welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

June 25: She's in!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
crescentgaia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an actual blind person (legally blind, got six degrees of my field vision left due to retinitis pigmentosa), I really don't care about the blindness idiom. It's something people use and I just shrug my shoulders. Then again, I use it a lot. I did like the joke about the blind leading the blind getting where they're going. Otherwise... eh. However, I realize that I am the exception and not the rule. So take this with a grain of salt because I get annoyed by other things.

Like the person who said that being blind isn't a big deal. Hell yes it is. I've broken bones (ankle and nose, screwed up my dominate hand due to a fall) because I haven't seen something on the ground and went flying. I'm really scared that I'm going to lose all of my sight and not be able to do everything I want to do. It sucks and I would not wish blindness on my worst enemy.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PebbleInTheSky wrote:
Heretical Rants wrote:
you can't just excise useful idioms from the language, though
you have to supersede them with something better

Actually, no, people can absolutely ask people to not use words in certain contexts that kinda perpetuate harmful stereotypes. You're not going to suffer from having to think for a whole two extra seconds.

I agree for words that are used to describe {generic insult}, or those that actually play off of discrimination, but these idioms often cover rather complex chunks of meaning, and no one really associates them with the disability in any capacity beyond {lack of sensory input} -- and {lack of sensory input} is something which everyone has experienced personally in a variety of contexts.

Last edited by Heretical Rants on Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:20 pm; edited 3 times in total
stripeypants

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant that it isn't inherently bad, not that it's nothing.

Edit: I think I should try to clarify. Problems associated with blindness can be made much worse than they have to be.

For instance, before there were laws about not running over people carrying white canes, a blind person who got hit was considered at fault because their being out of the house was clearly a liability - like getting in a car drunk. Now that laws are geared toward drivers making sure they don't hit people, it's safer. Also, if a person is able to get training for getting around the city, cooking, etc, they will be able to do a lot of things someone who doesn't get training for any of that won't be able to.

Which doesn't meant that being blind is a picnic, just that it doesn't have to automatically mean someone is helpless or that their life has to be miserable.

Last edited by stripeypants on Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, there's bad and then there's bad
stripeypants

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crescentgaia wrote:
As an actual blind person (legally blind, got six degrees of my field vision left due to retinitis pigmentosa), I really don't care about the blindness idiom. It's something people use and I just shrug my shoulders. Then again, I use it a lot. I did like the joke about the blind leading the blind getting where they're going. Otherwise... eh. However, I realize that I am the exception and not the rule. So take this with a grain of salt because I get annoyed by other things.

I think it's bound to happen that people have different views, and I know that there are plenty of schisms and people who don't like the NFB take on things (Which is where my views tend to lie.) The friend who taught me had been blind her whole life, so I think the use of blindness as metaphor colored her experiences a lot more than for some other people.

I'm just trying to figure out how to have a conversation about it without stepping on anyone's toes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: