welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Mixed Bag
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1116, 1117, 1118 ... 1131, 1132, 1133  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samsally

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize what a hopeless fangirl I am because my first thought was "My answer depends entirely on what fandom we're talking here." because if it's one of mine I'll make grabby hands for the fanfic.

My recent writing project is fanfic. I'm actually pretty terrible at world building on my own.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting retweeted by someone every time I post a story, which is cool because the person has a few hundred followers. They're Indonesian, which is kinda neat too.

The real issue is I'm not even sure it's a person, but I suppose having bots spread my stuff is better than no one, so who knows.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Yinello

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I desperately want this but I'm not exactly rolling in the dough lately.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oooo, that is sweet. it doesn't seem outrageously expensive, though - could you give up something for a few week? coffee drinks, sodas, eating?

meanwhile, i have to talk myself out of the cat pendant.
Yinello

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
oooo, that is sweet. it doesn't seem outrageously expensive, though - could you give up something for a few week? coffee drinks, sodas, eating?

meanwhile, i have to talk myself out of the cat pendant.

Yeah that's true and a lot of good reviews about it too. I'm not sure I can give up eating. xD I might have to give up cola.
Echo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooooh, now I want all sorts of pendants with pictures of nebulae on them. And maybe that Fire Dragon Eye one.

Fortunately for my bank balance, dithering between the various options usually mean I don't end up buying any...
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(+) I read a thing and it was entertaining.
(-) IT HAD COMMA SPLICES AAAAAaaAAAAAaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
(+) I read a thing and it was entertaining.
(-) IT HAD COMMA SPLICES AAAAAaaAAAAAaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Commas? Let me quote a bit from an article in the last issue of Scientific American.

Quote:
Jayden loved, too, a program featuring the chugging Thomas the Tank Engine, with its crashing sound effects. The parents eventually decided to bring Jayden to a nearby early intervention clinic for children suspected of having autism, or, in clinical terminology, autism spectrum disorder -- a condition marked, to varying degrees, by persistent deficits in communicating and interacting with others and a propensity to engage in repetitive behaviors, such as rocking or repeating sounds over and over.

In those two sentences, there are nine commas. None of them appear in a list. But it gets worse. Picking up immediately, the next three sentences read as follows:
Quote:
Based on careful observation of Jayden over the course of a few hours and on the wealth of details furnished by his parents, a psychologist at the clinic gave Adrianna and Jermaine the devastating news that their child did, indeed, have autism. Both parents initially wondered if they could have done something to cause the disorder. And, despite their suspicions, Adrianna recalls, Jermaine, an engineer, took a while to "get his head around" the clinic's confirmation of their fears.

Another 8 commas, five of them in the last sentence alone! Four sentences contained 17 of the things!
It's like somebody took a commachine gun and massacred a lineup of mobsters against the page. I recall thinking aloud as I stumbled over that last one, "How the HELL did this make it into print?"
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. They put commas around a slightly excessive number of prepositional phrases, appositives, interjections, etc? *le GASP*

It looks fine to me. At worst, it's unwieldy.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion turned a withering glare on Heretical Rants. The sandpaper of his gaze was matched only by the coarse rasp of his voice, singed by the acid in his words.
"Now I see how you can read fan fiction."
And true it was, for prose so perse thrives only in a punctuation wasteland, desolated of all sense of structure and teleology, bereft of the guiding, cultivating hand of a higher intellect, in which sentences grow large and fat, fed to moribund corpulence by the horribly plump, writhing commas that suckle ever at the foul, putrescent teat of the disheveled, rambling mind, in whose unformed chambers and benighted, unenlightened chasms the noble period dwells no more abundantly than sunbeams amongst the decrepit and haunted abode of the undead.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes there's a small part of my brain that tries to throttle me in order to protect itself from the horror of oft-repeated errors in grammar and punctuation. If that part of me gets too loud, I ragequit the fic and try to find something else to fill the awful aching void. Usually things only progress that far if I'm already invested in the story for whatever reason, and I generally won't read a fic at all if it doesn't appear, on first glance, to have gone through a proper proofreading.

But small, consistent errors and unclear patterns of prose build together and start to gnaw at my spirit, feeding off of the energy the rest of the fic gives me to form a dark and terrible amalgamation of annoyance that looms over me and threatens to suck out my very soul. This terror can only be vanquished by either screaming obscenities at the author for inflicting this upon me, or finding a better-composed work of fiction to help me wash away the poisonous sludge it has floated into the weary architecture of my mind.

Alternatively, I suppose I could just walk away and do something else, but I haven't tried that solution yet.

None of the fanfictions I count among my favorites have this problem *cough* with the exception of one sequel that was written by a different author.

Count?

This post contains TEN commas!

Ten! Ahahaha.
and one *cough* used in place of a comma
Dogen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've come to be less concerned with how other people write. I've decided that if language is for the transmission of ideas then it's merely a question of whether someone's writing works, if you understand them, rather than whether it's technically correct, that's important. People gripe about sounding unintelligent, or the need to be able to write to be respected (job applications? I don't know), but I just don't have those concerns. I don't care if a grocery store misuses an apostrophe, or if someone ends a sentence with a preposition. People hate new linguistic rules, words, and turns of phrase until they aren't new anymore. Worrying about it is sticking your finger in a dam.

Anyway, so I just helped get a friend of mine fired. He groped another friend of mine. At work. They're both married. She called me for advice, and I told her to do the right thing, and she did, and the right thing happened. It just sucks. But at least she doesn't have to see him at work anymore.
Jinx

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, that's horrible. Is this surprising from him?
Dogen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was one of those situations where I didn't see it coming, but as soon as it happened I went back over one or two situations in my head and could see where signs may have been there. It also turned out he was different when other men were around, and when my friend called me to ask what to do I started reaching out to other women and found a lot of them had had "off" interactions with him that left them uncomfortable (though he didn't grope anyone else that I know of).
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that sounds like this is leaning to the horrors thread - what with finding out a friend is the sort of person who gropes women.

glad you supported the woman in doing the right thing, though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1116, 1117, 1118 ... 1131, 1132, 1133  Next
Page 1117 of 1133

Jump to: