welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Mixed Bag
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1092, 1093, 1094 ... 1131, 1132, 1133  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Felgraf

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasairfiona wrote:
Not very messed up - it means you recognize mistakes in the past, have come to terms with them, and have started moving on. Sadness for things you cannot control is useful self indulgence but something that must be put aside when life moves on.

- Broken dryer.
+ Can totally fix it: the padding that keeps it centered and balanced is worn.
+/- It is much easier to take apart a dryer than we initially thought... so we took it apart much more than we had to which was a pain.
- Decided to fix it more thoroughly so I can't do a load of laundry tonight.
+ These appliances have lasted since 2008 in my care and they were secondhand then. Awesomesauce (even though I kinda want the energy efficient ones but yay not spending the money on it!).

Out of curiosity, is any special sort of mechanical knowledge or training needed to do that? Though I do not own a dryer, it could be useful for future knowledge.
/And I like trying to fix things.
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh, the park where we walk our dog has tons of Bradford pears and they smell like a combination of porta-johns and industrial detergents when they're in bloom. I don't know how they thought that was a good idea. To make matters worse, they're pretty damn fragile and weedy as far as trees go. Their wood splits and snaps off easily, but they keep growing and spreading by sending out suckers and shoots.
Our native dogwoods would have been much better, or even serviceberry despite all its disease problems.
Samsally

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no idea stink trees were so common.
Finnegan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

back in college I worked on a research farm over the summers and there was this weed with these yellow flowers that grew in the fields that smelled like a rotting carcass. It was so rank that my eyes watered and I had to heave whenever I went into either of the fields where it grew. (It was a research farm so there were dozens of fields and plots growing different things under different conditions. I mostly worked on the entomology farm.) The weird thing was that the grad student I worked with and the other girl working with me genuinely enjoyed the way the flowers smelled. What I smelled as death and decay they described as woody and earthy.

hey! rock bottom's not that bad
we've got glow-in-the-dark fish down here that's rad
Samsally

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah, that is really odd. I know I have a pretty good sense of smell because often I can pinpoint what a smell is way easier and faster than others, and also just smell things when others don't. I suspect I wouldn't have liked them either.

Sometimes it's cool, but other times it's like "WHY GOD, WHY?"

Also you reminded me of this guy. A flower that makes me laugh to this day because my coworker insisted I have a 'florsona' and I decided to run with it, picking the most goth flower I could find.
Finnegan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sense of smell is the same way- smelling things before anyone else does. it usually ends up being problematic, though, like when I spent three days tearing up my apartment because I was sure something had crawled in and died even though no one else could smell anything. it turned out to be a french fry that fell behind the stove and got moldy.

Samsally

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. I have cats. Love them, but hot damn do they make some horrible smells.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felgraf wrote:
Lasairfiona wrote:
Not very messed up - it means you recognize mistakes in the past, have come to terms with them, and have started moving on. Sadness for things you cannot control is useful self indulgence but something that must be put aside when life moves on.

- Broken dryer.
+ Can totally fix it: the padding that keeps it centered and balanced is worn.
+/- It is much easier to take apart a dryer than we initially thought... so we took it apart much more than we had to which was a pain.
- Decided to fix it more thoroughly so I can't do a load of laundry tonight.
+ These appliances have lasted since 2008 in my care and they were secondhand then. Awesomesauce (even though I kinda want the energy efficient ones but yay not spending the money on it!).

Out of curiosity, is any special sort of mechanical knowledge or training needed to do that? Though I do not own a dryer, it could be useful for future knowledge.

How many engineers does it take to. . . (runs away before he becomes an involuntary sparring partner)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Sojobo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only trees I've experienced with a horrid smell are ginkgos. When their berries fall, they smell literally like vomit. For weeks.
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The leaves on Californica umbellularia also smell absurdly bad when cut or torn. It's the one tree no one misses on a dendro test because it's impossible to miss that smell.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holly branches smell like old cigarette smoke stains if you cut the bark off.

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
Felgraf wrote:

How many engineers does it take to. . . (runs away before he becomes an involuntary sparring partner)

It takes 3 engineers but no special mechanical knowledge or training. Note - take the top off by popping the tabs. Do NOT unscrew a bunch of screws. Most of what needs to be fixed mechanically can be done without unscrewing the whole damn thing unless you have to replace a bearing.
sporko

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+ 86% on patho final which brings me down to a final 92% for the class (still an A)
+ 2 finals down
- 3 to go
-- anatomy is going to fucking suck tomorrow
--- i haven't really started because i'm really uncomfortable with everything in the pelvis and the module is pelvis/lower limbs and i hate the pelvis and so i don't really know anything about either one and now i'm wikihopping and facebooking and sinfesting and not doing a lick of studying fml

also i miss my family and my friends and +++ i moved this weekend but damnit right now just kinda sucks Sad

can someone teach me pelvis and lower limb?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, I can teach your pelvis about my lower limb!

Mr_Moustache

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes I wonder if I'll ever allow myself to be happy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1092, 1093, 1094 ... 1131, 1132, 1133  Next
Page 1093 of 1133

Jump to: