welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

July 29, 2014: Girlfriends
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Echo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As an earlier strip that I posted makes clear, Monique is at least aware of Tange's existence, so there's another potential pal.

'Nique and Tange are friends. And Tange is presumably still wearing 'Nique's shoes.
Ennis

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not ashamed to say I shouted "YES!" very loudly upon reading this strip. And since it's ambiguous, I'm choosing to read it as they're romantic girlfriends. They're together. It's canon. Now commence cute cuddling.
EverythingsJake

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: July 29, 2014: Girlfriends Reply with quote

Ronald wrote:
And yet she's addressed at least two other characters by that title:.

There's a difference between a young woman calling a woman friend "girlfriend" and saying, "You are my girlfriend." The "heeey, girlfriend" is between friends, casual acquaintances, or simply one woman addressing another. The second carries romantic implications.
Jabberjay

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Echo *may* be jumping the gun a bit. If I had to bet on it I'd say they made out, sure, but not showing it and not using concrete languages means things aren't 100% confirmed beyond any shadow of a doubt yet. Don't bet on a ship making the journey when it hasn't even left the harbour.

On an unrelated note I find it kind of weird that 'Nique had no real female platonic friends before, but that's from the perspective of a realistic human being who was born, raised, ect. 'Nique is a drawn comic character in a comic world so her "birth" might be the first strip she was ever in. If that's the case then her statement about not having platonic friends makes sense since she was originally created for a one-off joke where the punchline was essentially "dat ass."
EverythingsJake

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OklahomanSun wrote:
I hate to be the downer but I am pretty sure Tat is just trolling you guys for squees right now.

That's a little dismissive of a potentially romantic subplot, don't you think?
Toa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Echo wrote:
Tat skipped over the kiss.

I mean, there's very little scope to argue that there *wasn't* a kiss after yesterday's ending panel.

I feel there's a *lot* of room to argue that there was no kiss. I at least never expected them to kiss there. Apart from the fact that people can come close to each other's face without kissing even if there is romantic tension between them, I really doubt Tat would skip over showing their first actual kiss.
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dunno, hes kinda skipped over fyoosh and crim kissing, even though we Know she's kissed him a few times... so i wouldn't really put it past him... theres also that one calligraphy strip that implies they kissed, but never really shows us or otherwise states that it happened. so, if the romantic relationship tat spent years developing and focusing on didn't get an on-screen kiss, why should we assume that a newly developed relationship like these two would get an on-screen kiss?

the only two pairings between main or recurring characters that have kissed on-screen are sam and lib, as well as francis and his bf. both of which were pre-established relationships. we never really had the chance to see their relationships develop because They Were Already Together by the time they were introduced into the comic as characters.

not including blue and fyoosh, of course, because while they were also a pre-established relationship a) they never really seemed to kiss each other on the lips as far as i remember and b) the romantic and sexual aspects of their relationship were played up as a joke and were mostly for show to tempt mortal men.

dunno if that really affects anything, but, yeah. while im pretty sure they didnt kiss, and im pretty sure nique means that abby is her platonic gf ... (although i'd really like it if i were wrong) ... but like... lots of things happen off-screen. characters meet and introduce themselves off-screen, buy things off-screen... ect... ect... tat's getting better about this, sure, but he hasn't totally broken the habit yet. given that nothing about this strip makes it explicitly clear that they didn't kiss, and plenty of things happen off-screen, and enough MUST have happened off-screen for them to go from casually sitting on the edge of the bed to lying on it like they are now... there ain't really nothin' to stop someone from hoping or thinking that they kissed.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OklahomanSun wrote:
I hate to be the downer but I am pretty sure Tat is just trolling you guys for squees right now.
Then he's won.

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!
Hekateras

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He could be trolling, but the odds aren't for it. Queerbaiting is for large money-grubbing companies who're too heteronormative and afraid to include a canon queer couple in their work but still want the queer demographic's money so they toss them the occasional bone every now and then. (*cough*Supernatural*cough*)

I'd say Tat has more than proven he has the courage to go the next step and include a canon queer couple. And also it's really adorable and I ship it and Minty definitely sounds like she's scouting the waters.
Samsally

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha, yeah teen wolf is super shitty about that stuff too (especially in the 'but we have an openly gay character SEE SEE SEE oh i guess we just couldn't find a place for him this season nevermind. or 'oh i guess she's bi not actually a lesbian looooooool'. and look i'm just really done with teen wolf's bullshit right now.)

another really shitty contender would be bbc's sherlock.

I mean yeah generally it's done for the monies but I'm pretty gun shy about this particular issue, I honestly have no idea what to expect from Tat.
Ronald

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Echo wrote:
Quote:
As an earlier strip that I posted makes clear, Monique is at least aware of Tange's existence, so there's another potential pal.

'Nique and Tange are friends. And Tange is presumably still wearing 'Nique's shoes.

Hm, forgot about that strip, thanks. I'm not as "up" on the strips of the last few years as on the first several.

Is that the first time 'Nique and Tange met since that time at the tree?

EverythingsJake wrote:
Ronald wrote:
And yet she's addressed at least two other characters by that title:.

There's a difference between a young woman calling a woman friend "girlfriend" and saying, "You are my girlfriend." The "heeey, girlfriend" is between friends, casual acquaintances, or simply one woman addressing another. The second carries romantic implications.

I don't know, I'm pretty sure that, among women, "girlfriend" can be synonymous with "friend," or maybe just for, specifically, "best friend." Saying that a woman is "out with her girlfriends" (plural) is a fairly common phrase. I'm pretty sure.

Obviously the same doesn't hold true for men and "boyfriends."

I suppose that, while a woman might introduce her platonic friends (plural) as "[some of] my girlfriends," she probably wouldn't introduce one platonic friend (singular) as "my girlfriend." Being not a woman, I can't claim any particular insight on this.

It suddenly occurs to me that I have not idea one as to whether you (Echo) are a woman or not. If you are, well, the above is obviously going to sound even more idiotic than it might have otherwise sounded. Wink

I admit that I'm clueless except when I can't tell.
Echo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It suddenly occurs to me that I have not idea one as to whether you (Echo) are a woman or not. If you are, well, the above is obviously going to sound even more idiotic than it might have otherwise sounded.

Point the first: I'm female. As hinted by my adopting 'Nique's line about being a strong, independent woman as an avatar.

Point the second: You're having that discussion with EverythingsJake, not me... where I am, "girlfriend" doesn't generally get used in a manner other than denoting a romantic relationship.

As for Tange and 'Nique... I remember the Friend Zone, but other than that, and the shoes lesson, and Tange showing 'Nique the pegasus viewing tree, nothing comes to mind.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronald wrote:

I don't know, I'm pretty sure that, among women, "girlfriend" can be synonymous with "friend," or maybe just for, specifically, "best friend." Saying that a woman is "out with her girlfriends" (plural) is a fairly common phrase. I'm pretty sure.

Obviously the same doesn't hold true for men and "boyfriends."

I suppose that, while a woman might introduce her platonic friends (plural) as "[some of] my girlfriends," she probably wouldn't introduce one platonic friend (singular) as "my girlfriend." Being not a woman, I can't claim any particular insight on this.

speaking as a woman, i have to say that no, we don't tend to use 'girlfriend' specifically for "best friend". women do have a tendency to refer to their female friends as "girlfriends", but that doesn't necessarily imply a particularly tight friendship. i think monique is using 'girlfriend' in the comics you posted as sort of a generic mode of address - sort of like some older men will address younger men as 'son'. it says something about the generational relationship - older man to younger, young woman to similar-aged woman - but when a cop says to a suspect "son, put the gun down" he is not indicating that he sees said suspect as equivalent to his own personal offspring. and when monique throws off a "girlfriend", she not announcing a close personal relationship. maybe it's an age related thing? i seem to hear that usage more among younger women.

and on her not having a platonic friend - well, there are friends and there are friends. i know a lot of women that i see regularly, chat with frequently and often intimately...but really only a couple that i would count as a true friend, someone i would trust with any secret, someone i know i could call if i really needed help - and someone who feels the same way about me. yes, monique is friendly with about everyone she meets, she chats easily, she listens sympathetically - doesn't mean she feels really close to everyone.
Jabberjay

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But never feeling that close to anyone of the same sex, ever? With Monique's outgoing nature that's either really bad luck or indicitive that she had a prior problem forming legitimately close relationships. Or just that she's a comic strip character introduced for a booty-joke and wasn't fleshed out until later, so she didn't really have the opportunity.

I honestly can't think of a single person I know above the age of ten that hasn't had at least one legitimate friendship with a member of each sex. I'm going through my mental rolodex here and I'm drawing up a blank. Even the loneliest of the loners and craziest of a psychos had friends. I was super awkward as a kid and even I coud make friends.

I'm not saying it's 100% unrealistic, unexplainable, and that it shatters my suspension of disbelief in a webcomic with demons and a talking pig, but it is unusual enough to notice.
wobster109

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad 'Nique gets a girlfriend. Slick had two guyfriends from the very beginning, Crim and Squigly. Nice to see Mr. Ishida is taking the Bechdel lesson to heart. Smile

@Jabberjay - it's a commentary on the earlier strips. It was originally a strip about men, for men. For a long time, 'Nique existed only as Slick's love interest. She didn't get her own friends/stories independent of Slick until much later.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: