welcome to the fest
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

July 9: Release the Hounds
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Ennis



Joined: 09 Jun 2013
Posts: 857
Location: Australia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This last page went wildly off from where the argument begun, but just in case anyone still cared about it I wanted to say, seriously Rothide, it's not "sexism" that people prefer Blue over Milton. I believe it is called the "Umbridge effect" after the fact that despite Voldemort being almost literally the incarnation of evil, the most hated person in the entire series was a bureaucrat turned teacher most renowned for passing ridiculous rules on behalf of the corrupt Ministry of Magic. Who was basically an old cat lady. Voldemort was an etheral kind of evil, kind of like Dman. You're not going to encounter a guy chopping off his minion's hand and returning from the dead because he split his soul into seven pieces, or a guy who sends out pyramid spybots that can talk and goes to a literal "one percent club" meeting in real life. Sure, you can argue that they're analogies, but they're taken so far that we don't really categorise them as "stuff that we personally encounter".

Umbridge and Milton, however, represent a fair more everyday, mundane kind of evil. Umbridge represented bureaucracy gone mad, she abused her power in a way that was much more immediate, like a boss or teacher that you hate. Milton represents creepy guys with no sense of boundaries, which are probably even more ever-present than the Umbridge kind, simply because they don't even need any real power. They are the kinds of people who you have either already met or possibly will meet. It is not about mere body counts, it's about characters. Voldemort killed a ridiculous amount of people, even the main character's parents, and yet because he's a more fantastical kind of villain and has an interesting story we don't really hate him, we just want Harry to win. Milton and Umbridge have no sympathetic backstory, although even if they did, it would still be no guarantee of people not hating them. Would you suddenly like the boss that set up arbitrary rules and severely punished you for not following them if you found out their partner was leaving them? Or they had a rough childhood? Maybe you'd understand them a bit better, but if they're still making your life a misery, I doubt you're going to suddenly think they're a fine person.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jabberjay



Joined: 31 Jul 2012
Posts: 259

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last terrible boss I had died of cancer. She left behind a 12 year old son.

Not even sure how I feel about that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mouse



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 17392
Location: under the bed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rothide wrote:

Who cares about the truth? Ultimately it will be completely lost and maybe never found again. So we found the truth, the truth will not suddenly last forever, cause when no one is around to remember the truth, the truth is lost to time again.

I can understand gaining the truth to make sure that life continues for as long as possible, that's the only thing you can work toward, but life is and will be ultimately finite.


TWO POSTS LATER,Rothide wrote:
I believe I have already arrived AT the Truth that I need. Any truths that come after fall in line with what I already believe in. I believe God made science, so any scientific advancements we learn, I believe God put into place.

So what if the Truth was there naturally or the Truth was created by God, either way discoveries are made, you say "we come closer to total Truth!" I say, "Thank you God for allowing us to find this Truth"


so...the truth is pointless because life is finite but the truth is valuable because it comes from god? and is your life not suddenly finite because you believe in god? yes, yes, i know, the afterlife and all that - but your life here, on this planet, where you can actually do things that affect other people - that's still finite. you can spend that life doing things that build a better world, that improve things for people in general and the people you care most about in particular....or you can sit around saying "this is all pointless, i'm just waiting to die to be with god"...when you will do....what? you really think jesus spent all that time healing the sick and insisting that people help the poor because life is pointless? if life is pointless, why did god bother to create it?
_________________
aka: neverscared!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ShadowCell



Joined: 03 Aug 2008
Posts: 6107
Location: California

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fun little aside: rothide has found a religious argument for undermining the anti-abortion crowd's "pro-life" argument?

eeeeeelllll oooooooooo eeeeeeeellllllllll
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ronald



Joined: 17 Sep 2007
Posts: 3319

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
Rothide wrote:

Who cares about the truth? Ultimately it will be completely lost and maybe never found again. So we found the truth, the truth will not suddenly last forever, cause when no one is around to remember the truth, the truth is lost to time again.

I can understand gaining the truth to make sure that life continues for as long as possible, that's the only thing you can work toward, but life is and will be ultimately finite.


TWO POSTS LATER,Rothide wrote:
I believe I have already arrived AT the Truth that I need. Any truths that come after fall in line with what I already believe in. I believe God made science, so any scientific advancements we learn, I believe God put into place.

So what if the Truth was there naturally or the Truth was created by God, either way discoveries are made, you say "we come closer to total Truth!" I say, "Thank you God for allowing us to find this Truth"


so...the truth is pointless because life is finite but the truth is valuable because it comes from god? and is your life not suddenly finite because you believe in god? yes, yes, i know, the afterlife and all that - but your life here, on this planet, where you can actually do things that affect other people - that's still finite. you can spend that life doing things that build a better world, that improve things for people in general and the people you care most about in particular....or you can sit around saying "this is all pointless, i'm just waiting to die to be with god"...when you will do....what? you really think jesus spent all that time healing the sick and insisting that people help the poor because life is pointless? if life is pointless, why did god bother to create it?



http://sinfest.net/view.php?date=2000-03-03
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MerchManDan



Joined: 20 Nov 2007
Posts: 2032
Location: Somewhere else.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As if we needed any more confirmation that Big G is kind of a douche.
_________________
mouse wrote:
almost a shame to waste dennis' talent on him.
except it's always a pleasure to see a good dennis insult.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Ronald



Joined: 17 Sep 2007
Posts: 3319

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upon re-re-re-re-re-reading what 'Nique is actually saying to God in that strip:

"Abusive parents, mad psycho killers, warmongers, and sadists"? Geez, that's a little graphic, isn't it? I mean, yes, tragically accurate, but it seems to come out of nowhere, especially immediately following "Ninja Theater." Oh well.

And just prior to that, we had an example of Slick's original notion of how to flirt with total strangers.


http://sinfest.net/view.php?date=2000-02-20
(the very first Anonymous Sinfest Woman(c), ladies and gentlemen)

Good thing Xanthe and company never saw him in his Pepe Le Pew phase there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group