welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

It's a dog eat dog world.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
Michael wrote:
If the handler is always there and ready to intervene why do they have a dog?
How can you blame someone for fighting back when there's a big dog getting ready to eat their face off. Even if the dog is trained not to do that it's a scary enough situation, no-one's going to stand still and let the dog get 'm because the officer will pull it off.

dogs are faster than people, and most people have better sense than to try to fight one off.

i think usually, though, they are more intended for other purposes (like sniffing out drugs or explosives), and as an intimidation factor - not as something that the cops automatically sic on someone. the idea is that a person, seeing the officer has a dog, will have the sense to do what he is told, rather than run or try to fight the officer.

Smile it was sort of a rhetorical question, I meant to point out that if you use the dog for its speed the handler mightn't be present when it actually attacks. Of course in most cases he won't be far behind so it's kind of a moot point really...

The real point though, is not the police dog but the persons reaction to it.
If something is biting your arm I can't blame you for trying to fight it off. It's not the logical thing to do, but not a strange thing in the circumstances. Sure some people might say 'oh hey it's a highly trained police dog that won't harm me if I don't struggle' but I think most will just straight panic.

The same goes for the intimidation factor, a lot of people feel immediatly threatened or at least lose their cool in the presence of big dogs which can easily lead to some stupid behaviour. It's not a conclusive argument but it's definitely something that should be kept in mind. In some cases introducing police dogs will only escalate the situation.
Kilgore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
dogs are faster than people, and most people have better sense than to try to fight one off.

i think usually, though, they are more intended for other purposes (like sniffing out drugs or explosives), and as an intimidation factor - not as something that the cops automatically sic on someone. the idea is that a person, seeing the officer has a dog, will have the sense to do what he is told, rather than run or try to fight the officer.

The police have different dogs for different purposeses. Dogs trained to sniff drugs or explosives aren't set on people. If the dog was sent after a suspect it was a trained bite dog, and probably a big scary german shepard or doberman to boot.

-Slick
Teh Digital Dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should respond to a police dog coming at you exactly as you would to a cop with a gun. Go down and offer no resistance and the dog won’t hurt you. If you attempt to fight back, you are bringing pain (but almost certainly not serious injury) upon yourself. A suspect attempting to run and resisting the police dog sent after them really has no right to complain about roughness.
Snorri

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:

The real point though, is not the police dog but the persons reaction to it.
If something is biting your arm I can't blame you for trying to fight it off. It's not the logical thing to do, but not a strange thing in the circumstances. Sure some people might say 'oh hey it's a highly trained police dog that won't harm me if I don't struggle' but I think most will just straight panic.

The same goes for the intimidation factor, a lot of people feel immediatly threatened or at least lose their cool in the presence of big dogs which can easily lead to some stupid behaviour. It's not a conclusive argument but it's definitely something that should be kept in mind. In some cases introducing police dogs will only escalate the situation.

I also lose my cool if the police start pulling guns on me.

mouse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, but do you bite them?
PsycoMonkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup
Zanthina

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teh Digital Dragon wrote:
You should respond to a police dog coming at you exactly as you would to a cop with a gun. Go down and offer no resistance and the dog won’t hurt you. If you attempt to fight back, you are bringing pain (but almost certainly not serious injury) upon yourself. A suspect attempting to run and resisting the police dog sent after them really has no right to complain about roughness.

I agree. I would treat the dog as an officer. If the dog or officer didn't hurt me I wouldn't hurt them. If either one attacked me I would have the right to fight back. If I hurt either one of them I would expect them to defend themselves.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Kilgore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I don't think you do have the right to fight back against a police officer. That's known as "resisting arrest" in some circles, and reprecussions can result.

-Slick
Zanthina

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant in the unlikely event that they should use unecessary and unprovoked force. Basically if the officer started beating me out of the blue I'd fight back.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Kilgore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You best pray somebody is videotaping it if that ever happens.

-Slick
Sojobo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there's praying to be done in any case, when the situation starts with cops using unnecessary and unprovoked force on you.
Zanthina

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True. ::shudders::

Teh Digital Dragon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once got stopped and searched by cops for having a broken nose and being barefoot.

Fascists, man.
Sojobo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been stopped by cops when walking home from work, once. It was around 3am, and someone had reported that someone broke into their car and stole a radio or something a few blocks away, so they weren't being completely ridiculous.

But what was completely ridiculous was that the "they" ended up being four squadcars and five officers who questioned me for like 45 minutes. They even good-cop-bad-copped me, which was somewhat funny, except Bad Cop was like 6'5 and built like a tank.

"Look, kid, we know you did it, so just admit it so we can get this over with."

Scared me near to pissing myself.
nathan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once got searched by cops for staging a massive group fight scene in a dark alley with plastic knives and firearms.

Fascists, man.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: