welcome to the fest
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Will the next election be hacked?"
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
BoySetsFire



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 374
Location: Rex Kwan Doe enthusiast

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject: "Will the next election be hacked?" Reply with quote

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/11717105/robert_f_kennedy_jr__will_the_next_election_be_hacked/1

Quote:
The debacle of the 2000 presidential election made it all too apparent to most Americans that our electoral system is broken. And private-sector entrepreneurs were quick to offer a fix: Touch-screen voting machines, promised the industry and its lobbyists, would make voting as easy and reliable as withdrawing cash from an ATM. Congress, always ready with funds for needy industries, swiftly authorized $3.9 billion to upgrade the nation's election systems - with much of the money devoted to installing electronic voting machines in each of America's 180,000 precincts. But as midterm elections approach this November, electronic voting machines are making things worse instead of better. Studies have demonstrated that hackers can easily rig the technology to fix an election - and across the country this year, faulty equipment and lax security have repeatedly undermined election primaries.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
kame



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 2565
Location: Alba Nuadh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This could be easily solved in two ways:

An actual paper printout of the voting, so if the votes disagree with early exit polling to a startling degree, a manual recount can be taken.

Properly programmed machines.
_________________
bi-chromaticism is the extraordinary belief that there exists only two options
each polar opposite to each other
where one is completely superior to the other.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
jeep



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 504

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

but kame, my man, if the voting machines actually recorded the truth...


how would any republican's get elected?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
andrew



Joined: 13 Jul 2006
Posts: 4495
Location: the raging sea

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeep wrote:
but kame, my man, if the voting machines actually recorded the truth...


how would any republican's get elected?


Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jeep



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 504

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrew wrote:


Rolling Eyes


Oh damnit you're right i forgot... Round up the crazy fundementalists and rednecks to vote and disgust the rest of the population into not voting...

How could i have forgotten something so simple?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kilgore



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 2833
Location: Portland, Or

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeep wrote:
andrew wrote:


Rolling Eyes


Oh damnit you're right i forgot... Round up the crazy fundementalists and rednecks to vote and disgust the rest of the population into not voting...

How could i have forgotten something so simple?


If the rest of the population (could you call them the silent majority?) isn't voting out of disgust, they deserve the government they get.
_________________
"Whatever afflicts thee, their asses I shall kick"

-Slick
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Marik



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 1234

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: bush suzks am i rite Reply with quote

jeep wrote:
but kame, my man, if the voting machines actually recorded the truth...


how would any republican's get elected?




[
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dr. Awkward



Joined: 05 Aug 2006
Posts: 74

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Create a device that is Unix based, encrypt it with a ridiculously long password string, that is based off some famous phrase written in 1337. Do not network it, no intarweb, just have it tally the votes in a single area each, and display to the local official what the tally is. If desired, they can "manually" sort through each vote in the system.

It's not hack-proof, but I still bet it's more reliable than, "is this chad punched or not?"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kilgore



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 2833
Location: Portland, Or

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a shame they didn't ask you.
_________________
"Whatever afflicts thee, their asses I shall kick"

-Slick
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Him



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 4189
Location: On edge

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kilgore wrote:
jeep wrote:
andrew wrote:


Rolling Eyes


Oh damnit you're right i forgot... Round up the crazy fundementalists and rednecks to vote and disgust the rest of the population into not voting...

How could i have forgotten something so simple?


If the rest of the population (could you call them the silent majority?) isn't voting out of disgust, they deserve the government they get.
Well, they aren't actively acting to overthrow the goverment.
_________________
A cigarette is the perfect type of a perfect pleasure. It is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied. What more can one want? ~Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Feiticeira



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 1774

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him wrote:
Kilgore wrote:
If the rest of the population (could you call them the silent majority?) isn't voting out of disgust, they deserve the government they get.
Well, they aren't actively acting to overthrow the goverment.


Neither are you, you just wish you were.

jeep wrote:
but kame, my man, if the voting machines actually recorded the truth...

how would any republican's get elected?


What is this America you live in where Republicans are the minority and plurals require apostrophes?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Snorri



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 10878
Location: hiding the decline.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him wrote:
Kilgore wrote:
jeep wrote:
andrew wrote:


Rolling Eyes


Oh damnit you're right i forgot... Round up the crazy fundementalists and rednecks to vote and disgust the rest of the population into not voting...

How could i have forgotten something so simple?


If the rest of the population (could you call them the silent majority?) isn't voting out of disgust, they deserve the government they get.
Well, they aren't actively acting to overthrow the goverment.


I would say that was Kilgore's point.
_________________

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mouse



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 17206
Location: under the bed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kame wrote:
This could be easily solved in two ways:

An actual paper printout of the voting, so if the votes disagree with early exit polling to a startling degree, a manual recount can be taken.

Properly programmed machines.


well, california is using new machines that print a paper record of your vote, that you can check over before you submit the vote - we will see how that works.

the only problem is, they used them in the primary, and in the polling place where i was working, it took over an hour to get the silly thing started....

i don't understand what the problem was with optical scan ballots. you are clear on who you voted for, there's a a paper ballot available for recounts, and even if the scanner goes down, people can still vote.
_________________
aka: neverscared!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Him



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 4189
Location: On edge

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feiticeira wrote:
Him wrote:
Kilgore wrote:
If the rest of the population (could you call them the silent majority?) isn't voting out of disgust, they deserve the government they get.
Well, they aren't actively acting to overthrow the goverment.


Neither are you, you just wish you were.
Hey, I voted. Besides I do, somewhat.
_________________
A cigarette is the perfect type of a perfect pleasure. It is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied. What more can one want? ~Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kilgore



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 2833
Location: Portland, Or

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him wrote:
Feiticeira wrote:
Him wrote:
Kilgore wrote:
If the rest of the population (could you call them the silent majority?) isn't voting out of disgust, they deserve the government they get.
Well, they aren't actively acting to overthrow the goverment.


Neither are you, you just wish you were.
Hey, I voted. Besides I do, somewhat.


You can't actively overthrow the government, somewhat. Either you're doing it or you aren't. "Sticking it to the man" by parking illegally, making obscene gestures at police officers, and posting long shitty essays on online forums doesn't make you a revolutionary, it just makes you a jackass.
_________________
"Whatever afflicts thee, their asses I shall kick"

-Slick
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group