welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2014-07-07: The Getaway Man
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Istancow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:33 am    Post subject: 2014-07-07: The Getaway Man Reply with quote

YAY

BEET POTRY
Mr. Meddler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddly fitting with yesterday's comic.

Click here to see my artwork!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ronald

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Nique and Abby. Like Thelma and Louise, only it turns out better.

"C'mon, we'll leave this convoluted continuity behind and start our own strip! Action! Romance! Ninjas! Robots! 'Splosions! Ponies!"
Echo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much as I love 'Nique, especially with that thing she's now got going on with Abby, this is cutting away from the action to a narrator describing it. Like cutting away from a penalty shootout just so you can watch the Radio 5 Live crew describing the result.

Mind you, in some ways it allows the dramatic tension to continue as it's unclear whether those who "slip past the guard" etc. are the newly awakened weaponised fembots, or Tange/Li'l E/Pxsomethingsomething.

Still, it feels like it's only one step above an "And now: Percy complains about his food!" strip after the recent narrative continuity.
Yinello

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I'm surprised it took this long to cut away.
Jabberjay

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, that is some fairly decent beat poetry compared to what Monique usually does, before or after the Sisterhood arc. The whole "we want fun Nique" back thing always bothered me because she was never particularly good at poetry in the first place so I never assumed there was very much to miss.
Mr Zero

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Monique dishing out Love Song poetry, or is she passing out secret messages to the Sisterhood?
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nique's poetry has been used as a means of either foreshadowing future events, or as a means of getting the viewer up to speed if they haven't been keeping up, as of late. i don't really think she has any idea what's going on with the sisterhood, but she is somehow predicting things that are actually happening at the same time as her show...

because of this, i didn't really think that the poem itself had anything to do with abby until you guys mentioned it, and even then at first i was confused as to how such a conclusion could be made... but upon rereading the strip, i totally see it. and itd be really sweet if it really IS about abby.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Meddler wrote:
Oddly fitting with yesterday's comic.

Oddly?

Yeah, it's amazing.

What a coincidence.

It's almost like the same person wrote both.
OklahomanSun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously doubt there's an Abby reference. Tat is about as subtle as a hammer most days.

Since I'm already unpopular, can I just say that even though he only gets three panels for his poems, he could really do a better job.

This is what a real female slam poet can bring. Kate Tempest is quite simply amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYMtmQ_H570
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This just in, a cartoonist is not a slam poet.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
This just in, a cartoonist is not a slam poet.

This also just in: Monique supposedly is.

I've seen slam poems of 8 lines before. It can exist. This isn't it.
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you misunderstand monkey's point

just because monique - the fictional character - is supposed to be a great beat poet, doesnt mean tat - the writer - is necessarily going to be that great at writing slam poetry for her.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:
you misunderstand monkey's point

just because monique - the fictional character - is supposed to be a great beat poet, doesnt mean tat - the writer - is necessarily going to be that great at writing slam poetry for her.

And you sort of missed the entire concept of characters, then.

If you're going to write a role for a character, they have to be able to pull off that role.

Yes, Tat is not Monique. However, Tat writes Monique as a slam poet, and so should do a good job, or at least a decent job. This wasn't even an effort. This is Happy Gilmore level bad. "How about I just go eat some hay. I can make things out of clay, and lay by the bay. I just may. What do you say?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP1KHL0j0GU

If he tried, he could get it done a bit better. He's pulled off a couple decent ones.

This one is loads better than yesterday's.

Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, yes and no.

yes, its true there should be some effort when writing a character who is good at something that youre not. but you're obviously not going to be great at it all of the time. and i don't think there is no effort here. like, wtf, it might not be the most fantastic thing ever but that doesn't really mean he didn't try. we can't really prove whether he did or didn't.

the strip you are linking is from a totally different era. like, 14 years ago. a persons writing style, and their thoughts & opinions can change and evolve a LOT over the course of 14 years. so yeah, what he writes today is going to be different from what he wrote then. personally, i don't really care for the writing style of that strip and prefer the one from yesterdays. c'est la vie. people arent always going to feel the same way about certain things.

theres another thing to consider too: technically hes not even writing her as a beat poet anymore. he's writing her as just a singer now. so this isnt beat poetry, or slam poetry. its just her singing a song. so, ok, this might not be great beat poetry, but theyre pretty alright lyrics for a song. like, obviously not The Best Lyrics ever... but if you get someone talented to sing it, it'd sound alright.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: