welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

June 25: She's in!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ennis

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronald wrote:
Ennis wrote:
Ronald wrote:
Maybe they were all set for their mission and then it was like, "Oh, for the love of...What're Mecca One and her toyboy doing in Barad-dr?! Unploy and re-circle!"

Did you just call Lil'E Tange's toyboy? brb laughing forever

Well, theoretically, the Sisterhood called him that...

Wink

I am of the opinion that Tange's codename should be Tiger, and Lil'E's should be Angel.
Jabberjay

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think the Sisterhood is trying to convert the combat-model Fembots into soldiers for their cause and possibly re-purpose the factory to create their own Fembot army. Little do they know, that is how the Cylons win.

Don't bet on toasters, you'll always lose.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this person is actually Mecca One.

Also, this is not some other plot that Tat has been coming up with, at least it seems that way to me. He's been referring to revolution and apocalypse, which has just never come to anything before. Seems like he's taking care of that now.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MerchManDan wrote:
Miss Magenta wrote:
team hova

I forget; how did they get that nickname?

one of the previous times the supposed apocalypse was gonna happen - tange referred to herself and lil e as "team hova" after a jay-z song. and started singing the lyrics. i just woke up so i don't really feel like hunting for the strip, so, y'kno, if ronald's in the mood, he can totally take care of that.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Mecca One could also be the original assassin-bot, since it was her memory that Clio got "in" as an apparent first stage of whatever they're doing.
ChastMastr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jabberjay wrote:
I still think the Sisterhood is trying to convert the combat-model Fembots into soldiers for their cause and possibly re-purpose the factory to create their own Fembot army.

Wouldn't that be ... as counter to the Sisterhood's whole philosophy as it would be possible to be? You know, using people and keeping them from having free will or being able to determine for themselves whom they choose to be.
Echo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mecca (Mecha?) One is definitely a bot - either Pxsomethingsomething, who is escaping through the "catacombs", or her weaponised sister whose mind-state was inserted into the weaponised fembot bodies by Clio.

Tess is going in as part of Gold Team, I think. What she's up to, I think we just have to wait and see. Probably stealing the robo-ambulance thingy as an escape vehicle. I'd be very surprised if this was about some sort of takeover by the Sisterhood - I think it's more about freeing people, in this case, various fembots.
Cley Faye

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChastMastr wrote:
Jabberjay wrote:
I still think the Sisterhood is trying to convert the combat-model Fembots into soldiers for their cause and possibly re-purpose the factory to create their own Fembot army.

Wouldn't that be ... as counter to the Sisterhood's whole philosophy as it would be possible to be? You know, using people and keeping them from having free will or being able to determine for themselves whom they choose to be.

Having moral values and believing in a cause doesn't immunise one to blindness. More often than not, radical actions are performed under the impression of "doing the right thing", even if it goes against one's morale.

...not saying it's happening here of course, but creating an "army" of fembot to serve the purpose of the sisterhood is not to be ruled out just because it's against their beliefs.
Rune

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cley Faye wrote:
ChastMastr wrote:
Jabberjay wrote:

Having moral values and believing in a cause doesn't immunise one to blindness. More often than not, radical actions are performed under the impression of "doing the right thing", even if it goes against one's morale.

...not saying it's happening here of course, but creating an "army" of fembot to serve the purpose of the sisterhood is not to be ruled out just because it's against their beliefs.

This is a group that has been shown to consistently avoid actually using lethal force or direct violence, even when their aggressors are doing so. They have a moral code. What makes you think they'd suddenly go all non-consensual with the fembots?
stripeypants

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to urge anyone who likes to use blindness as a metaphor to please reconsider. It makes things harder for actual blind people when blindness is so strongly associated with ignorance, stubbornness, evil, fear, immorality, helplessness, and all the other stuff that it is used to symbolize.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can't just excise useful idioms from the language, though
you have to supersede them with something better
stripeypants

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or people could reconsider whether they need/want the idiom, in light of it affecting real people in a negative way.

I really don't expect you to reconsider it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
you can't just excise useful idioms from the language, though
you have to supersede them with something better

Actually, no, people can absolutely ask people to not use words in certain contexts that kinda perpetuate harmful stereotypes. You're not going to suffer from having to think for a whole two extra seconds.

Besides, as if hypocrisy wouldn't have been a better choice of words? It's hardy some dusty, unknown, obscure alternative, actually describes "doing something you're morally opposed to other people doing" much better. It's practically the definition of hypocrisy, actually, and Cley Faye could have easily used that instead.

It's not a matter of not having anything better. There is always a perfectly fine substitute. It's a matter of people not giving enough of a damn to reach for a better word to use.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And when the word is a symbol for something else, you can always just use the word you mean to say what you're trying to say. Stubborn, mean, unwilling to change, unwilling to learn - those are fine, easy to understand statements.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the problem with trying to find another analogical word than "blindness" is that, say, "hypocrisy" doesn't always work. If someone is so zealous that they at least temporarily can't perceive that they're stepping over moral lines, then while there is some fault, it isn't necessarily as willful as hypocrisy.

"Blindness" is honestly the best metaphor--for thousands of years now in various cultures--for a lack of ability to perceive something, and I think excising it from the language is unwise. Most of our language is metaphorical--"I see your point," or "I understand you," or "I grasp what you're saying" all mean, if taken literally, using eyes, having a physical position, or using hands. "I hear you." Etc. And if we apply the principle to other disabilities--if someone finds themselves, say, crippled by guilt, or paralyzed by anxiety--what other words do we use if we are to avoid referring to being crippled, paralyzed, etc.?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: