Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's Your Tribe?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thewaitersitsondown

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HARDCORRRRE!!!
Snorri

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guccipiggy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thewaitersitsondown wrote:
Groups like the Arctic Monkeys are like the just plain brown bread. Technically not MAIN mainstream, but I like the stuff with like seeds and stuff in it.

What sounds like Arctic Monkeys?

Please.
Snorri

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHY DOES EVERYBODY HAVE TO BELONG IN A GROUP? WHO CARES IF THEIR INDIE, URBAN OR GOTH??

Guccipiggy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHY CAN'T WE JUST ALL GET ALONG?
Michael

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
Why is it people have to be cool by not being into things that other people like? Its sort of like anti-conformism, which makes it pretty damn similar to conformism, doesn't it? I mean, "I can't like <insert> because they're too popular right now." just strikes me as... utterly retarded. Its like the same damn thing, only in the opposite direction.

To be truely unique and honest to god say 'fuck the masses' wouldn't you have to like things based on your own tastes, and not that of everybody elses?

I am so non-conformist I devoutly follow EVERY fad. take that. bunch of amateur non-conformists! ha!

only nobody notices Sad
trustedfaith

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
Gah, that isn't what I'm saying. Of course some people just don't like everything that is mainstream because it is downright -bad- in their opinions. That is perfectly understandable. I'm just talking about people that choose to dislike something because it is too popular.

thewaitersitsondown wrote:
I don't see it as being cool. It's more like brown bread vs white bread. The more mainstream it is, the more processed it gets, and the less there actually is in it of value. Groups like the Arctic Monkeys are like the just plain brown bread. Technically not MAIN mainstream, but I like the stuff with like seeds and stuff in it.

I wouldn't say that -everything- that gets popular is all as bland and uninteresting as you make it out to be... but I very likely have a different set of tastes than you do. I didn't mean to come off as attacking either, it just sparked my memory.

Actually Josh has a point. A lot of mainstream stuff follows a formula. The formula is a process that has worked in the past for other products, services, or people.

When they continuously use the same formula to produce a successful service or product they're selling -- it becomes processed, or overly done. And at that point, those who like variety don't care for it. It's been done time and time again, yet they'll still beat the dead horse some more to try and get a few more dollars out of it.

I'm also doing the twitter thing; you should stalk/follow me: http://twitter.com/sillygurlroo
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Guccipiggy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all very Benjamin and art pour art vs. massification but honestly... aren't we just part of the masses?

We make that happen, you know.
andrew

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, for the record.

"Indie" has not once, not EVER, meant "not mainstream."

Indie always has and always will be short for "independent."

In terms of music, this means the band is not one of the "major" record labels.

The Arctic Monkeys had their latest album put out by Domino Records, a longtime indie label responsible for a lot of bands that garner a lot of indie street cred: The Notwist, Franz Ferdinand, Four Tet, The Kills and Elliott Smith, among others.

Hence, they are Indie with a capital "I" regardless of who plays their music.

Of course, this raises valid questions, like: Is DCfC still indie now that they've signed with Atlantic? o_O

Personally, I think the easiest way to determine whether a group is indie or not is by checking whether Jeph Jacques considers them to be.
Guccipiggy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'm replying too much to this thread.

But, the term Indie has evolved and is really a music genre now. If you see all those bands and listen to them, you'll find something in common. What it is, I can't exactly put my finger on it. But there's something in common with all of them.
andrew

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guccipiggy wrote:
I know I'm replying too much to this thread.

But, the term Indie has evolved and is really a music genre now. If you see all those bands and listen to them, you'll find something in common. What it is, I can't exactly put my finger on it. But there's something in common with all of them.

I wholeheartedly, vehemently disagree.

I challenge you to find any similarity between, for example, Brother Ali and Four Tet. Or between Four Tet and the Arctic Monkeys. Or the Arctic Monkeys and Desaparecidos. Or Desaparecidos and Brother Ali.

Then, having possibly located similarities, ensure that the similarity is consistent for all five artists.

This is an open challenge.
Guccipiggy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I only know one of the bands you're talking about Embarassed

So too much work Razz
Marik

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: modest mouse, anyone? well, fuck you too Reply with quote

Some bands have gone to major labels and are still considered indie. Indie is a scene, indie is a social group, indie is an obscure form of rock which you only learn about from someone slightly more hip than yourself.

It's safe to say that the word is morphing beyond its original and strict translation.

If all goes as expected, it will soon have distinct geographic variation. HoCo and SoCal 'indie' will soon mean totally different things!
trustedfaith

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe like 5-7 years ago I'd have agreed solely with Andrew. However, nowadays Sam would be right. It's morphed into a "scene", with the help of emo kids and the like.

Bands become cool when you go to someone's house who's playing them and asks "Hey do you like The Suckmydicks?" And you look at them dumbfounded because you've never heard of them. They tell you how cool they are, and when you leave their house you're off buying one of their albums so you can ask an unsuspecting friend of yours if they've heard of them. Wash rinse repeat.

I'm also doing the twitter thing; you should stalk/follow me: http://twitter.com/sillygurlroo
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
kame

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, why don't we just say the term has two or more uses: as a descriptive term, and a cultural one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: