welcome to the fest
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tat is a Christian?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
timmccloud



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 633
Location: Marshall, Wisconsin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xilonen wrote:
MellowFish wrote:
I really can't see tat as an atheist: he has too much respect for his Deity character (yes I know he makes fun of him)


you can be an atheist and have respect for the belief in a higher power.


You are confusing Athiest with Agnostic. An atheist by definition does not believe in a higher power. A agnostic is skeptical, and may believe in a higher power (or god) but not in any form of organized religion.

God. I agreed with Mellofish. I feel unclean...
_________________
Wow. Tatsuya is god. Or the dragon...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Dro



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 3859

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can be an athiest and respect that others may believe.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MellowFish



Joined: 30 Sep 2006
Posts: 755
Location: The Train to Gloryland

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timmccloud wrote:
God. I agreed with Mellofish. I feel unclean...


Dont worry, a broken clock is right twice a day. If it's lucky. I'm just glad I'm not a digital clock.
_________________
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. -- Frederick Douglass
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
timmccloud



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 633
Location: Marshall, Wisconsin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dro wrote:
You can be an athiest and respect that others may believe.


Oh absloutely. I did not read the statement with that emphasis, I read that we were talking about personal belief. With your reading, you are absolutely correct.
_________________
Wow. Tatsuya is god. Or the dragon...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Froggums



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 384
Location: Coeur d'Alene

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Mellowfish and Timmccloud-

An Athiest can still respect what they think a deity represents, even though they don't beleive the deity actually exists. I don't have to believe in the Christian God to know that some aspects of the religion he represents are good for society.

Disbeleif in a deity is not the same as disrespect for the religion.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MellowFish



Joined: 30 Sep 2006
Posts: 755
Location: The Train to Gloryland

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Froggums wrote:
To Mellowfish and Timmccloud-

An Athiest can still respect what they think a deity represents, even though they don't beleive the deity actually exists. I don't have to believe in the Christian God to know that some aspects of the religion he represents are good for society.

Disbeleif in a deity is not the same as disrespect for the religion.


Never said it was: I just said that if you acknowledge the diety by respecting him as a character you cannot be an athiest.
_________________
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. -- Frederick Douglass
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Dro



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 3859

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tat acknowledged Batman today when he referenced the Batmobile with the Buddhacar... and yet, I doubt he actually thinks Batman exists.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MellowFish



Joined: 30 Sep 2006
Posts: 755
Location: The Train to Gloryland

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dro wrote:
Tat acknowledged Batman today when he referenced the Batmobile with the Buddhacar... and yet, I doubt he actually thinks Batman exists.


yes, but I wouldn't call tat an "a-batman-ist" either. And batman is know to be a fictional character, where god is only suspected to be fictional. AND more importantly, his comment and response had nothing to do with that line of logic.
_________________
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. -- Frederick Douglass
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Froggums



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 384
Location: Coeur d'Alene

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MellowFish wrote:
Never said it was: I just said that if you acknowledge the diety by respecting him as a character you cannot be an athiest.


Yes you can.
The key here is that the God character is just that- a character. The character may be similar to the Christian God, but it is NOT the Christian God, it is a fictional character that Tat draws. You can respect a character without actually believing the character is real.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lasairfiona



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 9702
Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MellowFish wrote:
And batman is know to be a fictional character, where god is only suspected to be fictional.

There is no difference in the practical application.
_________________
Before God created Las he pondered on all the aspects a woman might have, he considered which ones would look good super-inflated and which ones to leave alone.
After much deliberation he gave her a giant comfort zone. - Michael
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MellowFish



Joined: 30 Sep 2006
Posts: 755
Location: The Train to Gloryland

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasairfiona wrote:
MellowFish wrote:
And batman is know to be a fictional character, where god is only suspected to be fictional.

There is no difference in the practical application.


Oh, really? So there is no practical difference between treating mickey mouse and donald trump as real characters in a satirical comic?
_________________
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. -- Frederick Douglass
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Lasairfiona



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 9702
Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are being treated as characters in a comic. What I was saying is that the fictional is the important part. Whether you suspect something is fictional or know something is fictional, you still treat it as fictional. Alternatively, if you know or suspect something is true you treat it as if it is true.

But when you suspect and someone asks, you have to back it up with proof or admit that you only suspect. Faith is important but when proof is asked, you have to back yourself up or argue that proof isn't needed.

_________________
Before God created Las he pondered on all the aspects a woman might have, he considered which ones would look good super-inflated and which ones to leave alone.
After much deliberation he gave her a giant comfort zone. - Michael
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kame



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 2565
Location: Alba Nuadh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MellowFish wrote:
Dro wrote:
Tat acknowledged Batman today when he referenced the Batmobile with the Buddhacar... and yet, I doubt he actually thinks Batman exists.


yes, but I wouldn't call tat an "a-batman-ist" either. And batman is know to be a fictional character, where god is only suspected to be fictional. AND more importantly, his comment and response had nothing to do with that line of logic.


Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong! There is a minute possibility that Batman does exist, it just so happens to be as infintesimally small as a Christian God.

Now the Flying Spaghetti Monster, that's fact! Razz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
MellowFish



Joined: 30 Sep 2006
Posts: 755
Location: The Train to Gloryland

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kame wrote:
MellowFish wrote:
Dro wrote:
Tat acknowledged Batman today when he referenced the Batmobile with the Buddhacar... and yet, I doubt he actually thinks Batman exists.


yes, but I wouldn't call tat an "a-batman-ist" either. And batman is know to be a fictional character, where god is only suspected to be fictional. AND more importantly, his comment and response had nothing to do with that line of logic.


Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong! There is a minute possibility that Batman does exist, it just so happens to be as infintesimally small as a Christian God.

Now the Flying Spaghetti Monster, that's fact! Razz


Nice, kame. Ok, point taken, I rescind my statement in light of the overwhelming evidence. How do you feel about an attempt to prove god's exsistence in one of the discussion threads?
_________________
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. -- Frederick Douglass
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
kame



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 2565
Location: Alba Nuadh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been there, done that, realized that the question itself isn't even worth considering.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group