welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

It's a dog eat dog world.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trustedfaith

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Natashabi wrote:
trustedfaith wrote:
Natashabi wrote:
(not that I do anything to provoke any dog, especially a police dog)

I know how to fix that. Don't run away from the cops, then you won't need to defend yourself against a police dog chasing you. Very Happy

You wasn't directly aimed at you. It was aimed at any person in general who thinks they have a right to try and bite or hit a police dog and not be charged with it. If "you" weren't running in the first place, he/she/it wouldn't be chasing you. And like others have said, the handlers don't sit there and have a smoke while the dog tries to eat your face off.
Natashabi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough Smile

And I do understand that the handlers would probably be around.

None of my dogs have ever been particularly obedient, so I guess I just don't trust them to listen, despite knowing that they are usually very well trained animals.
trustedfaith

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Natashabi wrote:
Fair enough Smile

None of my dogs have ever been particularly obedient, so I guess I just don't trust them to listen, despite knowing that they are usually very well trained animals.

I've met an arson dog, that is trained to sniff out fires and tell if they were an arson crime. She was so incredibly trained, because she had to go through years of school. The smartest dog I've met yet.

Besides, police dogs are not trained to bite the bad guys, they're trained to take them down for the police.
Michael

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
Natashabi wrote:
Feiticeira wrote:
Natashabi wrote:
I think if they attack the dog without provocation, that's bad and they should be charged with assault.

But if you had a snarling dog chasing you and about to attack, would you hesitate to defend yourself?

I assume you'll be gunning down any police officers who pull their gun on you too? Good luck with that.

No. I don't like guns. I wouldn't ever have one.

Anyway, you can stop and the officer shouldn't shoot.

If you stop when the dog is attacking you, you're going to get hurt. I already said that if a person just attacks the dog without it attacking them, that is bad. I would not just lay there and let a dog bite the shit out of me without trying to do something to get it to stop.

well, police dogs usually have handlers - so if you stop, the handler will stop the dog from attacking you.

If the handler is always there and ready to intervene why do they have a dog?
How can you blame someone for fighting back when there's a big dog getting ready to eat their face off. Even if the dog is trained not to do that it's a scary enough situation, no-one's going to stand still and let the dog get 'm because the officer will pull it off.
trustedfaith

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What they're fighting back from is a dog who's trying to pull them down to the ground. They're not fighting back from the dog, they're fighting to get released to run again. Heh.
bun bun

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
dogs have very soft tender munchable ears. i shall think that the suspect bit the dog's ear.

this has to be the creepily sweetest thing i've read in a long time. my imagination keeps putting forth an image of two german shepherd puppies, one chewing on the other one's ear in a playfight.

except the former is a person, not a puppy. with blissful look on his face. (sorry if you're a girl, mouse, i didn't know either way)
Major Tom

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IN RELATED NEWS:

Dog Blamed for Hitting Woman With Truck

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: July 13, 2006
Filed at 10:48 a.m. ET

OGDEN, Utah (AP) -- A police dog that was left in a pickup with the engine running apparently knocked the vehicle into gear and ran down a woman who was walking to her mailbox.

Mary F. Stone, 41, was expected to remain hospitalized with a fractured pelvis and tailbone until at least Friday, said her husband, Paul Stone.

The dog, a German shepherd named Ranger, had been left in the truck while its handler responded to a domestic disturbance call Tuesday, police Lt. Loring Draper said. The truck's engine was on so Ranger would have air conditioning.

Draper said Ranger must have hit the shift on the steering column, putting the automatic transmission into gear. As the truck slowly rolled forward, police officers yelled to Stone, but she couldn't get out of the way in time, he said.

A front and rear tire ran over her. ''She had tire marks on her clothes,'' her husband said.

The truck then went through the Stones' yard and struck a vehicle in the driveway.

Draper said police were trying to determine if there might have been some malfunction that would have allowed the gear shift to be moved easily.
PsycoMonkey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so would that cause the officer or the animal any job difficulties? or does she just get a nice big lump sum of money from a law suit for this?
Desire

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends. When I was hit by a state trooper (and she totaled my car) I weasn't allowed to sue because the police were insured by the state treasury department and you can't sure them. Don't know if that's a jersey thing or not. They did pay for my car though.
PsycoMonkey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well..i wouldnt really sue if they paid for the car...and if there were any hospital bills..or maybe prolonged injury..they should pay for that too

but this car ran over a woman due to lack of attention to a) the dog b) the mechanical condition of the car c) me d) any proper parking on the officers part e) me

plus they will have to pay for the car it ran into

im just rambling and mumbling..you can ignore me..but you can not get rid of me Wink
Kilgore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trustedfaith wrote:
Natashabi wrote:
Fair enough Smile

I've met an arson dog, that is trained to sniff out fires and tell if they were an arson crime. She was so incredibly trained, because she had to go through years of school. The smartest dog I've met yet.

Besides, police dogs are not trained to bite the bad guys, they're trained to take them down for the police.

To be fair, they're trained to take them down by biting them on the arm and dragging them to the ground. Being brought down by a police dog is not a gentle, painless, or stress free experience.

From what I've seen/heard, bite dogs are trained to be on a hair trigger, and not to be obedient to anyone other than their handler. Police working with dog units have to be careful, because the dogs strongest drive is to bite, not to be discerning. If a police officer ends up meeting the criteria of a person the dog has been trained to bite, the dog may well bite them. Training instils no small measure of predatory drive into them.

-Slick
trustedfaith

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, I have to disagree with this. Because it's all in how they're trained. People think pit bulls have that insatiable instinct to attack, and that's why they get banned in all sorts of states.

But my dad's friend was a breeder, he had four of them at his home. When I was like 8 or 9 I would go over there with my dad. I rough-housed with those dogs, and they were nothing but gentle and playful with me. I could have yanked their ear off, and they wouldn't dare try to bite me.

It really depends on how you train the dog.
Kilgore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sure. Police dogs (by which I mean bite dogs, not arson dogs or drug dogs or bomb dogs) don't attack people because of some innate viciousness, they attack people because they're trained as attack dogs. That's the whole point.

-Slick
HamletSr

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Police dogs are scary as shit, but if the dog was trying to eat you, you really wouldn't have much of a shot against it unless you a truly vicious fucker yourself (fiet). Didn't anyone play command and conquer? they go through infantry like butter.
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
If the handler is always there and ready to intervene why do they have a dog?
How can you blame someone for fighting back when there's a big dog getting ready to eat their face off. Even if the dog is trained not to do that it's a scary enough situation, no-one's going to stand still and let the dog get 'm because the officer will pull it off.

dogs are faster than people, and most people have better sense than to try to fight one off.

i think usually, though, they are more intended for other purposes (like sniffing out drugs or explosives), and as an intimidation factor - not as something that the cops automatically sic on someone. the idea is that a person, seeing the officer has a dog, will have the sense to do what he is told, rather than run or try to fight the officer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 2 of 11

Jump to: