't know, on topic, kind of, here's a feminist quote that's stayed with me:

"Men are afraid women will laugh at them. Women are afraid men will kill them." -- Margaret Atwood

Discuss, or not, whatever.

Anyone who suggests that women kill men anywhere nearly as often as men kill women won't be taken seriously. Nor should they be.

All it takes is one.

One guy who decides he has more authority over your body than yourself. One guy who will ignore all your responses in order to please himself. One guy who knows that he has more muscle mass to take you on whenever need be.

I'll leave this here: Schrödinger’s Rapist
Ronald

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Echo wrote:
Also, going back a bit to an off-topic comment about angels... the "No halo, no service" sign was just a throwaway thing as part of a wider sequence about Devil People being treated like second-class citizens. Especially since it hasn't been built on in the years since, I don't think it's possible to read anything into it.

Well, of course it's possible to read something into it, because that's exactly what I did. It wasn't only possible for me to do that, it was easy. Wink
Ronald

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jabberjay wrote:
As much as I can love Atwood, and she really is a national treasure (I'm Canadian)

Bizarrely enough, so was that guy I mentioned who couldn't find any "anti-man" material more recent than the SCUM Manifesto. What are the odds, huh?
Jabberjay

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronald wrote:
Jabberjay wrote:
As much as I can love Atwood, and she really is a national treasure (I'm Canadian)

Bizarrely enough, so was that guy I mentioned who couldn't find any "anti-man" material more recent than the SCUM Manifesto. What are the odds, huh?

Approximately 1 in 25....

Oh wait... that was a hypothetical question wasn't it?
Ronald

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jabberjay wrote:
Ronald wrote:
Jabberjay wrote:

Approximately 1 in 25....

Oh wait... that was a hypothetical question wasn't it?

The term's "rhetorical," actually, but yes.
Midnight Tea

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
All it takes is one.

One guy who decides he has more authority over your body than yourself. One guy who will ignore all your responses in order to please himself. One guy who knows that he has more muscle mass to take you on whenever need be.

I'll leave this here: Schrödinger’s Rapist

Anthony Burch, the main writer of Borderlands 2 (and from "Hey Ash, Whatcha Playin?") said it really well:

Anthony wrote:
"1 in 6 women are sexually assaulted. If you feel the anti-MRA stuff is overblown, imagine your life being a game of russian roulette."
Jabberjay

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Specifically, if you have truly unusual standards of personal cleanliness, if you are the prophet of your own religion, or if you have tattoos of gang symbols or Technicolor cockroaches all over your face and neck, you are just never going to get a good response approaching a woman cold.

That should be ammended to "most women."

Some women are actually into that shit. One should never say never when making a statement about a broad swath of humanity's sexual or romantic inclinations. It only takes one exception to disprove a rule and all that.

But yeah, with most women, or even just humans in general, any of that shit is probably going to result in a poor response if approached cold. I just hate generalizations, especially about sexual shit. Pushes my buttons, and not my fun sexual buttons!
Istancow

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if you're the deity of your own religion? (quoth Stan)
Jabberjay

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Istancow wrote:
What if you're the deity of your own religion? (quoth Stan)

Seriously, when I say some women are into anything I mean it.

How do you think those creepy guys who have cults and a dozen "wives" meet women? By not approaching them? Evidently they must succeed at least some of the time, tragic as it may be.

Never underestimate the extent of poorness of human taste. If there is some guy who wants to surgically alter his nose to look like a floppy bell-end I guaruntee you there will be at least one woman on this weird Earth of ours who would be absoloutely and wonderfully-happy to have this dick-nosed man ask her out from out of the blue. That being said, dirty cockroach tatooed people who self-diefy would typically come off poorly, as would cocknosed individuals.

But never say never unless you're talking about a specific person or persons when it comes to weird sexual shit. The things I have seen and experienced will not let me tolerate generalizations about this. Which is a shame, because I feel like I'm fixating. The rest of the article is good. Well the name also bugs me because while Shroedinger's Rapist gets the idea across in two words better it presumes the worst result in the title (that the person is a rapist) while Shroedinger's Cat doesn't presume anything other than that there is a cat involved. It can be dead, alive, or in some paradoxical in-between state or whatever. No matter what, the cat-ness is a constant, hence it's presence in the title.

This would be the equivalent of a MRA shitbag making up a term called Shroedinger's Gold-Digger and then applying it to every single women they meet.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're referring to the LDS, a lot of them are born into it, raised to think this is normal and that they have no other options. (Many are not aware that they actually have rights that the LDS is limiting.)

If you belong to the LDS and you try to leave, you risk losing your kids and contact with all your family. (Because of course the LDS owns them.) Family members who remain behind and don't want to get out of the leader's good graces will choose not to talk to family members who have left rather than risk punishment.

Some are convinced the lifestyle is good. A lot are under great pressure or coercion not to leave. And no matter how many are actually happy, there needs to be support for those who actually want to get out - and for the children who have no choice but to be there.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorta the way a man can be a rapist, not a rapist, or something in between. the english language, unfortunately, has no single words for either "cat of unknown life status" or "person of unknown interest in forcing someone to have sex against their will"

Mr Zero wrote:

There was no reason for Chloe to be there, anywhere near there, doing the things she did to save the people she did. Could she have been there anyway? I guess. But having her be there, and useful by solving the sudden obstacle, is just too last-second-fix. "Because the sisterhood girls succeeds at everything they ever do, always, and are not subject to anything that stops them or even inconvenience them, ever. So their just happening to be there must therefore be the perfect solution." Plus they should get away with everything since it's all a daily strip by just one man, yes cut some slack. Unfortunately I'm right in it being a deus ex machina: overly lazy problem solving. Hackergirl was completely unrelated to what was going on, and whatever she was doing shouldn't have been able to fix it.

except there is no evidence that she a) was aware that tange et al. were there or 2) that there was a situation that needed to be 'fixed'. as other people have posted - we know she had the chip, we know she knew assassinbot came from devil tech, we know she has messed with their systems before - this may simply have been her best time to mess with them again. and it's sheer coincidence that opening the doors for the assasinbots also opened them for Our Heros, or that release of the bots is probably going to distract Blue a bit from chasing them down.
Ronald

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, enchantedsleeper, I told you the tangents can range pretty far around here. At least my tangents connect to the overall strip. Wink
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PERSON OF UNKNOWN INTEREST IN BROILING YOUR CHILDREN ALIVE AND FEEDING THEM TO THE POTENTIALLY EXTANT GIANT SQUID
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: