welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buddha signal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MellowFish

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xilonen wrote:
that doesn't make the response to his avatar NOT hypocracy. it's just a cheap justification for it.

Oh, sorry, I didn't try to address that. There is no hippocracy, I chose my avatar becuase I like being blunt. I dont like lil evil for the reason stated, I think he is as superficial and fake as seymour. It may be ironic that my avatar is huey, but not hypocritical.
MellowFish

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: except for peyote, that shit's godly Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
Quote:
in addition, smoking, drinking in excess, and doing drugs are all in violation of the first commandment: you are putting a substance in god's rightful place in your life, trusting to it for comfort instead of him.

When you consume recreational drugs, you're not replacing god with them. It's not a religious act.

You're consuming a substance which affects organic chemistry.

Read to the end of the sentence before posting please: you are going to drugs for comfort when it only can be found in god.
death_to_dib

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no its your name thats hypocritical man youve been anything but mellow on this forum.
MellowFish

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

death_to_dib wrote:
no its your name thats hypocritical man youve been anything but mellow on this forum.

MellowFish was a joke from a while ago when people said I was the most tolerant chiristian they knew. It has stuck and wont be changing, no matter how hyppocritical people may think it is. It is and was a reference to my day to day actions, not my radical views posted here.
Inept Villain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MellowFish wrote:

The picture is funny, it's the character of Lil evil that raises the heckles.
Why? It's just a picture. Lil Evil is a humorous character, and it's well known that the antagonist always has the most interesting personality.

MellowFish wrote:

The people god destroyed in the bible had rejected him, and so were destined for hell anyway. He got rid of them to display his power and to remind his faithful not to turn away.

So let me get this straight. You're totally cool with wholesale slaughter, as long as it serves your purposes? God created life, and then he had the HUBRIS to pick and choose what he liked. Not only that, but he brought down terrible, unfeeling fury upon that which he claimed to LOVE five seconds earlier. What a crock. God is the hypocrite here, since he's so co-dependant he needs people to love him or DIE. No, not just die, but suffer forever. I'd say God is giving off a pretty evil vibe there, wouldn't you?

MellowFish wrote:

If you think you are doing well on our own you are not being honest with yourself. I am saved from sin and I still screw up daily. Dont think you are any better than me!

I don't believe in God because I don't need him to be a good person. It's quite petty of you to claim that i'm not being honest with myself, simply because I seem content with a life that is different from yours. In truth, I do not think I am superior to you in any way. Whatever you choose to think, I encourage. My goal is to learn from you, and assimilate the things which work for you into my own life. God definitely isn't among those-- but i'm sure you have more to offer. Intellectually. You have my respect, and my admiration for following your beliefs (especially against strong opposition.) I don't have any credit to give to your faith, I attribute your happiness and your resolve to you, and not God. That's just my own perspective though.
Xilonen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: except for peyote, that shit's godly Reply with quote

MellowFish wrote:
Sam wrote:
Quote:
in addition, smoking, drinking in excess, and doing drugs are all in violation of the first commandment: you are putting a substance in god's rightful place in your life, trusting to it for comfort instead of him.

When you consume recreational drugs, you're not replacing god with them. It's not a religious act.

You're consuming a substance which affects organic chemistry.

Read to the end of the sentence before posting please: you are going to drugs for comfort when it only can be found in god.

this is an excellent argument against hugs as well. damn those huggers!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MellowFish

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inept Villain wrote:
So let me get this straight. You're totally cool with wholesale slaughter, as long as it serves your purposes? God created life, and then he had the HUBRIS to pick and choose what he liked. Not only that, but he brought down terrible, unfeeling fury upon that which he claimed to LOVE five seconds earlier. What a crock. God is the hypocrite here, since he's so co-dependant he needs people to love him or DIE. No, not just die, but suffer forever. I'd say God is giving off a pretty evil vibe there, wouldn't you?

I accept that god kills people to serve his purpose, I would not kill anyone to serve mine, because that would be to put myself in god's place.

God appears to be a gentleman at first glance: He gives us all the time we need to accept him, until we have made a descision, through action or inaction not to. Then it is only by his mercy that we exist in his once perfect creation called earth. When it will help the people who have or are going to accpt him, he removes us from this planet and leaves us in hell, a place where he is absent as we have so foolishly wantd to believe.
Quote:

I don't believe in God because I don't need him to be a good person. It's quite petty of you to claim that i'm not being honest with myself, simply because I seem content with a life that is different from yours. In truth, I do not think I am superior to you in any way. Whatever you choose to think, I encourage. My goal is to learn from you, and assimilate the things which work for you into my own life. God definitely isn't among those-- but i'm sure you have more to offer. Intellectually. You have my respect, and my admiration for following your beliefs (especially against strong opposition.) I don't have any credit to give to your faith, I attribute your happiness and your resolve to you, and not God. That's just my own perspective though.

Nothing you do is turly good unless it fall in line with his will. Even as a christian, if I volunteer to make myself ffel like I am having an impact, it is wasted and of no value. It is only when I do work for his glory that I can call an action good.
death_to_dib

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Twain just rose up from the grave to strike this damn thing down. HEED THE ZOMBIE TWAIN!!!

Mark Twain wrote:
To create man was a fine and original idea; but to add the sheep was a tautology.

Mark Twain wrote:
When I, a thoughtful and unblessed Presbyterian, examine the Koran, I know that beyond any question every Mohammedan is insane, not in all things, but in religious matters. When a thoughtful and unblessed Mohammedan examines the Westminster Catechism, he knows that beyond any question I am spiritually insane. I cannot prove to him that he is insane, because you never can prove anything to a lunatic—for that is a part of his insanity and the evidence of it. He cannot prove to me that I am insane, for my mind has the same defect that afflicts his... When I look around me, I am often troubled to see how many people are mad.

Mark Twain wrote:
Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.

And this one pretty much sums up my thoughts on religion altogether

Mark Twain wrote:
Jesus died to save men -- a small thing for an immortal to do, and didn't save many, anyway; but if he had been damned for the race that would have been act of a size proper to a god, and would have saved the whole race. However, why should anybody want to save the human race, or damn it either? Does God want its society? Does Satan?

Also if this next one is true... Sam dropped a fucking nuke on our asses. (seeing as hes been mostly content to sit back and laugh at us all.)

Mark Twain wrote:
race, in its poverty, has unquestionably one really effective weapon--laughter.

I thought this might help gain some ground with mellow... as obviously neither of us can think for ourselves.

Last edited by death_to_dib on Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:17 am; edited 1 time in total
MellowFish

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: except for peyote, that shit's godly Reply with quote

Xilonen wrote:

People are good's intsruments through which he display's his love. So hugging is great if you are doing it to show god's love through yours.
Sam

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:19 am    Post subject: Re: except for peyote, that shit's godly Reply with quote

MellowFish wrote:

Thanks for insinuating pointlessly that I don't read your posts.

No, but seriously. What is it about psychoactive substances that can only be found in God? Why can't I get buzzed on caffeine without committing a sacrilegious act?
Xilonen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: except for peyote, that shit's godly Reply with quote

MellowFish wrote:
Xilonen wrote:

People are good's intsruments through which he display's his love. So hugging is great if you are doing it to show god's love through yours.

this is a very big jump from the first commandment. really. like, huge. i can't even SEE the first commandment from here anymore. somehow we went from "Thou shalt not have any gods before me" to "thou shalt not be comforted by anything other than the sheer love and grace of god, be he willing to bestow it." i fail to see how drugs, hugs, and teddy bears displace god in the faithful. seeking physical comfort is natural, and it would take a pretty weak minded christian to start worshipping a comforting hug from a friend.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sam

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:29 am    Post subject: is popcorn psychoactive? Reply with quote

I know! It's just so inferred, even from a strictly theological perspective.

What I really want to see addressed is where the delineations come in. I can not wait for caffeine to be fine and tobacco ungodly, by means of some Byzantine re-interpretation of the First Commandment. We already have an apparent point where getting sauced is fine, but getting smashed is sacrilegious.
Xilonen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and here i thought it was pretty much directly aimed at the jews' polytheistic oppressors, the egyptians!
Froggums

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MellowFish wrote:
...in addition, smoking, drinking in excess, and doing drugs are all in violation of the first commandment: you are putting a substance in god's rightful place in your life, trusting to it for comfort instead of him.

You are making quite the assumption there! What makes you think you know every drug user's reason for using? Personally, I smoke weed from time to time. I don't need it, I don't use it to cope with(or avoid) reality, it isn't for comfort. I do it for the same reason I read books or watch movies, it is enjoyable for me.

There is a significant difference beteween simply using a drug and abusing said drug. Alcohol is a drug like any other, why do you give it the distinction of use being ok but excess being bad?
Xilonen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not to mention alcohol is pretty damaging to the sacred temple. so even taking that first criteria (before the drugs = replacement god argument) i'm not sure how alcohol is exempt from god's wrath. pot is mild by comparison.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: