welcome to the fest
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

questions
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
rm



Joined: 25 Jul 2006
Posts: 4073

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject: questions Reply with quote

are you prepared for the end of the world? is it ending?
do we think human beings matter because we are human beings?
do you create things that reflect the opinions of a moral or immoral majority or minority?
do you want information to be entertaining, unless it is news of an extremely serious nature?
at what point does pathos become self-aggrandizing and overdone?
are funerals a waste of time?
are you for the machine or against it? does it entertain you sometimes? is there a machine?
do you honestly feel like you are part of the solution, or at least not contributing to any known problems? what is your part?
do you just go about your business?
are you investing money for the future? buying property?
borrowing invisible cash by the truckload?
do you ever feel guilty about the role you play in your society, even though you are a conscientious yet hapless participant in it?
does every vote really count?
is abstinence ever a non-viable option?
is your main goal in life to raise a family, or to enjoy your own life to the fullest?
is it selfish to consider yourself the most important person in the world...
at least until you have a kid by accident?
at what point does life begin? at what point does that life stop being your responsibility?
do you think about god? does a belief in the afterlife have any effect on how you live your current life?
would you rather completely change one persons situation for the better or effect millions of people from a position of remote control?
if you were a movie star would you use your money and popularity for good causes, or would you become a recluse?
do you ever fantasize about being something you are not? why?
do you think everything everyone besides yourself does is a cop out?
is sex cheap? beauty overrated? brains misused?
why is intelligence so highly rated when it really has no bearing on ethical or moral behavior?
do you watch late night TV for conspiracy clue-ins?
do you keep a journal for the cops or your parents to find... afterwards?
do you step outside to take deep breaths every half hour?
are you waiting for the aliens to take you?
do smiles come too easily when you see something honestly refreshing,
like a colorful bird or a flower in the pavement?
do you wish people would paint their houses more often?
shouldn't there be more free, public art?
does it ever cross your mind unless someone brings it up?
shouldn't all of us focus all our energies on solving the big problems?
is there such a thing as too much information?
how often can you do good deeds for other people without becoming a martyr?
do you ever wish everyone would just die, or just you?
when you see a couple drive by with eight children do you get upset?
is it disapproval or jealousy that makes you form negative opinions?
is it envy or pride that forms positive ones? or jealousy?
is it possible for good to come of evil, or evil to come of good?
do you ever want to make that decision?
is true love solely the perogative of lovers?
is addictive behavior indicative of psychological problems?
can and should they be fixed? what is a human being?
does our survival as a species depend upon our knowledge of our origins?
is it simply a matter of peace?
is sexual passion always short-lived?
is rock and roll a creator of stereotypes?
is any form of creative expression a creator of stereotypes?
is honesty always the best policy? is silence dishonest?
do you ever wonder what the real reasons are for your behavior?
what creates the urge for people to want to know things that are beyond their mental capacity?
why do we believe in things we cannot sense?
how is it even possible? do you think it serves a purpose?
is evolution always right?
do you believe in rhyme and reason?
are you the master or the slave of that paradigm?
do you really think life is but a dream?
is it important to be sentimental? does it serve some purpose?
are animals really sinless? what seperates humans from the animals?
is it important to know that? do you think we can ever actually be sinless again? can we atone?
can we at least find a way not to exterminate ourselves?
why are people self-destructive?
why do some people go out of their way to save others?
is there such a thing as a truly selfless act?
is that important or necessary?
are you anything but flesh?
_________________
...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mouse



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 17047
Location: under the bed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: questions Reply with quote

rm wrote:
are you prepared for the end of the world? is it ending?

no, and no.
Quote:
do we think human beings matter because we are human beings?

yes.
Quote:
do you create things that reflect the opinions of a moral or immoral majority or minority?

i create pots. and socks. sometimes i do a little embroidery. they are pretty much morality- and opinion-free.
Quote:
do you want information to be entertaining, unless it is news of an extremely serious nature?

well, a little humor never hurts, but you can't lose sight of the main objective.
Quote:
at what point does pathos become self-aggrandizing and overdone?
almost immediately.
Quote:
are funerals a waste of time?
for the deceased, yes. for the survivers, not necessarily.
Quote:
are you for the machine or against it? does it entertain you sometimes? is there a machine?
i am not at all mechanically oriented, so i try to keep out of the machine's line of sight.
Quote:
do you honestly feel like you are part of the solution, or at least not contributing to any known problems? what is your part?

yes, just a small part. my part is to analyze data honestly, to live politely, and to speak kindly to all animals (particulary cats).
Quote:
do you just go about your business?
only when working for my friend, the small-business owner.
Quote:
are you investing money for the future? buying property?
borrowing invisible cash by the truckload?
yes, yes, and yes. (finances are _complicated_)
Quote:
do you ever feel guilty about the role you play in your society, even though you are a conscientious yet hapless participant in it?
yes. mostly at 3 am.
Quote:
does every vote really count?
YES. even if only in your conscience.
Quote:
is abstinence ever a non-viable option?
...i'm trying to decide if i can abstain from that....
Quote:
is your main goal in life to raise a family, or to enjoy your own life to the fullest?
kinda missed on the family one, so i'm just trying to enjoy life myself.
Quote:
is it selfish to consider yourself the most important person in the world...
at least until you have a kid by accident?
depends on the context - no, actually, one should never consider oneself the most important, but sometime you have to act like it.
Quote:
at what point does life begin? at what point does that life stop being your responsibility?
it begins with birth. and it stops being your responsibility when it reaches the age of reason (of course, not everyone does).
Quote:
do you think about god? does a belief in the afterlife have any effect on how you live your current life?
i think about god(s) although i don't believe in them. and my belief that there is no afterlife certainly does affect how i live my current one, since i believe it is the only one i get.
Quote:
would you rather completely change one persons situation for the better or effect millions of people from a position of remote control?
millions.
Quote:
if you were a movie star would you use your money and popularity for good causes, or would you become a recluse?
both.
Quote:
do you ever fantasize about being something you are not? why?
absolutely. why not?
Quote:
do you think everything everyone besides yourself does is a cop out?
only sometimes.
Quote:
is sex cheap? beauty overrated? brains misused?
in some countries, in some contexts, and in a depressingly large amount of politics.
Quote:
why is intelligence so highly rated when it really has no bearing on ethical or moral behavior?
because it gives us the ability to reason our way out of behaving morally and/or ethically?
Quote:
do you watch late night TV for conspiracy clue-ins?
no
Quote:
do you keep a journal for the cops or your parents to find... afterwards?
i keep a journal, but i don't expect anyone to be interested enough to read it. besides, i have terrible handwriting.
Quote:
do you step outside to take deep breaths every half hour?
damn, that's a good idea!
Quote:
are you waiting for the aliens to take you?
illegal or space?
Quote:
do smiles come too easily when you see something honestly refreshing,
like a colorful bird or a flower in the pavement?
no - they come _appropriately_.
Quote:
do you wish people would paint their houses more often?
well, not if they keep painting them those boring neutral shades.
Quote:
shouldn't there be more free, public art?
yes
Quote:
does it ever cross your mind unless someone brings it up?
what, the art?
Quote:
shouldn't all of us focus all our energies on solving the big problems?
nah - you gotta spend some time enjoying the occasional small solution.
Quote:
is there such a thing as too much information?
only about "celebrities"
Quote:
how often can you do good deeds for other people without becoming a martyr?
forever, if you keep them small enough.
Quote:
do you ever wish everyone would just die, or just you?
just after elections.
Quote:
when you see a couple drive by with eight children do you get upset?
can't say as i've seen that.
Quote:
is it disapproval or jealousy that makes you form negative opinions?
well, i do tend to disapprove of people who are jealous of me (no matter how much reason they may have).
Quote:
is it envy or pride that forms positive ones? or jealousy?
more a sense of humor, i think.
Quote:
is it possible for good to come of evil, or evil to come of good?
oh yeah.
Quote:
do you ever want to make that decision?
which one?
Quote:
is true love solely the perogative of lovers?
no.
Quote:
is addictive behavior indicative of psychological problems?
i'm starting to think addictively answering all these questions is....
Quote:
can and should they be fixed? what is a human being?
well, something that probably isn't fixed nearly often enough...or wait, you didn't mean 'fixed' as in neutered, did you?
Quote:
does our survival as a species depend upon our knowledge of our origins?
yes - both our origins as a species, and as inhabitants of earth.
Quote:
is it simply a matter of peace?
depends on the scale.
Quote:
is sexual passion always short-lived?
i'm hoping some day to find that it isn't.
Quote:
is rock and roll a creator of stereotypes?
no more so than any other organized activity.
Quote:
is any form of creative expression a creator of stereotypes?
what - other than art, literature, cartooning, movies...?
Quote:
is honesty always the best policy? is silence dishonest?
not always. and more often than we'd like to admit.
Quote:
do you ever wonder what the real reasons are for your behavior?
mostly i'd rather not know.
Quote:
what creates the urge for people to want to know things that are beyond their mental capacity?
most of us really don't know our mental capacity. or it could be a 'reach exceeds our grasp' thing.
Quote:
why do we believe in things we cannot sense?
because some of us have no sense.
Quote:
how is it even possible? do you think it serves a purpose?
the belief? yes, it serves to give the universe a sense of organization, and justice. and us an eternal, loving, protective parent.
Quote:
is evolution always right?
evolution has no morality, and no plan.
Quote:
do you believe in rhyme and reason?
except on wednesdays. no rhyme in wednesdays.
Quote:
are you the master or the slave of that paradigm?
....can i pick, interested bystander?
Quote:
do you really think life is but a dream?
no - somedays i wish it.
Quote:
is it important to be sentimental? does it serve some purpose?
well, i don't know that it serves a purpose, but it seems to be an important part of my life.
Quote:
are animals really sinless? what seperates humans from the animals?
well, i consider 'sin' to be a rather meaningless concept. certainly it is for animals. humans are different because they created sin to punish themselves with.
Quote:
is it important to know that? do you think we can ever actually be sinless again? can we atone?
no, no, and yes.
Quote:
can we at least find a way not to exterminate ourselves?
certainly hope so.
Quote:
why are people self-destructive?
i'd like to be cute, and connect it to the whole sin thing - but really, i can't understand it.
Quote:
why do some people go out of their way to save others?
because that's who they are.
Quote:
is there such a thing as a truly selfless act?
yes
Quote:
is that important or necessary?
yes - both
Quote:
are you anything but flesh?
bone, blood, brain, and the occasional fit of temper.
_________________
aka: neverscared!


Last edited by mouse on Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rm



Joined: 25 Jul 2006
Posts: 4073

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at what point should I stop and how can I know when that is if the very force that drives me determines that I am blind to its limits?

are decisions made by or given to me? if they are given to me, is the benefactor simply a part of myself that I am not consciously privy to?

do I possess an extra-indentitory element?
_________________
...


Last edited by rm on Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mouse



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 17047
Location: under the bed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, now you're just being difficult.
_________________
aka: neverscared!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Major Tom



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 7562

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alcohol.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rm



Joined: 25 Jul 2006
Posts: 4073

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: questions Reply with quote

mouse wrote:

Quote:
is it selfish to consider yourself the most important person in the world...
at least until you have a kid by accident?
depends on the context - no, actually, one should never consider oneself the most important, but sometime you have to act like it.


why should you act it if it isn't felt to be true? are you describing a form of humanitarian selflessness? or a way to get ahead in the business world? is someone else looking out for you the way you are looking out for someone else? is that an optimal situation, something you think about or wish for? who is the person most available to you and for whom you are most responsible for if not yourself?
_________________
...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rm



Joined: 25 Jul 2006
Posts: 4073

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major Tom wrote:
alcohol.


is that my extra-indentitory element, you snide bastard?
_________________
...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Major Tom



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 7562

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that, my friend, is the answer, of course.

alcohol.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rm



Joined: 25 Jul 2006
Posts: 4073

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're goading me on, aren't you?
_________________
...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Major Tom



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 7562

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, no.

stop

please don't

stop
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rm



Joined: 25 Jul 2006
Posts: 4073

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why are answers usually unsatisfactory unless discovered by extraordinarily difficult means, or unless given immediately upon request?
_________________
...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Semtext



Joined: 07 Oct 2006
Posts: 70
Location: Tuebingen, Germany

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rm wrote:
why are answers usually unsatisfactory unless discovered by extraordinarily difficult means, or unless given immediately upon request?


depends on the content of the answer and if it was intended by the guy who aaaaaasked. if not, they are unsatisfactory for the one who asked, but for sure not for the person who answered, because, if they were unsatisfactory, they wouldn't have been used to answer. and all that, seen without the context including "extraordinarily difficult means" and "immediately upon request", which are far too complicated to me (at this time - local time 4:20 am) so i exclude 'em.
_________________
"These are my new shoes. They're good shoes.
They won't make you rich like me, they won't make you rebound like me, they definitely won't make you handsome like me.
They'll only make you have shoes like me. That's it." (Charles Barkley)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
rm



Joined: 25 Jul 2006
Posts: 4073

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Semtext wrote:
if not, they are unsatisfactory for the one who asked, but for sure not for the person who answered, because, if they were unsatisfactory, they wouldn't have been used to answer.


are answers more important to the one giving the answer or the one who asked the question?
_________________
...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Semtext



Joined: 07 Oct 2006
Posts: 70
Location: Tuebingen, Germany

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rm wrote:
Semtext wrote:
if not, they are unsatisfactory for the one who asked, but for sure not for the person who answered, because, if they were unsatisfactory, they wouldn't have been used to answer.


are answers more important to the one giving the answer or the one who asked the question?


in my world, this is 50:50. as long, as the answer isn't a lie, deliberately said to fool the asking person.

but apart from that, the answer is more important to one who seeks knowledge in asking the wise man, who can see his wise word spread through the asking person.


and now my counterquestion:
but if the wise man was to be selfish and stuff, and the answer itself would be the masterpiece, then it would equal things out, wouldn't it?


you see? this gets more complicating the deeper we go.
_________________
"These are my new shoes. They're good shoes.
They won't make you rich like me, they won't make you rebound like me, they definitely won't make you handsome like me.
They'll only make you have shoes like me. That's it." (Charles Barkley)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
rm



Joined: 25 Jul 2006
Posts: 4073

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are assuming that the one asking the question of the wise man (more on that in a moment) is asking only to make a startling point, one which the wise man can in turn make seem ordinary and yet extraordinary at the same time with an even more startling answer.

but why are you bringing wise men into the discussion at all?
_________________
...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group