welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

August 13, 2014: Coffee
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EverythingsJake

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:29 am    Post subject: August 13, 2014: Coffee Reply with quote

At least it's fresh.
Istancow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D'you know, I've never had coffee before. I wonder what about it makes people so dependent upon it. Is it necessarily more energising than caffeinated tea?
PebbleInTheSky

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coffee is addictive, isn't it? That's part of it. It's also much more commonly available where I live.

Also, caffeine can help some people with ADD to calm down and focus, myself included. Though it's not nearly as strong in my experience as medication intended for that purpose, like say Adderall. People may attribute that effect to the coffee itself instead of the caffeine.
Random Wanderer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PebbleInTheSky wrote:
Also, caffeine can help some people with ADD to calm down and focus, myself included. Though it's not nearly as strong in my experience as medication intended for that purpose, like say Adderall. People may attribute that effect to the coffee itself instead of the caffeine.

That would be nice. A shame I can't even stand the smell of the stuff, let alone the taste of it.
Yinello

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I also don't like coffee. Which is why I slurp too much tea and cola light.
Echo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like coffee. But even decaf stuff makes me twitch and ruins my sleep pattern, these days. So, another nice thing I can't have.

In other news, boo for Blue coming back and deciding to yell at Abby. She doesn't seem to be in the mood for appreciating the value of friendship after what she's seen recently.
Sir Craigius

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That last panel really reminded me of that old Claymation show The Trap Door. Blue is probably as grumpy sounding as the thing upstairs.

"BURK! FEEEED MEEEEEE!"
Jabberjay

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know that drowsy head-filled-with-cottonballs feeling that people get when they wake up? Coffee fixes that. If you use coffee to fix it often enough you'll become dependent on coffee to make the feeling go away before noon. Since it is a natural laxative some also use it to loosen their bowels. Weirdly enough tea has never made me have to poop, so I gotta wonder what is so special about coffee?

Also it goes VERY good with a smoke. Coffee and cigarettes are a better combination than peanut butter and jelly or biscuits and gravy. It just feels and tastes so right.
EverythingsJake

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The aroma of coffee is marvelous. But it tastes like furniture polish and old tires. Perhaps it's one of those things like those tasting papers in biology class that to some people taste like paper and to other people taste horribly bitter. Except I was one of those who didn't taste the paper, so perhaps that's not it.
Nekomancer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! A lot of people like me here who don't like or care for coffee. I'm wondering if this is an unlooked for trait among Sinfest fans -- no idea!

When I was quit little I'd wake up when my father -- who was a postman -- got up and have breakfast with him. I remember sampling his coffee and immediately spewing it across the table and walls. Awfullest stuff ever. Of course he had it incredibly strong and black. The taste was wretched to me. I believe that in the course of the next numerous months, maybe years I would repeat this, forgetting the past outcome, and same results. To this day I cannot abide the taste or smell of coffee. Not even coffee ice cream -- more for my wife -- or mocha candies -- again more for my wife!

But I do love tea!! I drink cups of it at work. Caffinated, decaff -- it's the wonderful taste. My favorite is a variety called "Lady Earl Gray" -- not as intense as Earl, but sublime, calming, and downright mellow. Not found of herbals. I want my tea to taste like tea, not like a fruit salad. But camomile is great for bedtime!

Drink up! And lets give a toast to Tat, Us, and above all, Justice.
Samsally

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love coffee. It is a life-sustaining morning requirement.

Totally an acquired taste though. Like I literally had to go out of my way to like it. Started with froofy mostly steamed milk and sugar concoctions, then worked my way towards actual coffee with sugar and cream.

I tried to keep going to eventually enjoy black coffee but I realized I was basically making my morning cup of life-juice unenjoyable so I stopped.
EverythingsJake

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dislike for coffee dates back to childhood, when I discovered how unpleasant coffee-flavored candy tasted. I still find it puzzling that it doesn't taste at all like it smells. If it did I would drink it.

Tea -- yes, if it's good, dark, malty Assam-type such as Irish Breakfast, loose-leaf, brewed in a pot using water at a full boil, steeped for three minutes, lightly sweetened, preferably with milk. Lipton's in a bag, however, is foul.
pgranzeau

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coffee, alone (black) tastes nothing like it smells. I discovered earl on that when sweetened adequately, it was palatable, and now, in my old age, I have discovered that I like it with cream, too--it tastes very good, in fact. But I have come to depend on that cup of Joe to wake me up in the mornings, too.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a supertaster, which is why I hate coffee. It is really horrible and bitter. I have discovered that gas station cappuccino machines sometimes taste okay, and there is one local coffee shop that I can enjoy a cappucino at. But other than that, all coffee is awful, no matter how much sugar I put in it.

I drink Inka coffee substitute, which tastes the way coffee smells. It is basically burnt barley and molasses ground up and dried into a powder. Delicious with milk and flavor syrups.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a fan of trying new things and it actually annoys me when I don't like them. I will stubbornly re-try things until I like them. I've managed it with blueberries, cotton candy (LOOK I WAS A WEIRD KID IDK), and coffee.

My latest adventure is beer. There are a few beers I don't completely hate now, when that was definitely not the case years ago. Still working towards the really hoppy ones though, I think it's the hops I dislike the most.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: