welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

An urge to build a small trebuchet....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
E-boy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: An urge to build a small trebuchet.... Reply with quote

Been thinking about this for a bit actually. Just a matter of making the time and buying the materials...

I like doing stuff that's fun, and instructive of basic science with my boys, so I thought this might be our next Fun with Science project.

Here's the plans I was looking at.

http://www.ripcord.ws/plans/plans.html
Michael

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't even have to look at those plans to know it will be awesome.

Trebuchet! Just say it out loud a few times...

Hey E-boy! Whatya buildin'?
mm? 'snothing, just my TREBUCHET
Xavyor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oig-GaDBKt8

Warwick Castle Trebuchet

Oh hells yeah
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only flaw i see is that it is designed only to fling tennis balls. we need to come up with something _much_ more entertaining than that to fling.
Halen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Warwick trebuchet is anything but small...
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why small?

Oh, and fling water balloons that have been frozen.

ashcraftthepirate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by ashcraftthepirate on Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: An urge to build a small trebuchet.... Reply with quote

E-boy wrote:
Been thinking about this for a bit actually. Just a matter of making the time and buying the materials...

I like doing stuff that's fun, and instructive of basic science with my boys, so I thought this might be our next Fun with Science project.

Did you catch that VW un-pimp my ride commercial again? Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
timmccloud

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: An urge to build a small trebuchet.... Reply with quote

E-boy wrote:

Oh, that is just AWESOME! I want to build one now to throw tennis balls for my dog.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now, if you have a small enough dog, you could rig up a really cool double-shot system - one for the tennis ball, one for the dog....
E-boy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Mouse, I went with small because I thought it might limit the trouble my kidlets could cause with it.

For a similar reason I avoided going with the 300 MPH potato gun. I have the plans for it, and it's an easier build than the Trebuchet, but I've seen what a potato gun can do and I'm leery about giving the teenagers too many ideas (as they could easily duplicate the design on their own unsupervised).

We made a tennis ball cannon when I was a kid that nearly set the neighborhood on fire a few times (the tennis balls would come out on fire....).

A guy at work got his ass beat THREE (count 'em folks) times for misuse of a tuber thrower. He fired it at his neighbors chicken wire fence thinking that would stop the potato.... Nope. Just made high speed french fries. A group of such chunks took out the front window, then the back window, then the poor dog.... First the neighbor lady came out and wailed on him, then dragging him into his own house, throwing him at his mother's feet and repeating his crimes. Then his mother beat him..... Naturally, she had to share the news with dad when he got home.... Yeah, sounds like an ugly scene to me.

I'll stick with table top siege engines with my kids.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooooo - that works fine! you can shoot monopoly markers - you know, the top hat, the shoe, the little dog...

and tennis balls come out of a tennis cannon on fire??? from the propellant or the friction or what?

....clearly, i failed to properly misspend my youth.

(and yeah, you need someplace nice and open and uninhabited to do that sort of thing. the guys i knew who made a potato gun fired it out over a canyon.)
AfyonBlade

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prepare to spend a lot of time messing with the release hook. Messing with that hook can affect your range by huge amounts. Really fun stuff.

I had one that could put a raquetball the length of a football field, and put it within a 3 foot radius every time.

Was good practice. Smile
Be Evil.
Michael

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
ooooo - that works fine! you can shoot monopoly markers - you know, the top hat, the shoe, the little dog...

and tennis balls come out of a tennis cannon on fire??? from the propellant or the friction or what?

....clearly, i failed to properly misspend my youth.

(and yeah, you need someplace nice and open and uninhabited to do that sort of thing. the guys i knew who made a potato gun fired it out over a canyon.)

MONOPOLY!
classmate o' mine came to school today carring a CHOCOLATE MONOPOLY SET in a plastic bag for his girlfriend.
Naturally everybody eyed it jealously thinking of their imminent SIX HOUR MAKEOUT

DAMN YOU CHOCOLATE MONOPOLY! DAMN YOU!
sporko

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a kid i knew in high school accidentally hit a wild pheasant with a potato gun =/ (i think it was mostly okay)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: