Welcome to the Fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

January 31, 2016: Coverage 4
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EverythingsJake

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: January 31, 2016: Coverage 4 Reply with quote

The face behind the fantasy.
Nobody Important

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope she'll eventually be able to escape this hell.
Leohan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel bad... Faking a smile is grating and it takes a toll on your emotional development.

Someone get her an acting role. She would work well for that... Although knowing how the Sinfestverse feels about devil people, I guess it's not that likely.

Now featuring around 40 pages about non-sentient toasters
Professor_Frink

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always got mixed feelings when discussing performers. On one hand, I hate the "they're broken 'girls' with daddy issues" refrain. On the other, I hate the fact that many women are in financial situations where they don't want to strip, but when it's between that and getting through college, they have to make the choice. Certainly there are performers who do it because they enjoy it, but they also suffer from the "broken girl" stigma.

And stripping is different from other professions that one might find oneself in if strapped for cash. Both the way society treats strippers, and the questions of sexuality, consent, and bodily integrity, make it a very tricky issue. I view the way that the army preys upon underprivileged men to join up in the same way (abdicating bodily integrity, ability to consent), yet in their case at least society "respects" them (though it's often just window dressing and doesn't cover things like respect for their mental wellness).

It's all kinds of problematic. I can't imagine going to a strip bar and feeling good watching someone who may not want to be there and be leered at. It's in its own class of worker exploitation.

Whoops I accidentally monologued.
Nyctophile

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Professor_Frink wrote:
I've always got mixed feelings when discussing performers. On one hand, I hate the "they're broken 'girls' with daddy issues" refrain. On the other, I hate the fact that many women are in financial situations where they don't want to strip, but when it's between that and getting through college, they have to make the choice. Certainly there are performers who do it because they enjoy it, but they also suffer from the "broken girl" stigma.

And stripping is different from other professions that one might find oneself in if strapped for cash. Both the way society treats strippers, and the questions of sexuality, consent, and bodily integrity, make it a very tricky issue. I view the way that the army preys upon underprivileged men to join up in the same way (abdicating bodily integrity, ability to consent), yet in their case at least society "respects" them (though it's often just window dressing and doesn't cover things like respect for their mental wellness).

It's all kinds of problematic. I can't imagine going to a strip bar and feeling good watching someone who may not want to be there and be leered at. It's in its own class of worker exploitation.

Whoops I accidentally monologued.

Agreed. I know a few strippers personally, and a few more through them. Some are just jaded professionals like we see in the comic here, doing what they have to to make money even though they don't want to, or wish they could be doing something better, or hate what they've become.

The ones I'm close with don't mind the job. They have no disillusions about it, it's not something they want to do forever, but in the meantime "I get to drink on the job, I get to dress up and dance, and I'm making about as much as some doctors yearly just for 'being hot'." They just make sure they don't blind themselves to some of the other girls working around them, many start because it's good money, then get reliant on that money because they either suddenly have need for it (sometimes a baby, in worse cases a drug problem...) or they simply never worked on a backup plan, and don't want to downgrade to minimum wage.

And then there's the girls who just flat like it and would do it forever given the option. They like dancing, they flat out like dressing up and being sexy, often they like the attention (either for a power trip or simply an exhibitionist streak), and they've got enough of a brain that they've learned to deal with creepers and the more catty co-workers.

Course, my town isn't exactly "rough". I'm sure they deal with a lot less where they work than some girls in more populated areas.
Professor_Frink

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
or hate what they've become.

This breaks my heart, because it's so incredibly arbitrary that strippers are seen as "lessers," while the men who see them are "men being men." It's okay to consume sex, but not okay to be the one selling it. It's ridiculous, and stems from society's obsessing with controlling and imprisioning female sexuality, which results in sex workers being less likely to be able to exercise autonomy.
The Bass Weasel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody wrote:

Believe me, as long as the audience isn't allowed to touch her, she's better off there than in the music business.
Nyctophile

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Professor_Frink wrote:
Quote:
or hate what they've become.

This breaks my heart, because it's so incredibly arbitrary that strippers are seen as "lessers," while the men who see them are "men being men." It's okay to consume sex, but not okay to be the one selling it. It's ridiculous, and stems from society's obsessing with controlling and imprisioning female sexuality, which results in sex workers being less likely to be able to exercise autonomy.

It's not always quite as simple as that.
As you say, it has to do with societies view on strippers or sex workers in general (though I kinda think "stripper" is a bit different than "sex worker", the social view is quite often the same) but moreso on how people view themselves.

As I said, some women have a very healthy attitude about it. They like their job, they see nothing wrong with it, and anyone who tries to tell them there's something wrong with it or by extension them can kindly go fuck themselves with a broken broom handle. But not everyone's like that. Some take the job because they feel the have no option. They've convinced themselves that it's a healthier mindset to feel "I don't want to be doing this, I just have to" rather than "this job is what I make of it." And they feel that way because THEY look down on what they're doing, those working with them, and themselves as a result. It's a twisted slut-shaming of those doing the same thing as you with an odd cognitive dissonance. "I'm better than these girls because I don't WANT to do this."

And most ironically of all, these women very rarely ever HAVE to be "doing this." There are very often other options, they're just harder. Strip for 30 hours a week, or get two full time jobs to *almost* make as much?

This isn't the only example, people will sadly often try to convince themselves that they are stuck where they are to feel better about not doing what it takes to get out.
SubversiveSynchronicity

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leohan wrote:
I feel bad... Faking a smile is grating and it takes a toll on your emotional development.

Someone get her an acting role. She would work well for that... Although knowing how the Sinfestverse feels about devil people, I guess it's not that likely.

Yeah, that panel in which she was told to smile was really sad... And now that you mention it, acting seems like a nice option for her.
(Please, oh, please, great Tat, you who rules the comic..?)

On a side note, I really like the art in the latest Sunday strips. I mean, that last panel is sad but beautiful. And Tat is getting much better at his command of color.
Flavius Maximus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Sapphire, and hope the best for her.

Hope that her tough exterior isn't an act too.
Echo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Those last two panels.

We know Sapphire's thought about leaving. I hope she makes it out.
Kurt91

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, have we ever seen any businesses run by the Sisterhood? I mean, I understand the idea behind sabotaging the Bomf District and stuff like that, but do these girls really have a choice in the matter? The comic you linked to flat-out states that they signed a pact/contract/whatever, but then if you think about it, things had to get bad enough that they decided to go through with something like that. Blowing up the worst places is nice symbolically, but now those girls are out of work and can't get a paycheck until they get everything back up and running, while the guys who would normally go there just find somewhere like Sapphire's place until they can go back. In the end, nothing changes.

I'm just saying that it would be kind of nice to see Nana put up a Help Wanted sign or something, and see a story arc where somebody about to put themselves in this kind of situation gets an actual non-DCorp related job. Besides, forced or not, it was nice seeing Sapphire actually smile for once. It would be even better to see one that was genuine.
Taemon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus, Tat. Now I'm all sad and mopey.

The Bass Weasel wrote:
Nobody wrote:

Believe me, as long as the audience isn't allowed to touch her, she's better off there than in the music business.

What?

Nyctophile wrote:
and they've got enough of a brain that they've learned to deal with creepers and the more catty co-workers.

You need a brain to deal with creepers now? And please, "catty" is a highly sexist term.
enchantedsleeper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kurt91 wrote:
I'm just saying that it would be kind of nice to see Nana put up a Help Wanted sign or something

Like she already did? True, that didn't actually pan out into a position for Fuschia (and we never saw Nana hire anyone else either), but it meant that Nana was well-placed to provide reassurance and comfort to Fuschia when she needed it most. I wish we saw them interacting more consistently, actually.

Kurt91 wrote:
Out of curiosity, have we ever seen any businesses run by the Sisterhood? I mean, I understand the idea behind sabotaging the Bomf District and stuff like that, but do these girls really have a choice in the matter? The comic you linked to flat-out states that they signed a pact/contract/whatever, but then if you think about it, things had to get bad enough that they decided to go through with something like that. Blowing up the worst places is nice symbolically, but now those girls are out of work and can't get a paycheck until they get everything back up and running, while the guys who would normally go there just find somewhere like Sapphire's place until they can go back. In the end, nothing changes.

While I see what you're saying, the Sisterhood are trying to fight the system at its roots. They're fighting the damaging perceptions that the patriarchy gives rise to, and the notion that women are objects and possessions, which is what creates the unequal society that put the Bomf District women in this position. They don't just blow stuff up. They also provide emotional support and a place to turn, like Xanthe's muffin stand. But the Sisterhood are all young and I don't really see them running businesses. They're an activist group, not entrepreneurs.

Maybe they could give support and provide resources to a group of devil ladies who wanted to set up a better industry for others in their position to turn to instead of being exploited (headed up by Sapphire, even?). I'd love to see something like that taking place. But the Sisterhood going into business, eh, it doesn't really seem like them.
Nobody Important

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bass Weasel wrote:
Nobody wrote:

What do you mean.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Page 1 of 53

Jump to: