welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

An Article About Robin Williams That Worries Me

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zarus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: An Article About Robin Williams That Worries Me Reply with quote

pls don't kill yourself tat
Jonin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a little... Extreme.

But still a good point. If you're depressed and thinking about suicide. Seek help.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're concerned about depressed people not dying, commit to change your attitudes about mental health. Many people don't make it because they don't have support, and they don't have support because of shitty ideas about mental health.

In the wake of a death by depression people are all, "Oh, if only they knew they were loved!" But when death is less pressing, it's, "Just get over it! Clearly you don't want to try! You're lazy! It's all in your head."

I think if we do this, it will do a whole lot more good than putting all the onus on depressed people - who already have quite enough to deal with.

Sam

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

“The so-called ‘psychotically depressed’ person who tries to kill herself doesn’t do so out of, quote, ‘hopelessness’ or any abstract conviction that life’s assets and debits do not square. And surely not because death seems suddenly appealing.

The person in whom Its invisible agony reaches a certain unendurable level will kill herself the same way a trapped person will eventually jump from the window of a burning high-rise.

Make no mistake about people who leap from burning windows. Their terror of falling from a great height is still just as great as it would be for you or me standing speculatively at the same window just checking out the view; i.e. the fear of falling remains a constant. The variable here is the other terror, the fire’s flames: when the flames get close enough, falling to death becomes the slightly less terrible of two terrors.

It’s not desiring the fall; it’s terror of the flames. And yet nobody down on the sidewalk, looking up and yelling ‘Don’t!’ and ‘Hang on!’, can understand the jump. Not really. You’d have to have personally been trapped and felt flames to really understand a terror way beyond falling.”

― David Foster Wallace
Sam

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So little in the way of layman-digestible material on the subject of depression (and the suicidal ideation that usually follows from it) has existed that was as succinct and effective as what Hyperbole and a Half wrote about it, as well.
Jabberjay

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smokey Robinson has not one but TWO songs about this.

Tears of a Clown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2E_RSJAhYU

Tracks of My Tears: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNS6D4hSQdA

So take a good look at my face
You'll see my smile looks out of place
If you look closer it's easy to trace
The tracks of my tears
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so it seems that robin williams was also in the early stages of parkinson's.
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
So little in the way of layman-digestible material on the subject of depression (and the suicidal ideation that usually follows from it) has existed that was as succinct and effective as what Hyperbole and a Half wrote about it, as well.

Agreed. I had the pleasure to meet Allie at a book signing, to tell her a story about someone connecting with me through those posts, and to thank her for writing about it. It was pretty cool.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As what wa, plus I would suggest reading this instead if your looking for insight into William's death: http://radaronline.com/exclusives/2014/08/robin-williams-death-suicide-movies-crazy-ones-mrs-doubtfire-jay-thomas-mork-mindy-michael-jackson/

It has collected bits from people who actually knew him and some other stuff. I kinda figured the show cancellation was part of it in some fashion. I was a fan, and really liked it, but he played a character that was a lot like himself (past substance abuse and one time 'bigger and brighter career') and in the scenes where he was reflective and hard on himself, it didn't seem like he was acting-- if he had been in pain for a while and this wasn't that unexpected by those around him, there were definitely times when it showed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
EverythingsJake

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And today it came out that he'd recently been diagnosed with early-stage Parkinson's. Some people are already speculating that it was one more blow he didn't want to face, but the fact of the matter is that Parkinson's often exacerbates the effects of depression and anxiety. It may not have been despair over the diagnosis so much as despair caused by the disease itself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: