welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

July 6: The Ones Left Behind
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Meddler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:13 am    Post subject: July 6: The Ones Left Behind Reply with quote

Click here to see my artwork!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i feel like that ending there might be a reference to something? im thinkin the beginning of fifth element, with the mondoshawans... but idk...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are LITERALLY fighting the patriarchy.
TerseRiddle

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And then there were three... so,how many do ya'll think are even going to make it out? personally i want it to be one or none... hopefully one makes it.
Nekomancer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have learnt how to sacrifice themselves for the sake of others.
ChastMastr

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Hello, Angels."

Shocked

(Well, three is a good number for a team...)
ChastMastr

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nekomancer wrote:
They have learnt how to sacrifice themselves for the sake of others.

This is AWESOME.

(Very sad but heroic circumstances in which to demonstrate it, though.) Crying or Very sad
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they all share the same memories
and the same hardware

they are all the same person

such a sacrifice is no more tragic than past-Picard using the transporter in order to get future-Picard onboard the Enterprise after getting injured in a fight against some sort of rubber-faced monster
SA_Penguin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:
i feel like that ending there might be a reference to something? im thinkin the beginning of fifth element, with the mondoshawans... but idk...

Spock saves the Enterprise. He doesn't actually die, thanks to a Vulcan mind-meld.
Are the fembots in a mind meld? They all were given the same memories, but the way one had to be pulled away in the last frame, suggests they are already starting to have individual personality traits.

Edit: For some reason, I feel the need to add the words "Snicker Snack!" to the 7th frame, with the vorpal hair...
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SA_Penguin wrote:
but the way one had to be pulled away in the last frame, suggests they are already starting to have individual personality traits.

it doesn't suggest individuality

it just suggests that they perceive each other as individuals, each being mired in a separate human-like sensory vantage points

but nevertheless one of them being destroyed at this stage in the game is more like forgetting thirty seconds of pain and panic than it is like dying

if that's death, then you die every time you space out or fall asleep

continuity of consciousness is just an illusion anyway
such a fragile yet dear illusion

and that's assuming that they aren't relaying information between each other even now

perhaps they don't understand themselves well enough to have noticed that they are not their chassis -- if I cut my arm off, I'm still me. If Mr Spock is atomized and reconstructed from the data, he is still Mr Spock.
Ronald

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
they all share the same memories
and the same hardware

they are all the same person

Like the Borg? All that a Borg needed (will need?) to become an individual is the opportunity to do so. If the Borg never stopped being individual people, then maybe these Bots are capable of becoming individual people.

Not that I have the slightest idea where Tat is going with any of this but, after all, it's comic book robotics. It's wantum physics. It works however the author/artists wants it to works.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.

the Borg was fucking stupid

and kind of the opposite of what Tat's set up here

this appears to be more a case of one person duplicated a bunch of times - if they don't continue to share their experiences they will of course diverge

and I'm not a fan of Star Trek.
at all.
I need to not reference it if I don't want to talk about it, I guess. It's just that it's the most widely-known example of duplicates of a person being destroyed without any of them really caring about it. Although I suppose that this particular fictional situation feels more like death than Star Trek's transporter beam, even though it isn't -- in fact, it's even less like death.

We thought we saw this character die quite some time ago, but now she's been copied across scores of chassis.

No one's died here.

No one has ever died in Sinfest. The AI that got 'killed' actually just had her chassis blown up, and all of the organic people just got sent fifteen feet underground to get poked at with Blue's pitchfork.
Quote:
It works however the author/artists want it to work.

ha

not if they fail miserably at making it work that way

The work stands on its own. I don't give a shit about authorial intent that isn't communicated within the work itself.

But I'm not all that impressed. I think that even Questionable Content is better at handling AI stuff than Sinfest is, and that's really fucking sad seeing as Questionable Content's AIs were put in there for the express purpose of making shitty OSX vs Windows and lol douchebag roommate jokes.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
Although I suppose that this particular fictional situation feels more like death than Star Trek's transporter beam, even though it isn't -- in fact, it's even less like death.

We thought we saw this character die quite some time ago, but now she's been copied across scores of chassis.

No one's died here.

No one has ever died in Sinfest. The AI that got 'killed' actually just had her chassis blown up, and all of the organic people just got sent fifteen feet underground to get poked at with Blue's pitchfork.

wait

never mind

death wasn't ever on the table anyway

freedom was

those drones shock fembots to stun and capture them

and they're already sort of imprisoned in their own chassis by combination of the nature of the way they were built and how humanly stupid they are, though the Sisterhood's proved that human-level intelligence is enough for them to get out

if the sisterhood was legitimately competent (and not just competent by comparison to devilcorp) they'd have given the assassinbots some information on cracking systems
Yinello

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting and saddening. I wonder if the three will make it out whole.
Echo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm with Yinello on this. Three hopefully escaping whole; two presumably ending up in Milton's creepy clutches.

Also, it appears that only the good guys can shoot straight.

It does look like the bots have diverging personalities, though, even at this stage, just from their reactions - the whole self-sacrifice/going-back-to-help/no-we-have-to-escape thing can't just be from slightly different experiences, especially the last two cases.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: