Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Mixed Bag
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1098, 1099, 1100 ... 1127, 1128, 1129  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samsally

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So my dad is awesome and over the winter he spruced up my bicycle so I could use it this summer. This weekend my parents visited and brought my bike back and today I got outa work early because it was slow.

I went on a bike ride that started out super awesome right up until I got completely lost and all the energy drained out of me.

I freaked out a little when I found a field, is what I mean by lost. I live downtown, there is not much that says "YOU ARE FUCKED" than finding a field when what you were hoping to find was a downtown.

I set my bike down and sat down and tried desperately to figure out where the fuck I was and the owner of the lawn I had hunkered down in came out and asked if I was okay. She was super nice and when she found out I was lost made her husband give me directions, then gave me a bottle of water.

I eventually got home thanks to those directions (I had completely turned around, like had no idea which direction was north or anything, which is really weird for me.)

Right now I'm just really happy and grateful that kind people exist. I will never ever understand people who say they feel good after a hard work out though, because physically I feel completely awful.
Atrophy Annie

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's taking forever to respond, when I know he read the message yesterday morning, so... yeah. Ah, well. Maybe I'll message him after work on Tuesday, after the holiday weekend. I'm not going to put in more effort than he's willing to, though.
TIAB

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+A few days ago, my dad was approached to possibly shoot photos for a wedding.
+He automatically thought of me and offered to bring me in and split it 50/50.
-Details emerge, groom is only interested in unedited HiRes photos which he plans to edit himself. This was the first thing to give me pause.
They ask my dad for sample portraits from both of us and I provide a range of outdoor to indoor low-light.
-Official response from groom is that our cameras do not have large enough sensors to shoot the low-light conditions that will be present for the ceremony.
-/+That statement makes no sense for a number of reasons, so we missed an opportunity to work for an idiot. Still, money...
-My current employment ends in two weeks.
+In two weeks I'm going to have a brief visit with friends and family.
eureka00

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TIAB wrote:
+A few days ago, my dad was approached to possibly shoot photos for a wedding.
+He automatically thought of me and offered to bring me in and split it 50/50.
-Details emerge, groom is only interested in unedited HiRes photos which he plans to edit himself. This was the first thing to give me pause.
They ask my dad for sample portraits from both of us and I provide a range of outdoor to indoor low-light.
-Official response from groom is that our cameras do not have large enough sensors to shoot the low-light conditions that will be present for the ceremony.
-/+That statement makes no sense for a number of reasons, so we missed an opportunity to work for an idiot. Still, money...
-My current employment ends in two weeks.
+In two weeks I'm going to have a brief visit with friends and family.

Maybe they shouldn't get married in the dark. Also, I think I will see you for part of that brief visit in two weeks. Smile
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+ Going away party for me tonight. I wasn't really sure how many people were coming... no one really mentioned it at work or on facebook or anything...
+ Tons of people showed up... an amazing number. Kind of an overwhelming number.
+ Some of them are making me a video of them singing "Ho Hey," by the Lumineers for me to watch "when I get lonely."
- I'm going to miss these people so much... I get teary-eyed just thinking about not being around them all the time.
Yinello

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww Dogen. Sad *hugs*
eureka00

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
+ Going away party for me tonight. I wasn't really sure how many people were coming... no one really mentioned it at work or on facebook or anything...
+ Tons of people showed up... an amazing number. Kind of an overwhelming number.
+ Some of them are making me a video of them singing "Ho Hey," by the Lumineers for me to watch "when I get lonely."
- I'm going to miss these people so much... I get teary-eyed just thinking about not being around them all the time.

So sweet of them to surprise you like that. I hope you meet great new friends where you move to.
Samsally

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing gets under my skin quite like when someone talks to me with an ulterior motive they won't just come out and say.

You know those conversations? Like when they obviously want you to offer to do something for them, or they're just talking to you to get you to ask how they are so they can spill about whatever is on their mind? Then when you don't do or say what they obviously want you to say the conversation just peters out awkwardly?

I guess maybe this is in the mixed bag thread because at least now I know how to recognize it. I don't particularly like being pushed to anger over it, but at least I see it now and I'm less likely to get suckered into being used.

I don't know, maybe I'm overreacting and it's just a normal part of how people communicate and I'm just that weirdo that opens conversations with exactly what I want if I find I have to ask someone for something. It just seems like... all the times I remember doing what I was obviously being corralled into doing have ended pretty shitty though.
TIAB

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be a common way that people communicate, but it's definitely not healthy so I'm reluctant to call it normal.

I find it pretty irritating and useless. If I want something from someone, I'm pretty straightforward about asking for it. It makes for less wasted time and healthier relationships with the people around me. Win win.
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Plot the curve to UNCOVER THE PLOT goto page 23 for the clue Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
Nothing gets under my skin quite like when someone talks to me with an ulterior motive they won't just come out and say.

You know those conversations? Like when they obviously want you to offer to do something for them, or they're just talking to you to get you to ask how they are so they can spill about whatever is on their mind? Then when you don't do or say what they obviously want you to say the conversation just peters out awkwardly?

I guess maybe this is in the mixed bag thread because at least now I know how to recognize it. I don't particularly like being pushed to anger over it, but at least I see it now and I'm less likely to get suckered into being used.

I don't know, maybe I'm overreacting and it's just a normal part of how people communicate and I'm just that weirdo that opens conversations with exactly what I want if I find I have to ask someone for something. It just seems like... all the times I remember doing what I was obviously being corralled into doing have ended pretty shitty though.

Bluntly ask them what their angle is, and gently polish that sharp corner into a nice understandable curve of motives.

If they see you as a means to an end, it's up to you to find the range of their goals; the mode of their operation, an average vector of their intentions.

Only with calculated precision can one reveal insincerity.

The other alternative is simply saying "No, I'll not be a part of this."

But that seems like such a trivial solution.

Look at the problem in another way.

Shouldn't you be glad that people come to you to spill their emotions and guts?

It means you're needed as a wise and understanding person to those who aren't as close to anyone else, or have no one else to speak of their troubles to.

Perhaps you are not fond of being the shoulder that people cry on.

If so, what do you aspire to be?

A scaler of mountains?
Yorick

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm about to watch the film Frankenweenie on DVD; looked at the bonuses hoping the original short would be there.

There's a music video for the Plain White T's covering "Pet Sematary" by Ramones, which I gather is in the film somewhere.

It's remarkably lifeless.
Yinello

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dungeon Mastering my D&D sessions every sunday is becoming a bit hard now that my work is now so busy. Not sure if I should ask for a small break considering I only started a few weeks ago.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

- Power went out around 4:30 in the afternoon during a huge thunderstorm.
- Nothing to do with myself for a Sunday afternoon, and not enough light around to do anything productive.
+ Managed to get a little drawing done and scanned at a neighbor's house. Gift art for someone!
- It took me ten minutes to remember the password for my account to post the pic.
- None of my other drawing assignments are done.
+++ Electricity came back on five minutes after I got home! Hope it sticks around.
Yinello

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-- Good lordy lord this month is expensive. I lost a bag of work clothes during moving (rage) and I had to buy pants, a vest and 1 pair of nice shoes for work. A lot of birthdays coming up too so I also spent money on gifts and such. I'm pretty sure I've spent about 500 euros or something in a span of 2 weeks. x.x

+ My birthday is coming up!

- I could've asked for gift vouchers to buy these clothes but my birthday is later and I need the working clothes now for meetings and events D=

+ I'm allowed to choose out of a lot of shops for the gift vouchers so I'm happily browsing which one I'd like. Maybe even more clothes to drive my SO mad.

++ I have a job so I can afford to spend. I should stfu. xD

-- I really want to keep saving so I can start my own company in 2-3 years, but I fear my expenses are too high.

- I'm so paranoid lols.
Finnegan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't decide if the thing that I love the most or the thing that I hate the most about arrested development is that you really kinda have to watch the whole thing back to back in order to get the complete sense of everything that's going on.

hey! rock bottom's not that bad
we've got glow-in-the-dark fish down here that's rad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1098, 1099, 1100 ... 1127, 1128, 1129  Next
Page 1099 of 1129

Jump to: