welcome to the fest
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

July 9: Release the Hounds
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Heretical Rants



Joined: 21 Jul 2009
Posts: 5344
Location: No.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
Also, I have to ask - do you share your mother's view? Do you think people who are raped have been ordained to receive this as part of some divine plan?

https://www.youtube.com/v/z-h_jNiSczw
_________________
butts
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rothide



Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 852

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
Also, I have to ask - do you share your mother's view? Do you think people who are raped have been ordained to receive this as part of some divine plan?


I really can't answer that, I believe things that happen to me and my family are a part of Gods will. I can't say that for others. All I know is that people who do rape for fun are evil, truly evil. Basic moralities exist in all people and one of those is I believe that people aren't objects to be used in any way they see fit at any time, people can be abused into believing that this is a good thing, but then its PTSD and trauma causing that. The people that do these things that didn't have any of this, had a good life and just do it "for fun" those people are evil.

The problem is when Paranoia hits people, I mean there is a person spreading the idea that the only reason men aren't raping all the time is because we finally got videogames, and that's to explain why rape rates are dropping. There is a comic out there that talks about how "we are all a clean slate" but then goes on to say "you weren't taught not to rape" how can everyone be clean, but still be innately a rapist?

That's why I got upset about the Elf scene. We know Buddy, we have his history, we know his back story, this man would never rape cause he still has his innocence from being raised as an Elf. There is no reason to be fearful cause there isn't any reason to be. To me being frightened of that scene seems to imply that you think Buddy could rape, because that's what happens when a guy, even a socially awkward guy, is alone with any woman.
_________________
The Angry Asshat.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rothide



Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 852

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
stripeypants wrote:
Also, I have to ask - do you share your mother's view? Do you think people who are raped have been ordained to receive this as part of some divine plan?

https://www.youtube.com/v/z-h_jNiSczw


You know I read the lyrics, thats fine by me. You know what happens if athiests are right, nothing... I mean absolute nothing. This person will live, make money off these songs and her speeches, die, and be ultimately forgotten when everything finally ends.

This is the one reason I never understood athiesm, the whole system is that ultimately life is basically pointless. You can trick yourself into believing that your life will have purpose, but it wont ultimately in the end. The person that finally cures cancer, Albert Einstein, Buddah, Christ, all of them if atheism is true are ultimately pointless. Maybe not today, maybe not thousands of years from now, but someday, life will ultimately end and no one will be there to remember anything that you did.

So go ahead, continue to say that no religion is true at all, and that you are intelligent enough to understand this. Enjoy life to the fullest cause when your dead and everyone that remembered you are dead, you don't exist anymore.
_________________
The Angry Asshat.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Heretical Rants



Joined: 21 Jul 2009
Posts: 5344
Location: No.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The universe is the way it is no matter how you feel about it. It doesn't care about your concept of "meaning". Your feelings can only influence reality through your actions.

And your total sum of experiences are finite, you get angry about a finite amount of distrust towards fictional elves, yet you say that things are pointless unless they are infinite?
_________________
butts
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rothide



Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 852

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
The universe is the way it is no matter how you feel about it. It doesn't care about your concept of "meaning". Your feelings can only influence reality through your actions.

And your total sum of experiences are finite, you get angry about a finite amount of distrust towards fictional elves, yet you say that things are pointless unless they are infinite?


Really, yeah, so what you had a finite ammount of times, what use is a candle when the flame burns out, you can say "but it can light other candles", but what happens whent the final candle burns out, and nothing left to burn. It doesn't matter if I get Irate at you, or you get irate at me, in a couple million years, the earth resets and a new big bang happens, nothing that comes about from us would have any lasting effect on them.

Even in your statement, meanings or feelings wont matter either. So who cares if your remembered as Jack the Ripper or Mother Terresa. Ultimately nothing you do will affect anyone in the end. So what you killed people or made them last longer, the people you affected die and then nothing affects them anymore. Both of them die, both don't get anything for what they did in their life besides whatever we have that gives us experiences stops too.
_________________
The Angry Asshat.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Heretical Rants



Joined: 21 Jul 2009
Posts: 5344
Location: No.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, mostly only people who think that they have an infinite existence make that kind of argument. Everyone else lets their nihilism cannibalize itself.

I don't think you really feel the way that you say you do, if you actually think about it. Start from the premise that your life is finite. Segment off a piece of your mind that really believes that, let it think things through, then see if your argument is convincing even to yourself. Do you really want to live in a world where people treat the here and now as though it is in no way meaningful? No. No you don't.
_________________
butts
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rothide



Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 852

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
Okay, mostly only people who think that they have an infinite existence make that kind of argument. Everyone else lets their nihilism cannibalize itself.

I don't think you really feel the way that you say you do, if you actually think about it. Start from the premise that your life is finite. Treat it as a hypothetical. Then see if your argument is convincing even to yourself. Do you really want to live in a world where people treat the here and now as though it is in no way meaningful? No. No you don't.


No they can lie to themselves and say "what I do this day will affect everyone in the world" or "what I do today will affect the rest of my life" and they are right, but the minute their brain waves stop, it actually didn't, it just changed what happened in the finite now. I die in a car crash tommorow, I die on my deathbed 70 years from now. didn't matter what I did till this point, just the decision to drive tomorrow caused my life to end a bit quicker. I kill someone, I go to prision, I spend a finite amount of time in prision till I die from being murdered or die from old age. I come up with the cure for cancer, Im celebrated remembered for all time till the resources run out and people go to other planets to colonize, then soon all resources run out/no other habital planets in our lifespan/ suns finally explode. That memory is gone, and so am I.

As stated you can fool yourself into thinking what you do now actually matters, but it only matters to yourself and anyone you affected, and after you end and they end, it doesn't. Lets say a cure for cancer never comes about, will that cause life to end quicker, maybe yeah, but it could also have no affect either.
_________________
The Angry Asshat.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Heretical Rants



Joined: 21 Jul 2009
Posts: 5344
Location: No.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deftly ignoring half of what I had to say, I see.

I'm not convinced that you actually ran the mental simulation that I asked you to in earnest, but let's assume that you did for the sake of the following:

1) at least acknowledge that this has no effect on whether or not you actually have an infinite existence by default

2) inspect your definition of "actually matters" and see if it really lines up with your values
_________________
butts
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rothide



Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 852

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
Deftly ignoring half of what I had to say, I see.

I'm not convinced that you actually ran the mental simulation that I asked you to in earnest, but let's assume that you did for the sake of the following:

1) at least acknowledge that this has no effect on whether or not you actually have an infinite existence by default

2) inspect your definition of "actually matters"


May I ask what you believe matters? Whats your definition of it?
_________________
The Angry Asshat.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Heretical Rants



Joined: 21 Jul 2009
Posts: 5344
Location: No.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the truth matters, because without it we cannot build accurate models of the world

without accurate models, we cannot address the problems that face us and we can't steer the future in a desirable direction


as for what that direction is, I want what I want. Tautology because I don't like you well enough to tell you what that is, though some of my other posts might give you a hint, and I'm not going to hide the fact that the wellbeing of other sentient beings factors into my utility function.

I don't want to cling to your brand of false hope. That has negative expected utility.
_________________
butts
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rothide



Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 852

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
the truth matters, because without it we cannot build accurate models of the world

without accurate models, we cannot address the problems that face us and we can't steer the future in a desirable direction

as for what that direction is, I want what I want. Tautology because I don't like you well enough to tell you what that is. Some of my other posts might give you a hint, and the wellbeing of other sentient beings definitely factors into my utility function.


Who cares about the truth? Ultimately it will be completely lost and maybe never found again. So we found the truth, the truth will not suddenly last forever, cause when no one is around to remember the truth, the truth is lost to time again.

I can understand gaining the truth to make sure that life continues for as long as possible, that's the only thing you can work toward, but life is and will be ultimately finite.

If you think that because I believe in God I don't believe in Science, Green Technology, or Medical Research, I do. Yes there is branches of medical research that I feel should be taboo. Mostly when it causes destruction of life.

And I want what I want to, I want to love my God and spread his word so others can share in the glory of what I believe and want to come after.
_________________
The Angry Asshat.


Last edited by Rothide on Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Heretical Rants



Joined: 21 Jul 2009
Posts: 5344
Location: No.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want to believe whether or not it is true. That is why I categorize you as "useless".
_________________
butts
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rothide



Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 852

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
You want to believe whether or not it is true. That is why I categorize you as "useless".


I believe I have already arrived AT the Truth that I need. Any truths that come after fall in line with what I already believe in. I believe God made science, so any scientific advancements we learn, I believe God put into place.

So what if the Truth was there naturally or the Truth was created by God, either way discoveries are made, you say "we come closer to total Truth!" I say, "Thank you God for allowing us to find this Truth"

Also does that mean that everything and everyone should be truthful?
_________________
The Angry Asshat.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SA_Penguin



Joined: 13 Feb 2011
Posts: 227
Location: Adelaide

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
There are way too many 'romantic' films to count where a woman character sensibly says, "Nope. Nuh-uh. You're a creep," and then over time she drops sensible, safe behaviors while getting more involved with the creep. For example, going to places alone with them at night, letting them blindfold her then take her off to wherever. And this wearing down also happens while the guy tells her to lighten up and learn to live. So basically, "Stop worrying about my creepy behavior."

So, you choose to ignore Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice". [Or the modern version, Bridget Jones Diary]
Where the woman comes to realise as harsh initial judgement, a prejudice, has prevented them from seeing the "whole" person.

Sure, some people support a different football team or political view, or even have different sexual orientation. It is possible to get to know them, and like them, in spite of that.

Over the course of the Sinfest comic, we have had the opportunity to learn about [and even come to like] Blue. The same cannot be said for Milton.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Heretical Rants



Joined: 21 Jul 2009
Posts: 5344
Location: No.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've lost interest in Rothide
not that I had much to begin with
Have another song!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zphUlV7e6Xk


These rational delusions have got to cease
The second hand has finally got the best of me
I'm too aware about the singularity
That brought me to the edge of time
And it's always on my mind now

They say what has passed is coming back some day
The world is turning faster but it's just one way
And I'm desperate to try most anything to abate

A simple Chronophobia
A simple Chronophobia now
x2

Maybe there's a science or technology
To help me come to terms with my maker
Since natural selection never banked on me
I must be an exception to the plan

Someone help me understand now
Cryogenic methods are intractable
And collagen polymers aren't so terrible
But they still can't prevent the inevitable farewell

_________________
butts
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group