welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Mixed Bag
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1097, 1098, 1099 ... 1133, 1134, 1135  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.localharvest.org/csa/
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

talking to an old friend who's stayed way more connected to our old high school friends than i have

+ finding out how many of our friends have gone on to lead successful lives, get married, have kids, be happy, etc
- finding out how many of our friends have gone on to get murdered, addicted to drugs, abusive relationships, etc
stripeypants

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+ Got to hang with almst everyone I would have invited to a party with no party planning efforts
+ A friend made this divine rose flavored angel food cake that was divine
- My lemon pies turned out bland
+ I at least liked them
- That bridge crashing in Spokane made everyone worry (People we know were driving home right then.)
+ No one was killed
- My TMJ has been acting up

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I signed up for OKCupid simply because a good friend of mine was trying to show me profiles of dudes to make fun of but a lot of their profiles were private. I'd pretend to feel bad about this, but I don't.

I have a very specific reason why I won't use sites like that to meet people. That being sad, I do love filling shit out and reading other people's profiles.

-Every interesting profile said they'd never date someone who plays video games or lives with their parents. Well.
-They're all super outdoorsy and active. Fucking Seattleites and their god damn nature loving.

+What's this, an interesting profile and we're hella compatible, by all appearances?

-I have filled out exactly two sections of my profile and answered hundreds of the quiz question thingies. I message him anyway.

-hahahaha... sigh

+Oh shit, he answered back.

I've realized it's hella awkward trying to get to know someone in e-mail form, especially when they're not particularly prompt about responding. I'll suggest an instant messenger or maybe even texting if he responds again. It's Friday and it hasn't been 48 hours, so I'm trying not to worry.

Anyway, so yeah. I have no idea about online dating etiquette so this is a whole lotta mixed bag. But hey, don't have much else to do!

Wish me luck? Or something? Whoo?

+++ I just ate chocolate chip cookies.

stripeypants

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I met my partner on OKC, so it isn't hopeless! This was after I deleted the profile i had for years, because the old one sent me very incompatible people. Very soon after making fhe new one, it actually sent me people who seemed interesting.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It worked out well for CTrees! I think my main problem is I'm getting way ahead of myself and just assuming this will work out.

Maybe my self-esteem is even higher than I realized. Razz

Christ, at this point I'll be happy just to have more friends in the area. Sad

*glares at Dogen*

Samsally

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep considering setting up an OKC account but I'm not sure it's worth it. "Hi I want to meet people to cuddle but no sex ever okay." sounds like it won't end well. Ever. Ugh why am I still in this state.
Atrophy Annie

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to say it, but you're probably right. I feel like a lot of people on there who say they're looking for friends aren't really. When my friend who inspired me to create the account tells me the kind of messages she gets... I just... yeah.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are indeed a lot of jerks who ignore profiles and pretty much try to hand their penis over to you in personal messages. I didn't have too any persistant ones.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just witnessed my first bar fight! What a night.
Finnegan

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, az! it's been a while, good to see you!

hey! rock bottom's not that bad
we've got glow-in-the-dark fish down here that's rad
TIAB

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I signed up for OKC years ago to take a personality quiz and then promptly forgot about it. I set the rest of my profile up a year or so ago to start meeting people because the few friends I have down here having gotten understandably busy with things like earning a PHD and having a baby(in one case, both). I have had one rather interesting conversation with someone on the site and a whole bunch of non-replies. I have a couple of non-local female friends who use the site and get a ton of messages all the time, mostly ignoring the profile, with portions that explicitly say, "Don't message me if all you are going to say is, 'Hey, what's up?'"
I read the whole profile before sending a message and try to respond to an area of interest that they mentioned. At this point I can only assume that unless you are a paid member, as a man they auto translate intelligible English to dude before sending it on to the female members.

"You're a Doctor Who fan? Who is your favorite Doctor?" gets translated into, "Wanna see my dick?" "I see that you're an active feminist, do you know so-and-so? I think they are organizing an event soon." turns into "Bitch, u hot."

I can only conclude that the one conversation that I managed to have was the result of a glitch.
Snorri

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
There are indeed a lot of jerks who ignore profiles and pretty much try to hand their penis over to you in personal messages. I didn't have too any persistant ones.

One tactic to lower the amount of those messages you get is not putting up a profile picture. Or at least, that might help though all I've heard about it is anecdotal.

But you're going to get plenty of those messages anyway. Just ignore them and check the messages of people who are actually cool.

sporko

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i met greg via OKC; i'd signed up because my roommate at the time had it and i wanted to see the profiles of the guys she pointed out. within a week, greg and i were messaging and it lasted well over two years, and only ended because i knew with the stress of school i couldn't make him a priority anymore and i have a problem with the idea of being in a committed relationship where the other person isn't a priority in life. i'd still consider us an OKC success.

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+ Not going anywhere this weekend! This is definitely a pleasure this time because we have been traveling so much.
- Well, and we didn't travel because gas prices jumped $.40 in a week. What bullshit.
+ Going to sit at home and eat strawberries, drink wine, and chill with minimal clothing!
- Oh wait, the roommate that was going to be gone this weekend came back. Fuck this shit.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1097, 1098, 1099 ... 1133, 1134, 1135  Next
Page 1098 of 1135

Jump to: