welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

July 29, 2014: Girlfriends
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EverythingsJake

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:55 am    Post subject: July 29, 2014: Girlfriends Reply with quote

"Blue is in some kind of war," she said a while back, but hey, what's a little war anyway? Blue can deal with that.

And I just noticed her tail is wagging in the last frame. Can't say I've seen a demon wag her tail before.
Jabberjay

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ktern

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can't
Night Spade

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As The Tick often exclaims, "SPOOOOOOOOOOON"
MerchManDan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: July 29, 2014: Girlfriends Reply with quote

...anyone else thirsty? I'm thirsty.

EverythingsJake wrote:
And I just noticed her tail is wagging in the last frame. Can't say I've seen a demon wag her tail before.

Abby is very expressive with that tail, seemingly more so than other tailed devil-folks. It's a good portion of her charm.
Ronald

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: July 29, 2014: Girlfriends Reply with quote

And yet she's addressed at least two other characters by that title:

http://sinfest.net/view.php?date=2009-08-21

http://sinfest.net/view.php?date=2010-07-09

http://sinfest.net/view.php?date=2010-11-18

Shrug.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She was saying it as part of a 'sassy' persona.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notice that, where Monique might easily have said "Nah, I'm straight" -- you know, not making a big deal about it or anything, just establishing it -- she simply says "Nah"...
Ronald

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: July 29, 2014: Girlfriends Reply with quote

EverythingsJake wrote:

http://sinfest.net/view.php?date=2011-09-16

SHOOOOZ!
Yinello

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang, Abby is sure throwing all the strong hints.
Echo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

I am loving this. Particularly Abby's "Yay <3" while her tail is practically dancing with happiness.
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ the "other characters being referred to as girlfriend"

its totally possible that nique wanted to be besties, like "girlfriends" besties, with libby and blue but neither of them were really reciprocating that feel. sure, they got along with her just fine, but were never really particularly close to her

idk... but yeah i love the fact that nique never really denies having a gf on the basis of "being straight" ... yah...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to be the downer but I am pretty sure Tat is just trolling you guys for squees right now.
Echo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so, one other thing that's worth noting:

Tat skipped over the kiss.

I mean, there's very little scope to argue that there *wasn't* a kiss after yesterday's ending panel. Miss Magenta even offered her own interpretation of it, with not even the forum oddballs popping up to try and argue it was unrealistic. You just don't end up in a situation like that with someone and *not* have it end in a kiss unless you're a *complete* idiot.

<Echo looks slightly sheepish at this point>

But Tat skipped over it. Didn't draw it. Skipped ahead to some dialogue where they're lying on the bed together, a discreet distance apart, with the dialogue confirming that they're definitely officially romantic girlfriends now. Which I like, because they're just the sweetest and most adorable couple together.

This is a *huge* step forward from the previous Sinfest portrayal of lesbian romance/relationships as a spectator sport. But... is limiting Abby and 'Nique to doing nothing more than holding hands, going too far the other way?

I have to say, I'm comfortable with this aspect of Sinfest the way it is at the moment. But, briefly equating things to the real world, I'd also like to be able to kiss someone in public without it turning, or it *being* turned, into some big display event. So the nothing-more-than-holding-hands thing in Sinfest does feel a bit... limited.

Maybe Tat's already made his point on the issue here, where Squig is unambiguously in the wrong for treating Abby and 'Nique's budding relationship as a performance for his benefit. But I like to think there's scope for two women being able to kiss without it being treated as an erotic performance.

Anyway, back to normal service. Abby! 'Nique! Girlfriends! Squeeeeeeeeee!
Ronald

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and here's another one:

http://sinfest.net/view.php?date=2012-06-01

In the strip after that one, Liberty proceeded to kind of pour her heart out to Monique, so they've got that level of friendship, anyway.

Too bad there was never a contains-dialogue follow-up to this strip:

http://sinfest.net/view.php?date=2013-07-28
(I almost got intrigued by the notion that "Mercy" was waving at Liberty but then realized that, of course, she was waving to Li'l Sis, who was waving at her.)

It at least set up that Liberty and Fuchsia now know each other. If they started hanging out together, well, Sam might find himself receiving a much different sort of torch than Liberty's...

===

On a separate note, one of the things I like about this Sunday strip

http://sinfest.net/view.php?date=2010-11-21

is the implication that Monique isn't simply out for a walk and has reached the point where she would ordinarily pass the booth anyway, she's specifically come to the booth to spend time with Blue. Admittedly, the strip doesn't make that crystal clear, but that's how I initially interpreted it, anyway.

As another example of my futile hope to learn more character names:

Maybe on another occasion Abby will take Monique to meet her pals/ex-fellow dancers (strange to remember that Abby is a former exotic dancer; she doesn't seem like what popular culture has "taught" us is the "type") at the devil club and we can learn their names. We already know Sapphire's, but not any of the others.

Maybe then Abby will mention what happened to her fellow recruit "Burgundy." But probably not.

As an earlier strip that I posted makes clear, Monique is at least aware of Tange's existence, so there's another potential pal. Hopefully Monique is attentive enough to have noticed that Tange now lives, mm, I dunno, right down the street from her? across the street from her? but perhaps not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: