welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

August 13, 2014: Coffee
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stripeypants

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverythingsJake wrote:
Sometimes, when I've told people I don't care for coffee and never learned to drink it, they say, "You have to put in a lot of milk and sugar until you get used to it."

To which I reply, "No. No I don't. I don't have to do any such thing. There is no law in the land saying that I must."

To which they say, ".... oh. Yeah, I guess."

Yes, exactly! Unless you live in a coffee culture where you'll be considered rude if you don't drink it, not drinking coffee doesn't exactly ruin anyone's life. (Though I am disappointed that tea based drinks are usually much more expensive than coffee based drinks at coffee shops.)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverythingsJake wrote:
Tea -- yes, if it's good, dark, malty Assam-type such as Irish Breakfast, loose-leaf, brewed in a pot using water at a full boil, steeped for three minutes, lightly sweetened, preferably with milk. Lipton's in a bag, however, is foul.

I will go on rants about how bad Lipton's is, don't get me started. The only thing worse than Lipton's is Bushell's, which tastes like actual dirt.

Stripeypants, how do you find out if you're a supertaster? What is a supertaster? I'm wondering if I might be one now because I always seem to taste "aftertastes" of things which other people don't notice but completely ruin whatever food or beverage it is that I'm having for me. I'm okay with the coffees (well, mochas) I get, but I have had occasional ones from places that aren't exactly side of the road where after I take a sip I notice a sickening, almost metallic, aftertaste, which usually if I ask someone else to try they think it's fine.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russian caravan tastes like meatiness, and everyone should try it if you can.

A supertaster is someone who tastes more than everyone else. A medium taster tastes normal amounts, and then a non-taster doesn't taste much of anything.

There are different ways you can test yourself. You can buy a strip of paper coated in a chemical that tastes disgusting to supertasters, okay to medium tasters, and like paper to non-tasters:
http://supertaster.com/
(I don't know if they ship outside the US.)

A cheaper way that isn't as definitive is to have an artificial sweetener. I forget which one, but I think it's aspartame that really has an awful kick to it. To me it tastes kind of like chewing on ibuprofen. So if you don't like those, there's a good chance you might be.

Another test is to dye your tongue blue and see how big your taste buds are or how many you have - but I have found this is not useful.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tasting is a fairly complex interaction of taste and smell, though... there's some interesting science behind people's ability to taste phenylthiocarbamide (PTC; a synthetic glucosinolate) and dislike for cruciferous veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, Brussel sprouts). But dislike for cilantro seems to be rooted in the inability of some people to smell dodecenal. 6-n-propylthiouracil (PROP; a thiourea) has also been linked to dislike for coffee, Brussel sprouts, saccharin, and grapefruit (which contains naringin, a flavinoid that tastes bitter to PROP-tasters). There's also the fact that the density of taste buds in the various parts of your tongue, as well as the total number, change as you age, which is why some people feel differently about vegetables as adults than they did as a kid.

Tasting is crazy complicated.
Samsally

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of that is cool.

I know cilantro especially has a very dedicated hate-following.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, i am going to go with being just a regular taster then, because i like all that stuff.

except saccharin. or any artificial sweetener. that stuff is just nasty.
EverythingsJake

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:

There are different ways you can test yourself. You can buy a strip of paper coated in a chemical that tastes disgusting to supertasters, okay to medium tasters, and like paper to non-tasters:
http://supertaster.com/

If you want to parse out the three different chemicals that go into being a "taster" or "nontaster," Nasco has them as a kit for a price similar to the "supertaster" papers: http://www.enasco.com/product/SB11123M

The "supertaster" kit doesn't say (on the page at least) which of these it tests for, and that's a bit overpriced for two tests. The Nasco kit could do your entire family plus the whole neighborhood at the next block party, if you were so inclined.
Istancow

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind Lipton, but most of what I drink is either Twinings Earl Grey, or the Jasmine and Oolong from a tea-shop in China whose name I don't remember.

I think any tea is nice, really. Although I do recall trying some of the tea at a Starbucks and having it taste awful.

Vid probably related to something or other.
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
ok, i am going to go with being just a regular taster then, because i like all that stuff.

except saccharin. or any artificial sweetener. that stuff is just nasty.

I like all of it except grapefruit, which I can't stand (even as a juice). So I don't know what I am, though I figure being able to eat more things makes me generally superior to those who can't. But mostly I just eat the things I like and don't eat grapefruit.

Or okra.
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Istancow wrote:
Vid probably related to something or other.

Funny, when I don't get coffee in the morning I'm far too immobile to drag people around by their ankles and climb a vending machine.
Konoko

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:06 pm    Post subject: I love this thread Reply with quote

Jabberjay wrote:
You know that drowsy head-filled-with-cottonballs feeling that people get when they wake up? Coffee fixes that. If you use coffee to fix it often enough you'll become dependent on coffee to make the feeling go away before noon. Since it is a natural laxative some also use it to loosen their bowels. Weirdly enough tea has never made me have to poop, so I gotta wonder what is so special about coffee?

I know, right?! Goddamn coffee poops. They've been really nasty, too, lately. And everybody wanted to know that, NOT. :3 I'm so sorry...

Also, a lot of the things Samsally wrote here make me feel all fuzzy inside. Like this person is speaking my mind for me.

I've been drinking coffee since I was 6. I'm not sure if mom knew kids shouldn't drink coffee. I take mine with some milk. I'm not enjoying the taste, in particular, but it's a Habit with a capital H. I did quit for a couple of years, but took it up again at some point. My memories about these decisions are vague, nearly non-existing.

Finland definitely has a strong coffee culture. Still, I don't think it's frowned upon if you don't take part in it. I don't usually drink coffee at work/school. Because of the reason mentioned above, ahem.

TL;DR: I drink coffee with milk!
"The first seven years it was coffee and revenge." - Mr. Ishida

P.S. My apologies for butting in on your tea/tasting conversation.
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun fact, only some people have that response to coffee. The effect has been demonstrated in both caffeinated and uncaffeinated coffee, and not with tea, so it's something special about coffee that stimulates your colon. And fast, too.

In the hospital we make a "crappucino," which is black coffee with milk of magnesia mixed in. It comes at you from both ends. Milk of magnesia is an osmotic laxative, meaning it pulls water into the colon as it travels, then the coffee stimulates the distal colon and Bob's your uncle.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cilantro tastes like soap to me, but I had it in a different setting so I like it now. So it still tastes like soap - but good soap.

That's a lot of supertaster tests! I want to get one of those sometime and have a taste testing party. Get some of those, some miracle berries, and a bunch of foods. Good times!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to drink coffee. A lot.
Then, a few years ago, while walking with my wife, I got chest pains...
Doctor scheduled a heart stress test. No caffeine for 48 hours prior.
By the time I did the test, my chest felt fine. Conclusion: No More Coffee!

Do I understand Blue's shout? Yes.
Do I miss real coffee? Ooh yes.
Enough to take back the chest pain? No thanks, I'll stick with decaf, or juice.

BUT - I'd *Really Like* a personal mug with "Where's My Coffee?" on it.
MerchManDan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't drink coffee every day, but when I do it's with milk/cream and sugar. Without the addition of dairy, it's just too acidic for me. Tea is better, I only need to add some sugar. Red Rose is my usual brand - it's an orange pekoe blend that used to be marketed as available "only in Canada." (Pity!) For the most part, though, I'm not picky; maybe I'm one of those "non-tasters" or something.

Video is somewhat related to this discussion AND has zombies, a ninja secretary and one Wilhelm Scream.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: