welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Mixed Bag
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1106, 1107, 1108 ... 1135, 1136, 1137  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am the primary dog person in the family. I do most of the feeding, most of the medicine, 99% of the walks, and most of the play time.
My dog would rather spend time with anybody else given the choice because he sees so much of me and so little of them in comparison.
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+ We are wanting to buy a house. It moved from thinking to wanting recently.
- Both of our credit is not so hot. Mine is in the fair region but that is it. My credit union doesn't want to lend to me.
+ Someone else will want to lend me money without completely fucking me over, right? Right?
- I have the tendency to get excited and then run out of steam when I can't get going on what I want right away.
- Also, credit scores are stupid and even when you contact the reporting agency directly you don't get a straight answer.
- Paying back old debt.
+ No really, I think we will be able to get into a house. It won't be an expensive house (not at all!) but it is possible. Now to find that lender...

Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should talk to a financial advisor about how long it would take to bring up your credit score. Depending on what it is, and what options are available to bring it up, you may find the benefits (lower interest rates, meaning more house for the same monthly price) are worth spending a year bringing it up.

Or totally not, and then you know you can go ahead and buy a house because you'd be in the same boat in a year anyway.

Says the man who doesn't own a house. But I did refi my car, rolled $5k of debt into it (all the debt I had at the time), and pay the same monthly payment as I did before the refi because I a) have good credit and b) did the refi when rates first hit bottom.
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Owning a house has, thus far, been cheaper than living in a one bedroom apartment around here. We were paying $1100/mo for a one bedroom, which was slightly more than the 1K average in the area. Now we own a 3 bedroom two bath for $650/mo. We pay about $850 after taxes and such are added.
Martian Kyo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+I did well on the test for my job.
+I got a second interview tomorrow.
+/-I am not excited about it
+ It's pretty much the same job as this one, only with about 40% higher pay and is like 3 minutes walking distance from where I live
-It still feels like a mixed bag
+I am likely to get it (there are two open positions)
-If I get the job I'll have to talk to my boss who's tried everything to make me stay. It feels like I am betraying him. But it's a big bank, I am not leaving a small time business.
+This is actually a good thing, I am just too cautions to put it in the life's little pleasures.

------I am a dick for not being excited about my life.
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

change, even for the better, is always a little frightening. so it's not really strange to have mixed feelings about it.

and be sure to tell your boss how much you liked working for him, give him some positive feedback if you can - but he can surely see that a huge pay increase and a great commute are not unreasonable things to want.
Martian Kyo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it is scary. I do need to vent my childish panic and insecurities before I continue being a reasonable adult. Very Happy
Michael

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woohoo! Go Kyo Smile
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martian Kyo wrote:
Yeah it is scary. I do need to vent my childish panic and insecurities before I continue being a reasonable adult. Very Happy

that's what we're here for!
Martian Kyo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like telling my job adventures here complicates them. Smile

Here's the outcome. I did not get the job now, but they will consider me in December.

The irony is that last job I wasn't a top candidate cause I haven't worked in newer technologies (nodejs, Microsoft MVC and so on), and this job I didn't get because lately I moved away from older technologies (asp .net 1.1)*

Well for one I am proud of myself, I didn't get too excited. I was wise enough to place this in the mixed thread.

*Not really true cause I turned down the last job cause they didn't offer me enough money, but they didn't offer me enough money, cause I was inexperienced in new technologies.
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the people in my program... but tonight after leaving a bar and dropping off all the other people in the carpool me and the driver started talking about global health, institutional racism, and girleffect.org. She was really mad about them focusing on "saving girls" rather than affecting broad social change that would prevent the need to save girls from anyone, which is excellent but kind of a long-range goal (why can't we do both, I say?).

Anyway, we ended up standing in her driveway talking for half an hour about how she thought everyone should be doing something to combat inequality... but she meant literally everyone should go to places like Haiti and do something to fix inequality. I tried to wind down the conversation by saying that sounded like a great goal, but that other people (like me) have passion that runs in a different direction... so she asked what I wanted to do, and I said, "Work with victims of trauma." She stared at me for a second and said, "That's it?" I said, "You know you're the first person to ever act like that was an unimpressive career goal?"
Martian Kyo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like her.
Dro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Dogen is apparently happy putting a band-aid on a boo-boo instead of seeing the big picture. I think she showed great self-restraint not being condescending to your limited world view.
Atrophy Annie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to know what she's done to fix inequality (besides saying everyone should do it).
sporko

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just finished seeing the wolverine.

...posting in mixed bag to avoid spoiler-ing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1106, 1107, 1108 ... 1135, 1136, 1137  Next
Page 1107 of 1137

Jump to: