welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

July 9: Release the Hounds
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Meddler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:07 am    Post subject: July 9: Release the Hounds Reply with quote

Click here to see my artwork!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SA_Penguin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Destruct?
But - how will Squig pay for his tacos?

Edit: OK, my mistake.
It's not the destruction of Devil HQ, it's the destruction of Weapon F.

Subject to the end of the story thread, of course

Last edited by SA_Penguin on Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:16 am; edited 1 time in total
EverythingsJake

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given all the security leaks, this is a bit like shutting the barn door after all the horses have fled. But of course she must do something.

It will be interesting to see if Milton will willingly hand over the self-destruct code. Destroying the first bot was caused him trauma -- but not so much that he didn't set the destruction sequence for PX, and went to fetch popcorn while it ran.
Yinello

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, if I were Blue I'd head out there myself.
Echo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but Milton's exactly the sort of self-centred little creep whose mind might be changed by having the weaponised fembots spare him. I mean, he'd never do it because not killing women is the right thing to do, but load him up with a sense of personal debt and there's a chance he might act differently.
Jabberjay

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
I dunno, if I were Blue I'd head out there myself.

She's guarding central control. Also, as leader it is her job to deliberate, not to put herself directly in harm's way. This isn't a 1300s battlefield, it's a spy-film style corporate security breach.

If I were Blue I would have walked over the entire premises as soon as I was given boss authority, noticed the panel in the back that is only ever used for Clio's hacking attempts, and then removed it. Probably removed the tunnel into the underground roadway too. I'd also consider posting guards, which should be easy considering that they have all those drones with attack capabilties. Right now Deviltech's security is almost entirely reactive, not pro-active. If Blue wants to keep her job after all of this the best she can do is write a report on Deviltech's massive security incompetence and suggest changes to keep such an event from happening again, since she seems to be the most generally competent Deviltech employee.
Ronald

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddly, my first thought was that she was going to remote-destruct Milton.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So wait -- is Milton a bot about to be destroyed remotely?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ronald

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to be a bot to be destroyed remotely, just a microchip implanted in your head or hand or some other where on your person. You know, The Mark of the Beast...
Echo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't even need to be an implant, apparently some suicide bomb vests are remote-detonated.

Mind you, I think it's a big stretch to think that the remote destruct codes are related to destroying Milton. This whole arc is about violence/threats/controlling behaviour directed at women.
Rothide

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Echo wrote:
Yeah, but Milton's exactly the sort of self-centred little creep whose mind might be changed by having the weaponised fembots spare him. I mean, he'd never do it because not killing women is the right thing to do, but load him up with a sense of personal debt and there's a chance he might act differently.

you do realize that blue now has a higher robot body count than milton now, right? and dont forget, these are robots, NOT women. admitedly these are robots that have been program to feel pain which is the most idiotic thing i have heard of in the longest time. (I mean actually feeling pain rather than being programed to act like it, jesus) and while i do admit this gives a lot of justification to past robot actions, they are still machines that can be rebuilt and/or copied into new bodies, if thats actually what sisterhood did.

i guress the main point im asking is why arent you calling blue a horrid little harpy for killing off the robots too.
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

because although blue does terrible things, she has character depth and a well-established presence within the comic, she has a background and we understand her as a character, she has shown a softer side upon occasion and we know she is capable of change, we know she understands her actions very well, she understands the feelings of those around her and sees things the way they are for the most part, and in terms of characterization her personality is more obviously "fictionally villainous" than "someone we could actually meet irl"

meanwhile milton has no such depth, presence, background, he has shown nothing that implies that he is capable of change, and he is ridiculously ignorant and sees things the way he wants to see them. so while they're both terrible people, blue is a more entertaining character due to the presence she's had in the strip for years and the interactions she's had. she's snarky and has Obviously Fictional character traits. meanwhile milton has pretty much the same personality as a lot of guys you can meet irl. and thats not a very comforting thought.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:
because although blue does terrible things, she has character depth and a well-established presence within the comic, she has a background and we understand her as a character, she has shown a softer side upon occasion and we know she is capable of change, we know she understands her actions very well, she understands the feelings of those around her and sees things the way they are for the most part, and in terms of characterization her personality is more obviously "fictionally villainous" than "someone we could actually meet irl"

meanwhile milton has no such depth, presence, background, he has shown nothing that implies that he is capable of change, and he is ridiculously ignorant and sees things the way he wants to see them. so while they're both terrible people, blue is a more entertaining character due to the presence she's had in the strip for years and the interactions she's had. she's snarky and has Obviously Fictional character traits. meanwhile milton has pretty much the same personality as a lot of guys you can meet irl. and thats not a very comforting thought.

so because she has a history and more character info your willing to brush what she did aside, yet milton is still "more evil" even though he did the exact same thing?
Jabberjay

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually related to John Milton through his brother. Milton himself has no currently-living direct descendants. I'm not 100% sure if Milton's name is supposed to be a reference to John Milton or not. They don't seem to have very much in common.

Also, has anyone ever even TRIED to get through to Milton before strapping him to a table and nearly killing him? Maybe the whole reason he's never learned anything is because nobody has bothered trying to teach him. He has no motive to stop what he is doing until he almost dies as a result, which itself is a fairly base reason to have a moral epiphany, if he has one. Blue has EVERY reason to stop what she is doing. That she decides not to and pepetrates evil regardless makes her far worse than off-in-his-own-little-world Milton.

Admit it, you just like her more because she's made to seem more amiable, not because of any actual moral superiority to her character. It's fine to like bad guys more than good guys sometimes, just cop to it and don't try to hide it behind excuses. Do I really need to excuse that I find Cruella DeVille a much more interesting and certainly more entertaining character than 90% of Disney's typically bland heroes and heroines? Certainly not, and you don't need an excuse to like Blue better than Milton, certainly not of the moral cop-out variety.
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rothide wrote:
so because she has a history and more character info your willing to brush what she did aside, yet milton is still "more evil" even though he did the exact same thing?

i never said that milton is more evil, nor did i say that i chose to brush what blue does aside.

what i said though, is that there are completely understandable reasons to enjoy blue as a character while not enjoying milton nearly as much.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: