welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Mixed Bag
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1082, 1083, 1084 ... 1135, 1136, 1137  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Maybe Canada Post doesn't share tracking data with USPS. But USPS is a sure way to get a box that looks like it barely survived a plane crash.

Apparently Canada Post and USPS share shipping data, as USPS tracking codes can be entered into the Canada Post website to track cross border shipments and vice-versa. And even then, USPS is supposed to update it to say that it's entered customs, not just chilling in a warehouse for weeks.

And definite yes to the second statement. My poor package was being held together with little more than packing tape when it arrived.

Although at the same time, UPS or Fedex would charge me absolutely ridiculous brokerage fees for getting it through customs. I'm willing to wait a couple days in customs if it saves me the brokerage fees and possibly gets my package through without taxes (which happens sometimes).
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, at least you got your package. i ordered a book from an amazon seller, the shipping notice said it might not get here unit jan 28, when i finally checked, usps said it had been delivered jan 11...haven't seen a sign of it. i suppose it could have gotten put in one of my neighbor's boxes and they could have kept it...but that seems unusual.

but what can i do, they say it was delivered. so i'd rather they delivered it and said it was still out there somewhere, then have them say it's been delivered and yet, apparently, it is still out there somewhere.
SomeGuy411

Location: Lost somewhere in space/time, as far as I can tell. Last known location: Canada

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so everyone can have a laugh at something minor...
Computer science major in college. couple of weeks of tests and stuff due, so its been crazy
-database test. Scripts just wouldn't work, still wasn't anywhere near what was needed to update the database before time was up
+turns out the logic is being marked more than the actual syntax, so I didn't bomb the thing
Have a pleasant day
CTrees

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A big part of my job (while I still have it...) is tracking shipments. I track *a lot* of shipments. UPS is great. FedEx is nearly as good. DHL is rare to see, but fine. All the trucking companies I've had to deal with are alright - bit different with how things are tracking, less precise, but more personal customer support. USPS is always terrible, one way or another (my "favorite:" had a package wih status showing out for delivery, for three straight weeks). This really doesn't change dependent on whether it's a package for work or a personal purchase (though the trucking companies obviously don't apply in the latter case).
Halen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I was cutting wood outside and there was a particularly stubborn bit that wouldn't break. So I was taking a great big swing with the axe and it got caught in the washing line, rebounded off and hit myself in the head... Oops.

I'm alive!
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might need this if you ever have to explain yourself while traveling.
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+ found a place to live!
- it's tiny, and a shit hole
+ it's cheap!
- it's miles away from my new work
+ it's cheap enough that I can save money to buy a car / get my license like a grown-up!
+ my sister is buying my a bicycle
- I think because she wants me gone quick
+ I'll get so much exercise!
- srsly it's a shit hole, you wouldn't take a girl back no matter how well I do the interior
trustedfaith

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CTrees wrote:
A big part of my job (while I still have it...) is tracking shipments. I track *a lot* of shipments. UPS is great. FedEx is nearly as good. DHL is rare to see, but fine. All the trucking companies I've had to deal with are alright - bit different with how things are tracking, less precise, but more personal customer support. USPS is always terrible, one way or another (my "favorite:" had a package wih status showing out for delivery, for three straight weeks). This really doesn't change dependent on whether it's a package for work or a personal purchase (though the trucking companies obviously don't apply in the latter case).

I work for a distributor for electric motor parts and insulation. Not very exciting but we ship a lot of shit because we're a distributor. I deal with UPS, FedEx, DHL, and all the truck lines on a daily basis.

I haven't dealt with USPS with our shipments so I can't speak on how bad they eff shit up but I can tell you that UPS thinks the 'Fragile' sticker on boxes is a subjective and truck lines like Yellow/YRC think they're getting away with something when they re-band and skid a shipment they damaged to pretend it's not their fault.

FedEx is better than UPS but more expensive and has less options. Truck lines like R&L are good in my neck of the woods but for other branches they are horrible. I wish we could use Estes because out of all the truck lines they are the ones that cause the least amount of damage but they're the most expensive. And my company would rather file 29384723 freight claims than pay a little more and not have to file one in the first place. USF Holland seems to pay more attention to their freight than Pitt Ohio does. Which is shitty because Pitt Ohio used to care.

On a completely unrelated note...

+ I like my teachers for my classes this semester. They're really nice and passionate about what they teach. I am taking a Sociology class called Modern Social problems and a Speech class called Mass Media in Global Culture.

- Both classes are 3 credit hour classes that start at 6:00/6:30pm to 9:00/9:30pm at night after an 8 hour day at work.

+ Both teachers make it interesting and fun. We spend a lot of our class time discussing current events, trends, or issues.

- We spend a lot of our class time discussing current events, trends, or issues when the class could be a lot shorter instead.

- I feel like a lot of the terms they come up with in both classes are fluff or terms made up just so they could have something to teach. I guess it seems that way to me because it feels like it's common sense but they needed a term for the common sense. I dunno.

+ I don't have a class like last semester where my teacher didn't believe in scantrons or multiple choice and believed that every student should memorize what she wrote on the board (verbatim). These teachers believe in multiple choice or only giving a test at the end of the class.

- Both classes do way too much group shit. I hate relying on other people to do projects with.

+ There are a lot of fun assignments lined up for my Mass Media class that I'm looking forward to. One of which is writing a script/screenplay. Smile
Michael

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhm... halen, are you ok>?
Yorick

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Gary wrote:

- srsly it's a shit hole, you wouldn't take a girl back no matter how well I do the interior

... what about their mother? Razz
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- Woke up early to the sound of my little brother throwing the circuit breakers, which are located in a closet beside my bedroom. The power had gone out a few minutes before and stayed out for over an hour. NO INTERNETS FOR AN HOUR!!!!
+ Power's back on now.
bitflipper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, but, if there ever is a good time for having no internet access, then having no internet access while you're asleep is probably that time.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's just it, I was no longer asleep! And it was so early in the morning, there was nothing to do but internet! Except for sit down in a chair by a window and do a little writing and sketching, listening to some music on my mp3 player, with my e-reader nearby in case I wanted a break.
But other than that, nothing!
Anyway I also had to flush out the pipes and traps then run the water for a while when the power came back on, because some sediment got sucked in as the pump sputtered out. One of the trade-offs of having a residential well.
jwing

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wing1 is 18 years old today.
Mr_Moustache

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you send her over to europe she can get tanked! I am sure Gary will look after her!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1082, 1083, 1084 ... 1135, 1136, 1137  Next
Page 1083 of 1137

Jump to: