welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tat is a Christian?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Major Tom

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

generally, i take the rhodes less travelled
QuoVadis

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that, or just a delusional egoist.
Major Tom

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, that
WhupAs101

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This really goes in the other thread, but since there are 3 threads that have the same theme, I don't think it matters. Besides, it references some stuff in here. Sorry to take up space that should be used for post-whoring. Sad
Inept Villain wrote:
A bunch

I'm down with the idea of all of that, but I also believe in God, and think Jesus had the right idea with the whole "don't be a dick" thing (I say that knowing that I'm horribly offending someone now, apologies in advance for typing what I think). I don't disregard the whole Christ/died for the sins/rose from the dead thing, but I don't use it as a basis for my beliefs either. I acknowledge it's possible, I also acknowledge that there might be extremely intelligent life on other planets and that there are psychic powers and ghosts and whatever other unprovable shit there is that you see on TV. I don't know the truth, and since it's something I won't find out until I'm dead, I don't pretend to know everything about it.

I think a higher power/deity/delicious noodle exists, just because it makes sense to me that one does. I can see that a little easier than I can "random shit = poof, I'm here". So yeah, God. Lightning bolts and turning people to salt and giving the only son etc? Sure, maybe, who cares? God might have told the dude to go up on the hill and sacrifice his son, then said "psyche". Or maybe dude ate some bad fish that day and heard crazy shit, then passed on the story. Either way, irrelevant to how we treat each other while we're here. If God is a vengeful fucker, then I guess I'll deal with that when the time comes and I have pineapples shoved in my butt for eternity. I won't do the right thing out of fear, because then, you're only doing it to benefit yourself. Which, as I was brought up, is the wrong reason to do something.

Regarding Jesus, sure, maybe he was Gods mini-me and maybe he was just a fruitcake who thought he was something special. Or maybe he just got screwed with when they did his biography, and he was just a hippie who went around teaching his ideas to people. Honestly, I'm never gonna know, and I don't care. When I read about him promoting being humble and turning the other cheek, and "walk a mile with your enemy" and all that other neato new-age jazz, I think "cool". I agree with it. I think if more people had an attitude based off of what were supposedly his teachings (Gospels), we'd all be a lot less uptight and the species might bother to advance a little faster. At least, you know, a little faster in things not W.M.D. related.

I pay attention to the Gospels, just because, as I said, a lot of it makes sense to me. Cue the hardcore atheists and fundies: "You can't pick and choose what you believe in, if you believe in the Bible, you believe in the whole thing". Horseshit. If I read something by Thomas Jefferson or Mark Twain or Malcom X or Ghandi or _____, and I see an idea that I like and that I agree with, do I have to instantly agree with everything else that's written? A good idea is a good idea no matter where it comes from. I might gain an insight from Sinfest or Penny Arcade, of all places, but that doesn't mean that I have to agree with everything Tat puts in his comics or agree that throwing a baby in a cage with a rhino (classic PA) is a neat idea. If you read the Bible and you get a good idea, you get a good idea. Doesn't matter if the rest of it seems silly to you, the idea that you agree with is still an idea that you agree with. That might make me a bad Christian, but honestly I only call myself that to get across the idea of how I was brought up. I'm not really a Christian so much as "just me". Unfortunately, only about half of the people that ask "what faith are you" give me the comprehending "oh-ho, a wise answer grasshoppa" grin when I respond with "I'm Thomas". The other look at me dumbfounded, "Uhm, k, but what faith are you?" look. So, generic Christian response.

I think that anyone who thinks they know everything because it's either written in the Bible or because "God told them in their heart" is sort of silly. There's always room for error. Anything is possible. Putting all your stock in Heaven or Hell or placing everything with the idea that once we die, we rot is a bad idea. We don't know. We all have ideas, we all think that one way or another makes the most sense. I believe in a God and I believe that Jesus was more than likely a cool guy, divine or not.

Mellow believes that the Bible is pretty dead on when it comes to, well, everything. Hardcore atheists believe neither. A lot of atheists who argued with Mellow came off as judgemental dicks, whether they meant to or not. Does that mean that all atheists are dicks? No, a lot of them are probably just mellowed out guys and gals who want to enjoy life while they can. The same way that not all Christians are judgemental assholes.

In short, stop fucking generalizing everyone, fundies and atheists. Respond to the individual person, not to the religion in general.

Also, I am TOTALLY an abatmanist.

(I had all that typed out before I realized it's kind of irrelevant. But damnit, I typed it, so I post it. Mad )
MellowFish

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Secret wrote:
Satire is dead. Confused

My point was to draw a mocking comparison between this instance and those "faith-based" instances.

I knew that. I was being sardonic back.
MellowFish

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhupAs101 wrote:
a bunch

well said, and I will try not to generalize (too much) in the future.
Yarko

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If there is any truth, it will be God himself.
What kind of moronic statement is that? If there is no god, what does he have to do with truth?
Him

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOD IS TRUTH: He invented the world, thus he also invented truth. With which he can do as he like. Logic is just liberal atheist propaganda.
Zonedout

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea exactly dont think, let the church thing for you.

Remember Love others Love oneself
Twister87

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MellowFish

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zonedout wrote:
Yea exactly dont think, let the church thing for you.

Great idea, off to a crusade...
Singularity.X

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, been a long time reasder of Tat's Sinfest, and a long time lurker of the forums. I registered today because I just read WhupAs101's post, and believe he did not get near enough credit for it.

I want it known that you, in effect, summed up almost all of my thoughts on the world, and everything beyond it.

Anywho, I might post here and there in the forums, but I'm not typically one for staying in forums for very long.

Ta
WhupAs101

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome.
Yarko

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I registered today because I just read WhupAs101's post, and believe he did not get near enough credit for it.

Perhaps no one gave a shit? I know I didn't.

And WhupAs101, if you posted that internet handjob under another profile, shame.
Teh Digital Dragon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave a shit, I thought what he said made a lot of sense.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: