welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2014-07-14: Devil Tech Headquarters 41 - Call Me Maybe
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EverythingsJake

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OklahomanSun wrote:
No, I actually was telling him he was wrong about making that decision for himself. Yes, that's right. I'm saying that he's making the wrong decision about something that some people would perceive as his own choice, and they would be right. It is his choice. It's just wrong.

I can certainly see why you get into so many fights. Not everyone in the world is like you, nor will they all think like you. Someday, when -- if -- you reach acceptance of that, you'll be astonished at how your life will change.

OklahomanSun wrote:
Also, a well ordered mind? What's that even mean in this context? I think what you're saying is a mine uncluttered by experiences outside your comfort zone.

Not what I mean at all. What I do mean -- I'll leave you to discover that for yourself in your own time, in your own way, when you're ready for it. When the student is ready, the teacher will come.
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at the end of the day, oksun, youre telling someone that theyre wrong for deciding that they do not have any desire or any need to do any kind of drugs. thats fucked up, ok, i dont care what your justification is

its fucked up. if someone is like "i have no desire to use this substance" your response is not supposed to be "YOURE WRONG" what the fck man its not something you can really be wrong or right about

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverythingsJake wrote:
OklahomanSun wrote:
No, I actually was telling him he was wrong about making that decision for himself. Yes, that's right. I'm saying that he's making the wrong decision about something that some people would perceive as his own choice, and they would be right. It is his choice. It's just wrong.

I can certainly see why you get into so many fights. Not everyone in the world is like you, nor will they all think like you. Someday, when -- if -- you reach acceptance of that, you'll be astonished at how your life will change.

OklahomanSun wrote:
Also, a well ordered mind? What's that even mean in this context? I think what you're saying is a mine uncluttered by experiences outside your comfort zone.

Not what I mean at all. What I do mean -- I'll leave you to discover that for yourself in your own time, in your own way, when you're ready for it. When the student is ready, the teacher will come.

What are you on about?

What I said wasn't anything to do with people being like me or unlike me. I'm a lawyer. I deal with things in a certain way, and when something is wrong, it's wrong. The example I gave of my friend and his argument over the NSA violations, that's not a matter of me needing to accept people that aren't like me, it's a matter of a person being completely wrong about legal issues and making his decisions from an emotional standpoint as opposed to a factual standpoint. There will never be a time when I "come around" to an acceptance of people who go willfully ignorant of facts.

And if anyone wanted to know what "triggers" my anger, you can point to this as maybe one of the real ones. I don't need some chickenass hippy bullshit philosophy that tries to embrace the whole of humanity and see everyone's viewpoint.

I deal all day in viewpoints, and after years of it, it gets pretty clear that there are people who are just flat out wrong. Some people are wrong. Some cultures are less valuable than others. Human life is cheap, in fact, it's dirt cheap in some places.

Your sanctimonious and patronising tone is neither wanted nor warranted. I've put more than 10 years of my life into education and another 8 into the law. You come around to my office and look at the files I have and start pointing out people that aren't like me that I should start accepting.

I'm not about to be patronised by some internet kid with an undergrad class in philosophy. Nice troll though. Your clearly intended patronising tone did make me angry. It's my sincere hope that someday, hopefully soon, someone you care about deeply gets cancer and dies slowly. If it happens, try to remember this, and that if I knew, I'd be laughing about it.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Sun, do you know what a trigger is?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OklahomanSun wrote:

I'm not about to be patronised by some internet kid with an undergrad class in philosophy. Nice troll though. Your clearly intended patronising tone did make me angry. It's my sincere hope that someday, hopefully soon, someone you care about deeply gets cancer and dies slowly. If it happens, try to remember this, and that if I knew, I'd be laughing about it.

Hahahahahahah! Oh, dear me! Is that what you think? My goodness, you DO leap to wild assumptions on a regular basis.

You have NO idea who I am. None. Whatsoever.

I might BE that person dying slowly of cancer in a hospice, and this is my only form of amusement since my only child, a narcissistic daughter, refuses to visit because it's "too gross."

I might be an Iowa farm kid, bored to tears every day in the cab of a John Deere tractor, longing for an education and plotting how I'm going to get off this damned farm and out of the clutches of a controlling, uber-religious family.

I might be a middle-aged academic, growing weary of senseless departmental politics, shopping my resume around while flying my nerd flag in private.

I might be three old women in a care home who think creating online personalities and taking a poke at uptight twits is a ton of fun, and are cackling uproariously at you right now.

I might be a well-known novelist who enjoys dropping characters, or facets of characters, onto discussion boards to play around with them.

I might be a rich, childless eccentric nearing the end of my life, looking for some random yet worthy person to leave a fortune to, and you just eliminated yourself.

I might be a sentient chimpanzee trapped in a lab, who stole a laptop and is plotting the simian revolution.

I might be the NSA keeping an eye on you.

I might be one of those. I might be none of those. It's the internet. You just never know.
Samsally

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh my god i hope you're 3 old ladies cackling gleefully that one's my favorite option.
Jabberjay

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only one of those options is even plausible, even if it is self-aggrandizing.

Also the NSA is watching you. They think you're boring, but that's a good thing. It means you're not a terrorist or a pedophile.
EverythingsJake

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think only one of those is plausible, you don't know the world well yet, kiddo.

All right, maybe the chimpanzee was a little exaggeration.

Maybe.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I deal with things in a certain way, and when something is wrong, it's wrong.

Yes, people are often wrong, but certainty is the gravest of sins, alongside counting a single piece of evidence more than once. All models of the world are probabilistic, and questions involving human psychology (and most other questions) aren't defined in highly descriptive and-accurate-to-itself-regardless-of-how-well-founded-it-is legal jargon nor in the especially high-probability language of well-established physics (yet).

I assign a high probability that LSD would be a new experience, sure, even if only due to the lack of control or the duration or whatever, though I think that you underestimate my own capacity to disorient myself.

I assign a probability very close to 1 that it would be highly inconvenient and use up a large chunk of time that I could instead use to expand myself in other ways, especially if I were to go to all the effort of seeking it out. I don't have direct connections, brah.

I assign a probability of about 0.3 that it would be unpleasant overall, but I don't have much information to calibrate this.

I assign a low probability to the idea that I would actually learn anything interesting from it, or be able to use it to flush out any small-minded ideas I might have accepted without proper questioning, or anything of that nature. The only arguments you've presented either appeal to traditions that I have no reason to hold in any regard or to the fact that many people feel like it offered them an important new perspective, regardless of how little I think of the specifics when those are actually described in the accounts. I also note that other people don't feel like it offered them an important perspective. Still, that pushes the probability up. Just not by very much.
Istancow

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverythingsJake wrote:
All right, maybe the chimpanzee was a little exaggeration.

But how else do we explain McDermott?
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't be ridiculous

chimps are great apes, like humans
they aren't monkeys
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
don't be ridiculous

chimps are great apes, like humans
they aren't monkeys

Yeah, check your ape-privilege

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OklahomanSun, yes, OklahomanSun, the guy who bloviates about his degrees and then fails to identify basic logical fallacies while shoving his face as far up his own ass as possible, wrote:
I'm not about to be patronised by some internet kid with an undergrad class in philosophy.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

holy shit i need a cigarette now
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OklahomanSun wrote:
It's my sincere hope that someday, hopefully soon, someone you care about deeply gets cancer and dies slowly. If it happens, try to remember this, and that if I knew, I'd be laughing about it.

now this - this is a great example of someone who is just flat-out wrong. wrong-thinking, wrong-behaving - just wrong.

....seems like there was someone in this thread who was always ready to get on someone's case, like forever, if they were wrong....who was it now?
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WELL I HOPE YOU GET INTERNET CANCER SO NYEH
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: