welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tat is a Christian?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
timmccloud

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xilonen wrote:
MellowFish wrote:
I really can't see tat as an atheist: he has too much respect for his Deity character (yes I know he makes fun of him)

you can be an atheist and have respect for the belief in a higher power.

You are confusing Athiest with Agnostic. An atheist by definition does not believe in a higher power. A agnostic is skeptical, and may believe in a higher power (or god) but not in any form of organized religion.

God. I agreed with Mellofish. I feel unclean...
Dro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can be an athiest and respect that others may believe.
MellowFish

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timmccloud wrote:
God. I agreed with Mellofish. I feel unclean...

Dont worry, a broken clock is right twice a day. If it's lucky. I'm just glad I'm not a digital clock.
timmccloud

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dro wrote:
You can be an athiest and respect that others may believe.

Oh absloutely. I did not read the statement with that emphasis, I read that we were talking about personal belief. With your reading, you are absolutely correct.
Froggums

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Mellowfish and Timmccloud-

An Athiest can still respect what they think a deity represents, even though they don't beleive the deity actually exists. I don't have to believe in the Christian God to know that some aspects of the religion he represents are good for society.

Disbeleif in a deity is not the same as disrespect for the religion.
MellowFish

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Froggums wrote:
To Mellowfish and Timmccloud-

An Athiest can still respect what they think a deity represents, even though they don't beleive the deity actually exists. I don't have to believe in the Christian God to know that some aspects of the religion he represents are good for society.

Disbeleif in a deity is not the same as disrespect for the religion.

Never said it was: I just said that if you acknowledge the diety by respecting him as a character you cannot be an athiest.
Dro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tat acknowledged Batman today when he referenced the Batmobile with the Buddhacar... and yet, I doubt he actually thinks Batman exists.
MellowFish

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dro wrote:
Tat acknowledged Batman today when he referenced the Batmobile with the Buddhacar... and yet, I doubt he actually thinks Batman exists.

yes, but I wouldn't call tat an "a-batman-ist" either. And batman is know to be a fictional character, where god is only suspected to be fictional. AND more importantly, his comment and response had nothing to do with that line of logic.
Froggums

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MellowFish wrote:
Never said it was: I just said that if you acknowledge the diety by respecting him as a character you cannot be an athiest.

Yes you can.
The key here is that the God character is just that- a character. The character may be similar to the Christian God, but it is NOT the Christian God, it is a fictional character that Tat draws. You can respect a character without actually believing the character is real.
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MellowFish wrote:
And batman is know to be a fictional character, where god is only suspected to be fictional.

There is no difference in the practical application.
MellowFish

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasairfiona wrote:
MellowFish wrote:
And batman is know to be a fictional character, where god is only suspected to be fictional.

There is no difference in the practical application.

Oh, really? So there is no practical difference between treating mickey mouse and donald trump as real characters in a satirical comic?
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are being treated as characters in a comic. What I was saying is that the fictional is the important part. Whether you suspect something is fictional or know something is fictional, you still treat it as fictional. Alternatively, if you know or suspect something is true you treat it as if it is true.

But when you suspect and someone asks, you have to back it up with proof or admit that you only suspect. Faith is important but when proof is asked, you have to back yourself up or argue that proof isn't needed.

kame

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MellowFish wrote:
Dro wrote:

yes, but I wouldn't call tat an "a-batman-ist" either. And batman is know to be a fictional character, where god is only suspected to be fictional. AND more importantly, his comment and response had nothing to do with that line of logic.

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong! There is a minute possibility that Batman does exist, it just so happens to be as infintesimally small as a Christian God.

Now the Flying Spaghetti Monster, that's fact! Razz
MellowFish

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kame wrote:
MellowFish wrote:
Dro wrote:

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong! There is a minute possibility that Batman does exist, it just so happens to be as infintesimally small as a Christian God.

Now the Flying Spaghetti Monster, that's fact! Razz

Nice, kame. Ok, point taken, I rescind my statement in light of the overwhelming evidence. How do you feel about an attempt to prove god's exsistence in one of the discussion threads?
kame

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been there, done that, realized that the question itself isn't even worth considering.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: