welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Mixed Bag
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1081, 1082, 1083 ... 1131, 1132, 1133  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interview day! We're looking to take on approx 16-20 staff (wait staff, bar staff, kitchen assistants). Normally days like this, for me, start off like I'm a kid in a candy shop.

- I interviewed five, only one girl
+/- three of my five, all male, were broke ass kids with no qualifications or experience
+ those three guys were all awesome guys, I'm happy to give them jobs and training

Last edited by Mr Gary on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Canopus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty awesome. I actually wouldn't mind a tv show covering yours and similar exploits.

One admonition, I'm sure the people working with you are bound to be good natured, but man, just about anyone is willing to steal from the till these days.
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canopus wrote:
One admonition, I'm sure the people working with you are bound to be good natured, but man, just about anyone is willing to steal from the till these days.

These days? Dude, that goes without saying ...

I said they were nice people. I didn't say I trusted them.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're really on the ball.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+ i am currently eating oranges that are actually pink and red.
- just got a notice that my reduced rate parking permit is being discontinued (which i have been expecting)
--- which includes the information that they are also raising the price of the permit i will have to switch to.
-----pretty oranges don't quite make up for that.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shit, and i missed the bottom line:
Quote:
Note: Rates will increase 2-5% annually through FY 2015-16.

fuck you so much, parking services. why don't you use all that money you are charging us to build a parking structure so we actually have a place to park?
Snorri

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Gary wrote:

(sly admission: I spend some of my spare time trying to write the pilot for a television show I think would be fun;

Is it about office life?

Because I think that's already been done.

Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
Quote:

fuck you so much, parking services. why don't you use all that money you are charging us to build a parking structure so we actually have a place to park?

Maaaan! So we were complaining that our evening shift never has anywhere to park on weekdays for years and then they're like, "We're implementing a new parking plan to ease parking problems! Register your car now and get a special sticker to park in employee lots!" and we were like, "Sweet!"

Then it turns out the parking plan was not to add parking spots, but to limit the number of spots in which employees could park (to ease parking problems for patients and visitors, not us*), and now if you go out in the parking lot at 10 minutes before shift change you'll see lines of cars circling the employee lots waiting for someone to leave. And their suggestion was to go park at the administrative offices, which connect to the hospital via a gravel trail through some unlit woods near a homeless camp. They don't understand why no one wants to park there on evening shift, when we go home at 11:30pm.

* which is totally understandable, but we have to park too, right?
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
Quote:

They just increased ours by 5 bucks (again), roughly 6%.

I am routinely left at the bus stop because he shuttle (which only holds 12 people) is full, so I have to wait 30 minutes for the next. I've gone to the parking place a few times to suggest that perhaps the 2:40 shuttle should be a bus to accommodate the end of a shift going home. I have been encouraged not to worry, they are looking into it.

My other option is the same price, further away, in a lot that has no lighting or security guards, in west Baltimore. OR I could pay ~$200 a month to get a spot closer to work. $300 to park on campus.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

someone really needs to get some parking officials out in the real world - like walking to a distant lot at night, or waiting for a shuttle in miserable weather (seriously - they only run the shuttles every 30 minutes? at least that could run on a shorter schedule. but i guess that would mean buying more shuttles, and who wants to spend money on mere employees?)
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our executive team has this row of spots by one of the side doors that have huge "permit parking only, violators will be towed," signs on them. They even painted a gold box around them, on the pavement. I doubt they realize parking is an issue.
CTrees

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Your order has shipped" (hurray!)

"Via USPS" (FUCK!)
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received a package a couple weeks ago from USPS (Well, up until the border, then it got transferred to Canada Post). According to USPS, it's still in Champlain, NY.

It's been 2 weeks since it was delivered, you would think they could update the tracking data by now.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it left its heart in Champlain
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Canada Post doesn't share tracking data with USPS. But USPS is a sure way to get a box that looks like it barely survived a plane crash.

Apparently Amazon is working with USPS (because they have a huge fleet and a dwindling number of letters to fill them with) to setup same day delivery in certain major cities. That might be the only way to receive it in good shape.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1081, 1082, 1083 ... 1131, 1132, 1133  Next
Page 1082 of 1133

Jump to: