welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2014-07-07: The Getaway Man
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jabberjay

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those lyrics actually sound pretty good to a country tune.

Try hearing the comic in country-style. You won't be able to unhear it.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tat also may have a different objective in this comic from that in the older one. as i recall, the older one was a one-off. it serves to illuminate monique's character, yes, but it is also a strong reaction to current events - and as a one-off, it could be freer.
the current one seems intended to comment on the action - although as has been pointed out, we can't be sure which action it is commenting on...
OklahomanSun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:
well, yes and no.

yes, its true there should be some effort when writing a character who is good at something that youre not. but you're obviously not going to be great at it all of the time. and i don't think there is no effort here. like, wtf, it might not be the most fantastic thing ever but that doesn't really mean he didn't try. we can't really prove whether he did or didn't.

the strip you are linking is from a totally different era. like, 14 years ago. a persons writing style, and their thoughts & opinions can change and evolve a LOT over the course of 14 years. so yeah, what he writes today is going to be different from what he wrote then. personally, i don't really care for the writing style of that strip and prefer the one from yesterdays. c'est la vie. people arent always going to feel the same way about certain things.

theres another thing to consider too: technically hes not even writing her as a beat poet anymore. he's writing her as just a singer now. so this isnt beat poetry, or slam poetry. its just her singing a song. so, ok, this might not be great beat poetry, but theyre pretty alright lyrics for a song. like, obviously not The Best Lyrics ever... but if you get someone talented to sing it, it'd sound alright.

I see nothing that tells me this is a song as opposed to a poetry slam.
Jabberjay

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly there is only one way to solve this.

VOCAROO SING/SLAM-OFF!

http://vocaroo.com/
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OklahomanSun wrote:

i am not really in the mood to go looking for them all but there are various strips (a sunday strip or two, plus one with minique freaking out because nique winked at her) that make it clear that music is playing to accompany her voice, so while, yeah, nothing in this strip really says "this is a song" (except for the fact they are Very Obviously Song Lyrics) those previous strips, along with the way her more recent work has been written, clearly implies that she's a singer now. so.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:
OklahomanSun wrote:

i am not really in the mood to go looking for them all but there are various strips (a sunday strip or two, plus one with minique freaking out because nique winked at her) that make it clear that music is playing to accompany her voice, so while, yeah, nothing in this strip really says "this is a song" (except for the fact they are Very Obviously Song Lyrics) those previous strips, along with the way her more recent work has been written, clearly implies that she's a singer now. so.

Considering the crossover between songs and poems, I don't think your snarky "Very Obviously Song Lyrics" thing is accurate or necessary.

Also slam poetry sessions frequently have music going to them.
Ronald

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: 2014-07-07: The Getaway Man Reply with quote

It's not a poetry slam, it's an open mic night. It's always been an open mic night.

http://sinfest.net/view.php?date=2000-12-16

I'm pretty sure there's a difference.
Jabberjay

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Sinfest strips keep reminding me of Bloom County in poses, movement style, and tone.
OklahomanSun

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 2014-07-07: The Getaway Man Reply with quote

Ronald wrote:
It's not a poetry slam, it's an open mic night. It's always been an open mic night.

http://sinfest.net/view.php?date=2000-12-16

I'm pretty sure there's a difference.

That's as may be.

It doesn't address this theory that Magenta has that she's singing, based on nothing more than the fact that apparently once there was a song instead of a poem.

I'm unsure how one incident of singing wipes out 14 years of poetry in terms of probability.
Ronald

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 2014-07-07: The Getaway Man Reply with quote

Since the question of whether or not 'Nique sings as well as recites has inexplicably become significant, I checked the archives and, although obvious keywords like song, music, and instruments yielded little or nothing of relevance, I did find this one:

http://sinfest.net/view.php?date=2004-04-28

There, see? Musical notes. Sometimes she sings. Smile

To be fair, the lack of musical notes in this most recent strip would seem to imply that she is not singing on this occasion. However, in this pair of strips, although 'Nique performs sans musical notes, Seymour nonetheless derides her performance as devil music.

http://sinfest.net/view.php?date=2004-11-10

http://sinfest.net/view.php?date=2004-11-11

Hardly conclusive, I admit. Still, it's something. Of course, you can say that about anything.

Besides, what are you, paying me for my services? Wink

In this strip, Seymour himself sings on stage, demonstrating, for whatever it's worth, that open mic nights aren't restricted to poetry.

http://sinfest.net/view.php?date=2003-05-05

I'm kind of fairly sure that 'Nique has demonstrably sung on stage on other occasions too but I at present lack time and inclination to conduct additional research. Maybe tomorrow. I once compiled all of the strips in which 'Nique recited and/or sang on stage (as of that moment in time) within a single thread but that was long ago and far away and I have no idea how to find it again. So it goes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: